Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back boiler on the stove???

• 14-09-2008 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Just looking for some advice. I’m building a story and a half house, 2400 sq feet. I’m getting a pellet boiler to heat the hot water and rads, One of the rooms is an open plan and we are putting a stove in this room, Should we put a back boiler on to this to heat some of the rads or hot water? Would this be expensive, would it be worth while and what would be the best way to do it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭newname

Check out stovesonline.co.uk, plenty of reading there - in my opinion you should look to take hot water and a few radiators of it too. Thats what I am planning for my own house - check out some of the other posts on stoves here, just go to search option above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi
    Your wood pellet will always be lit so you will have ample hot water etc, I would suggest you get a nice stove non boiler ( try Waterford Stanley ) stove called Tara . Check btu's you need. multiply the length of room x width x height x 5 = btu output. call to any builder merchant give him the btu output they will show you stove model you want. Put thermostatic radiator valves on all rads you can control heat output to rooms

Hope this helps
    Heatherview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

One of the things i learned this past few weeks re back-boilers on stoves is that in general 2/3 of the total capacity of the fire goes to the rads/HW circuit and you have to be able to dissipate this heat.

For example: my room requires 6kw of room heat so the boiler, if I went for one with a room output of 6kw it would have 12kw in the boiler [18 total] and I would have to be able to use this heat. This would mean integrating the boiler with the current closed CH system: boiler loop must be open, i.e. vented

If I was doing this I could not use TRV's on the rads and once the HW would heat up I would have a problem.

I dont know the answer to this next question:
    Are the controls on a wood pellet boiler sophisticated enough to allow TRV's be used on all rads.
    On a gas or oil system the boiler stat will cut the boiler off if all rads at room temp, what does the pellet boiler do or is there always a rad or two that cant be turned off?

What I am doing is just putting in the stove on its own, no boiler.

Trv's only control the heat output to your radiators,they have 4/5 settings 1 to5. they can be used with pellet boilers.Check out www.baxi.co.uk the site will give you good detail on Multifuel options
    Regards
    Heatherview

Trv's only control the heat output to your radiators,they have 4/5 settings 1 to5. they can be used with pellet boilers.Check out www.baxi.co.uk the site will give you good detail on Multifuel options
    Regards
    Heatherview

No issue with how the trvs work: however if they all shut down, you need to be able to dissipate the excess heat

• Advertisement

Hello Carlow52
    These valves are set manually and will not close down automatically. Only you can turn them off

Heatherview

Hello Carlow52
    These valves are set manually and will not close down automatically. Only you can turn them off

Heatherview
    Thanks HV, had a quick look for these valves on the website but did not see them. Can you post a more definite link please?

If these are 'special' TRV's that don't shut down that is good, I was not aware of the non-closing option: I would think that the general understanding of TRV's is that they can close fully automatically: perhaps I am wrong.
    It was only in the interest of safety that I mentioned it for the benefit of people who might just see TRV here and press on.

I appreciate the feedback:)

Advertisement