Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio doors

Options
  • 14-09-2008 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Hi

Am not sure if I'm posting in the right spot so apologies if not.

Every so oftern my patio door seems to (?) slip off the runner and is difficult to open/close. Normally when this happens I can't fix it myself but a handyman pal has managed to fix it easily with a bit of tugging. However said pal is no longer around and the problem has happened again. I can't fix it myself and yet it seems such a small thing to call out a repairman for.

Any suggestion on how I can fix it?
    If I don't manage that what kind of repairman would I call?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Would need to know a bit more about the door, but I assume it's the type that hangs from rollers in a track above it, and slides in a track at the bottom. If one of the rollers at the top is seized then it can cause the door to lift at one end when opened or closed, and for the end roller to pop out of the track. If that's happening then the door needs adjusting and the rollers freed. If it's a PVC door then it will be very heavy, so I'd guess you will need help from someone who knows about such things. Who you'd call depends on where you are, but fixing it is not necessarily the simple job you think, and if it keeps happening then it needs fixing properly.

If you look at the track at the bottom, you should see one end or other out a little from the door fame. That end needs to be lifted up and pushed back into the frame, but it won't be a permanent fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

mmm sounds kind of difficult. So its GAMI time. I'm on Dublin southside - what sort of a handyman should I be looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gazelec

You could try putting grease or oil on the running tracks and open and close the door a few times to work it through,cheap and simple solution if it works

Advertisement