Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Edmonds calls for UK's borders to be shut

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

latchyco wrote: »

In the article he stated:

“Then you get people out who have committed crimes and you look at others who shouldn’t be here. Nobody knows how many people we’ve got here.”

I'm sure the EU might have something to say about this one.

Lets get a bit of perspective here - this is Noel Edmunds. Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson had similar views but I don't think they've ever been asked to sit on any UK government consultative committees (I am open to correction on this one...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I suspect a bit of "pub" talk is being hyped up here.

edit - I just checked the link - I suspect the Sub-ed is on the right track with his headline.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If closed borders stop Noel ever leaving the UK to seek TV employment, I'm sure the rest of the world will readily concur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Yes, how can you take seriously the views of a man who opened a theme park called Crinkly Bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Firetrap wrote: »
    Yes, how can you take seriously the views of a man who opened a theme park called Crinkly Bottom?

Enoch Powell didn't have a Crinkly Bottom (as far as I'm aware), and they didn't listen to him.

When there's standing-room only, they may consider action. Until then, anybody suggesting immigration restrictions will be branded a neo-nazi racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

ejmaztec wrote: »

When there's standing-room only, they may consider action. Until then, anybody suggesting immigration restrictions will be branded a neo-nazi racist.

Thats the problem right there, any time anyone talks about immigration they are pulled over by the PC police/ far left and branded a racist.

I remember Kevin Myres wrote an article abuot it only a few weeks ago, now (not talking about the article but the reaction on boards) was amazing people started spouting out "oh hes a racist,hes far right" without even reading the whole article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

On the subject of immigration ,Noel Edmunds doesnt inspire one to rush out and buy the book .But if it were somebody with a bit more ummpa or inspiration saying the same thing ,like say sir's david and richard Attenborough (or somebody of that ilk ) then it might hit home .Lots will actually agree with edmunds but then his Millionaire tax exile status (with home iin france ) will not endour him with many either

A case of dont shoot the messenger maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

magick wrote: »
    Thats the problem right there, any time anyone talks about immigration they are pulled over by the PC police/ far left and branded a racist.
    There are extremists on both sides of every debate, but that doesn't mean that people should be afraid to have the debate.
    magick wrote: »
    I remember Kevin Myres wrote an article abuot it only a few weeks ago, now (not talking about the article but the reaction on boards) was amazing people started spouting out "oh hes a racist,hes far right" without even reading the whole article.
    Myers produces an article on the subject about once a week and, in fairness, the purpose of his article is to shift newspapers, not to inform the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

This is the same man who recently claimed that his parent's souls hover around his shoulder in the form of glowing melon shaped Orbs.

see here

Maybe he perceives Britain as being overcrowded as he sees similar orbs hovering around everyone that arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Perhaps david ike has being giving edmunds some tips :confused:

But as mentioned it's not the message that's out of sorts ( he is only saying what many other celebs /politicians /ordinary people are saying ) ,it's the messenger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Edmonds is just a media tart who will say anything to get attention now that he has gone all serious. He has made a fortune up to now in being frivolous .. he is Mr Blobby. The piece in the NOTW, enough said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

djpbarry wrote: »
    There are extremists on both sides of every debate, but that doesn't mean that people should be afraid to have the debate.
    Myers produces an article on the subject about once a week and, in fairness, the purpose of his article is to shift newspapers, not to inform the public.

thats an entirely subjective opinion , on kevin myers motives that is

irish_bob wrote: »
    thats an entirely subjective opinion , on kevin myers motives that is
    More an opinion on why his articles get published. Like many other journalists at the Indo, he's a sensationalist and he sells newspapers.

More an opinion on why his articles get published. Like many other journalists at the Indo, he's a sensationalist and he sells newspapers.

again , subjective

again , subjective
    :confused: Well, yeah, it is. Have I struck a nerve? Myers fan?

:confused: Well, yeah, it is. Have I struck a nerve? Myers fan?

i like kevin myers , yes

i like kevin myers , yes

Strangely enough I concur.

I used to like reading his column in the IT (and his book) even if I disagreed violently with about 80% of what he wrote.

The paper is worse for his departure, whereas the Indo is worse for his arrival. If you get me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Back on topic people.

So how big do you reckon these melons are? Galia or Water?
    Unfortunately even the English Indo doesn't say: article:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

I think immigration into Ireland is far too high and it's time the government took action to reduce it.

Does anyone disagree?

O'Morris wrote: »
    I think immigration into Ireland is far too high and it's time the government took action to reduce it.

Does anyone disagree?

http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=roflbotmj1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Does anyone disagree?
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

With the economies going down the pan in the UK and ireland, I think immigration will be a lot less from now on anyway.

Does anyone disagree?
    Yes, but then I'm probably just being politically correct.
    With the economies going down the pan in the UK and ireland, I think immigration will be a lot less from now on anyway.
    Indeed. The ESRI has forecast net emigration for next year:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/0624/1214257072258.html

40,000 expected to arrive here next year (see here). When you account for the difference in population that's twice as many people, per head of population, as enter Britain each year. If even in the depth of a recession we're still taking in twice as many people as our nearest neighbour, what can we expect when the economy picks up again in another few years?

I think we've gone beyond the point where we can just sit back and hope that if we ignore the problem it will go away.

djpbarry wrote:
    Yes, but then I'm probably just being politically correct.

Not at all old boy. It would be politically correct if you secretly agree with me but claimed otherwise out of a fear of what people might think of you.

djpbarry wrote:
    Indeed. The ESRI has forecast net emigration for next year:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...257072258.html

Who will be the people emigrating though? The Poles have restricted movement in the EU so the number of options open to them is limited. As the Irish don't have any restrictions on their movement and as low-skilled jobs out foreign will be better paid than they are here (because of lower immigration in those countries), I would expect that a significant number of those people emigrating will be our boys. Even if they're all immigrants though the net decrease next year won't be enough to make up for this year's net increase in foreign born population.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Does anyone disagree?

Yes, theres not nearly enough hot polish women here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Does anyone disagree?

Yes.

When things go wrong and times are hard blame foreigners. Always a popular sport.

The problem with the UK economy could not be the UK voters who voted the the Muppet's who are running the country into the ground.

I wonder is he getting his ideas from ten year olds, or maybe not they are probably smarter than him.

If the UK is to close it doors to foreigners, should the rest of the work keep the people form the UK out.

On the up side with no more travel between countries we should save so much Co2 that people can shut up about it.

40,000 expected to arrive here next year (see here).
    Did you even read the headline of that article?
    I think we've gone beyond the point where we can just sit back and hope that if we ignore the problem it will go away.
    A lot of people don't consider foreign-born people "a problem"; some of us consider them friends and family.
    Who will be the people emigrating though?
    I don't care; which rock people were born on is of little concern to me.

Yes, theres not nearly enough hot polish women here yet.

Why do you single out the Polish women? Do you not think the Nigerian women are hot?

Belfast wrote:
    When things go wrong and times are hard blame foreigners.

I don't blame the foreigners. I blame the government for letting the problem get out of control.

It's like complaining about traffic congestion. To say that we'd be better off if there were fewer cars on the road is not to blame the people driving those cars. I don't blame the motorists for the traffic, I blame the government. It's the same with immigration.

Belfast wrote:
    Always a popular sport.

If you think blaming foreigners is a popular sport now, expect to see its popularity increase over the next few months along with the dole queues.

djpbarry wrote:
    Did you even read the headline of that article?

I did. Did you read the article?

40,000 people are expected to arrive here next year. That's twice as many people, per head of population, as enter Britain each year. Even in the worst year of a recession we'll still be taking in twice as many people as our nearest neighbour.

djpbarry wrote:
    A lot of people don't consider foreign-born people "a problem"; some of us consider them friends and family.

It's possible for friends and families to be the cause of problems. If you had a son who was a violent headcase and was out robbing and killing people I'm sure you wouldn't attempt to ignore that by saying he's family. Even though he would be family he would still be a problem.

I consider each one of the thousands of Doles on the pole to be personal friends of mine but I still think they're costing the taxpayer money and we'd be in a better situation if we didn't have so many of them here and so many of them ag teacht isteach.

The problem is not with the people themselves, the problem is with the number of them here and the number of them still entering the country. Ireland is a small country, we can't continue to take in this number of people without it having huge consequences for the future.

djpbarry wrote:
    I don't care; which rock people were born on is of little concern to me.

I do care. I want Ireland to still be an Irish country in a hundred years from now. If the demographic trends continue we can expect our share of the population to fall below a level where the long-term survival of an Ireland of Irish people is put in doubt.

Why do you single out the Polish women? Do you not think the Nigerian women are hot?
    Wow; grade-A straw man; well done.
    I don't blame the foreigners. I blame the government for letting the problem get out of control.
    So you don’t have a problem with the foreigners; you just want them all to **** off back where they came from? Hmm…. That sounds to me like you have a problem with the foreigners.
    It's like complaining about traffic congestion. To say that we'd be better off if there were fewer cars on the road is not to blame the people driving those cars.
    So do you tell a certain group of motorists that they can’t drive on certain roads any more? Or do you attempt to improve infrastructure, increase efficiency and/or provide alternative modes of transport?

Anyway, it’s a poor analogy. Traffic congestion is a tangible problem that can be tackled with the measures above, resulting in reduced congestion, which can be measured. You cannot accurately measure people’s intolerance of foreigners.
    40,000 people are expected to arrive here next year…
    …with 60,000 to leave. That would be net emigration of 20,000 people.
    It's possible for friends and families to be the cause of problems. If you had a son who was a violent headcase and was out robbing and killing people I'm sure you wouldn't attempt to ignore that by saying he's family. Even though he would be family he would still be a problem.
    Yeah…

As far as I’m aware, the vast majority of foreigners in this country are not “out robbing and killing people”. Unless you can demonstrate otherwise?
    I consider each one of the thousands of Doles on the pole to be personal friends of mine…
    :rolleyes:

But you’d rather they weren’t here? Some friend you are.
    Ireland is a small country…
    …with a very low population density of approximately 60.3 persons per square kilometre. This will decrease further with net emigration returning next year. We also have lots and lots of empty houses. Don’t worry – there’s still plenty of room.
    …we can't continue to take in this number of people without it having huge consequences for the future.
    We’re not continuing to take in “this number of people” – net emigration next year, remember? Don’t worry – the foreigners aren’t taking over just yet.
    I do care. I want Ireland to still be an Irish country in a hundred years from now.
    Barring genocide, it most likely will be. Do you honestly think that, 100 years from now, decedents of immigrants who have arrived in Ireland over the last few years, will not consider themselves Irish?
    If the demographic trends continue...
    They won’t, remember? Net emigration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭merrionsq

Consider this. The UK has now overtaken the Netherlands as the European country with the highest population density. That's incredible.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/ukfs_news/hi/newsid_7610000/newsid_7618900/7618994.stm

And its predicted to continue to rise in this way. Immigration is the primary factor behind this.

Is this a good thing, and is it sustainable? I don't think any sensible person would consider stopping immigration, but when you reach a population density like that its definitely time for a rethink on how many people are coming in.

Advertisement