Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for more micro light fying info

Options
  • 14-09-2008 12:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Saw in the magazine Fly Ireland that kilkenny has a flex wing micro light for lessons

Rang the guy Vincent and might book an hour a flight in a few months time when finace allows that luxury

tel 052 253343 weekends and office hours I think

mobile 0868497878

cost 120 per hour which isn't too bad a price considering how much everything in Ireland costs but the new morgage is killing me

At that price a few hours a year will be my max that I can do

Lucky done 4 hours in flex wings before so I will get more benifit but years ago was so much cheaper than today

Any body know a suitable low cost forgien location I can go and get a good rate and do a whack of hours and get to do solo

For full size Cesna 150 in the USA the full sized plane licence over three weeks is $5000 ~E4000 equals ~E100 per hour if you do it in 40 hours

I was looking to preferably do flying on micro light or flex wings as I might in the future buy one or get a clip on engine for a hanglider something which I might be able to afford as Full size planes like Cubs and Cessna 150 are way too much for me this side of ~2012

Anyway less hassle with transport and hangering Flex wing and to bring on Spanish holidays on the aircrafts as excess baggage sport hand luggage costs ~30 euros per item

Much less regulations flying in France or Spain on holidays and weather is good there or over the border in the north than the huge regulations than here in the ROI and the north is short spin in the car for me

No hangliding schools in Ireland and not yo keen on the paramotor and paraglider stuff like 5mph forward speed duh

I looked at the gliding school near to Naas but its still a tad outside my budget and requires to much time input hanging around all day for three flight

Derry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Hey Derry,
    Any idea how much a used micro flight would be and running costs?

Something like this http://www.microflight.co.uk/html/photos_0.html

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Prices for everything in Ireland is usually mad

If you get really old stuff from the 1980 or early 90 era should be cheaper

If you go to northern Ireland or UK to buy should be cheaper
    Going to France or Germany expect prices to be even cheaper
    USA cheaper again

The rules in ROI to fly them are complex compared to mainland europe

Those flex wings eat fuel

Hanger costs in Birr would be ~500 euro to be member and ~1000 euro to keep in the hanger
    io think kilkenny was similar to birr
    Newcastle would be more expensive I gather 2000 a year hangerage costs don't know membership rates

Really I only want to do some occasional lessons like 10 hours a year in something might be micro lights or gliders or Full size like cessna 150

My budgets dont reach to buying anything except maybe a hanglider with simplex pusher motor such as this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfl4Ek9A89U&feature=related

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powered_hang_glider

and even to get that second hand will probably break the bank so have to wait a few years before buying one

But I might get lucky with the lotto or getting a promotion or big raise from the boss and go more up market

Derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 clynch

hi fellas,

just wondering what the crack is with the licence you require to fly micro lights here in ireland?

cheers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

clynch wrote: »
    hi fellas,

just wondering what the crack is with the licence you require to fly micro lights here in ireland?

cheers.

Best I can tell from doing two flights recently with them is they are severely controlled in ROI compared to lots of other countries.The rules and regulations are nearly a severe as normal light aircraft.Also its not cheap at sorta like some ~160 per hour for learning which is marginaly cheaper than light aircraft.Its nearly that you might as well do light aircraft in ROI as after you can still buy a mictro light fly that and still have a full aircraft licence.Best to contact the differnt schools around the country.Northern Ireland might now be much cheaper with the drop in sterling.

I think I will go to Spain/France or USA and fly hangliders there instead as thats more my budget.

Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pfiddle

Hi Did you ever get any links or addresses for micro flights. I'm dying to have a go. I live in West Waterford and there's nothing around here.
    I'd seriously consider fixed wing IF it would allow me to eventually fly micro.

Peter
    derry wrote: »
    Best I can tell from doing two flights recently with them is they are severely controlled in ROI compared to lots of other countries.The rules and regulations are nearly a severe as normal light aircraft.Also its not cheap at sorta like some ~160 per hour for learning which is marginaly cheaper than light aircraft.Its nearly that you might as well do light aircraft in ROI as after you can still buy a mictro light fly that and still have a full aircraft licence.Best to contact the differnt schools around the country.Northern Ireland might now be much cheaper with the drop in sterling.

I think I will go to Spain/France or USA and fly hangliders there instead as thats more my budget.

Derry

• Advertisement
Advertisement