Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best time for making substitutions?

• 14-09-2008 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

So, just a little something different to get a few opinions on.

What, in your opinion, is the best time to make changes?

I'm not talking about forced substitutions because of injuries, but tactical sibstitutions.

One thing I don't really understand is managers making changes in the first three or four minutes after half time. Why not just make the changes at HT?

Also, you hardly ever see changes being made in the first half of games, it's as if managers have a mental block about doing it.

Myself, I think the best time to make a change is somewhere between 60 and 70 minutes, I could probably scale that back to a five minute window 63-68 minutes.

It gives the player enough time to settle into the flow of the game and make an impact, the rest of the players around him to adapt to the new tactics, and the whole team as a unit to get used to the new system.

Now, I know that the different tactics will have been practised in training, but still, it takes a bit of time to adapt on the field of play.

Anything over 70minutes, and I think it's a waste of time, unless your going gung-ho four-up-top for the last ten minutes or something. But for more subtle changes, I think twenty, twenty-five, minutes is needed to fully see the effects of the change.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

61 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If you are behind, between 65-70 minutes. If you are ahead, the minute after the other team does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

PHB wrote: »
    If you are behind, between 65-70 minutes. If you are ahead, the minute after the other team does.

What if it's a draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Football Manager has taught me the answer to this question is 62 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Mr Alan wrote: »
    61 minutes.

Old Skool!!!

And therfore correct!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just before the team scores a goal tends to be the best time

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Des wrote: »
    What if it's a draw?

Depends if you're chasing or trying to hold on. Same principles apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

If you're getting tanked 3 or 4-0 by half-time, then defo chuck on 2 subs and change the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

59 mins, just to balls up peoples Fantasy Football selections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

If Paul McShane is your only sub then the correct answer is .... never.

However I would say 67m30s is the perfect time to make a substitution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

As the game dictates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Savman wrote: »
    As the game dictates.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

One thing I don't really understand is managers making changes in the first three or four minutes after half time. Why not just make the changes at HT?

Perhaps the manager wanted to make sure that the opposition didn't make any HT changes themselves before changing his strategy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

90+ when winning. at home puts pressure for ref to blow up especially with fans whistling. home/away because it gives your team time to organise and stops the flow of opposition attacks plus refs dont seem to add enough time onto injury time when a sub happens. anyone think they should ban subs in injury time? (as long as injury time is less than 5 mins say)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

When you're defending a corner....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

65th minute for me.

Always worked in Championship Manager anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Fizman wrote: »
    65th minute for me.

Always worked in Championship Manager anyway :)

66th minute was always the most prolific minute for goals in the old champ.

I miss it :(

I think very generally speaking 60-70 minutes seems the most logical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

So, just a little something different to get a few opinions on.

Also, you hardly ever see changes being made in the first half of games, it's as if managers have a mental block about doing it.

Myself, I think the best time to make a change is somewhere between 60 and 70 minutes, I could probably scale that back to a five minute window 63-68 minutes.

In terms of 1st half changes, there's probably some good reasons - the coach/manager has worked all week with these players, has had the opposition scouted thoroughly, has planned everything for the big match. With this volume of preparation, to make a tactical change in the 1st 45 mins is an admission that he has got it wrong. Also, as you say re: 2nd half subs, players are usually given a chance to play their way into the game. They might have a dodgy 1st 20 mins and find their form later on.

Also, it might knock a players confidence to whip him off before halftime.

As for the "give him 5/10 mins in 2nd half" bit - it gives him a chance to go out and improve but i imagine it's more to do with seeing how the opposition line up 2nd half and see how they start, see how the game is flowing etc. A sub can also slow down/disrupt the momentum of the game, so maybe 55/60 mins is better than half time.

Advertisement