Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Edmonds calls for UK's borders to be shut

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

djpbarry wrote: »
    I don’t know – that would depend somewhat on who the immigrants are, wouldn’t it?

What if they're the same people who have been coming here over the last few years and if they continue to take the same kinds of low-paid jobs in construction and retail? Would it help things if we had fewer of those kinds of immigrants entering the country?

djpbarry wrote:
    I mean, there are job vacancies in this country at present, are there not?

Yes there are, and it would help things if those vacancies were filled by unemployed people in this country rather than on new people coming into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

O'Morris wrote: »
    What if they're the same people who have been coming here over the last few years and if they continue to take the same kinds of low-paid jobs in construction and retail? Would it help things if we had fewer of those kinds of immigrants entering the country?
    Construction low-paid? Seriously?

Anyway, it wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense if there were still large numbers of people coming to this country looking for jobs in construction. Do you know that there are? But anyway, if a guy comes to Ireland from say, Lithuania, looking for a job specifically in construction, so what? If he can’t find one, he either gets a job in another area, or he leaves. He can't claim unemployment benefit if he hasn't been paying PRSI.

As for retail/services, scarcely a day passes without me seeing a “help wanted” sign in the window of a shop, café, bar or restaurant around Dublin.
    Yes there are, and it would help things if those vacancies were filled by unemployed people in this country...
    I don’t know about you, but if I were an employer with a vacancy in my company, I’m going to hire the best person for the job, regardless of their nationality or whether they’re currently collecting social welfare or not. Allowing patriotism or nationalism to cloud your judgement is going to have adverse effects on your business, which is ultimately bad for the economy.

Simple question djpbarry, would it help things if we had fewer people entering the country?

I don't want to put you on the spot but if you had to answer yes or no, which would it be?

Simple question djpbarry, would it help things if we had fewer people entering the country?
    What "things" are you referring to?

I think it would help the economy at large if we had fewer people claiming jobseeker allowance, but that's stating the obvious. If anything, that would be an indication of the state of the economy.

djpbarry wrote:
    What "things" are you referring to?

The labouring classes. People from my background usually refer to them as "things" rather than "people".

djpbarry wrote:
    I think it would help the economy at large if we had fewer people claiming jobseeker allowance

Do you think it would help the economy if we had fewer people entering the country and competing with people on the dole for a shrinking number of available jobs? Don't you think it would make it less difficult for those people on the dole to get back into employment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Speer

magick wrote: »
    Thats the problem right there, any time anyone talks about immigration they are pulled over by the PC police/ far left and branded a racist.

I remember Kevin Myres wrote an article abuot it only a few weeks ago, now (not talking about the article but the reaction on boards) was amazing people started spouting out "oh hes a racist,hes far right" without even reading the whole article.
    Myres was right on the money.He's the best columnist in Ireland by a mile.

The labouring classes. People from my background usually refer to them as "things" rather than "people".
    I don't believe in "classes" and I fail to see what your background has to do with anything. Besides, you used the word "things" in your original question; I was merely seeking clarification.
    Do you think it would help the economy if we had fewer people entering the country and competing with people on the dole for a shrinking number of available jobs?
    No, I think a better idea would be to create more jobs rather than reduce the size of the labour force. However, as I have already pointed out, numerous people will leave the country to find employment elsewhere and this is not a good thing in the medium-to-long term.
    Speer wrote: »
    Myres was right on the money.He's the best columnist in Ireland by a mile.
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb259/soliussymbiosus/DontFeedTheTroll.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Someone is allowed like Kevin Myers without being called a troll. The politics board has become incredibly liberal-biased in its volume of threads, particularly the endless McCain bashing in the US Election section. I applaud O'Morris for continuing this charade however, as a neutral observer Djpbarry has done nothing but answer nearly every question with a question, sidetrack the conversation where possible and generally act like a smug git. Despite the sheer volume, we're lucky as a country to have at least one useful race (East European) immigrate to our country in the last few years, I shudder when I see the situation in Holland and Britain in terms of hostility and lack of assimilation.

...as a neutral observer Djpbarry has done nothing but answer nearly every question with a question, sidetrack the conversation where possible and generally act like a smug git. Despite the sheer volume, we're lucky as a country to have at least one useful race (East European) immigrate to our country in the last few years, I shudder when I see the situation in Holland and Britain in terms of hostility and lack of assimilation.
    Yeah, you seem neutral alright :rolleyes:.

I have answered every question that has been asked of me.

djpbarry, why did you link to that picture to try to suggest that Speer was a troll? And oscarBravo, did that have anything to do with his banning? If not, do you know why he was banned? I've read through Speer's most recent post history and I can find nothing to indicate that he violated any of the rules.

Please don't tell me he was banned for agreeing with Kevin Myers because this site would really have hit a new low if that's the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Someone is allowed like Kevin Myers without being called a troll. The politics board has become incredibly liberal-biased in its volume of threads, particularly the endless McCain bashing in the US Election section. I applaud O'Morris for continuing this charade however, as a neutral observer Djpbarry has done nothing but answer nearly every question with a question, sidetrack the conversation where possible and generally act like a smug git. Despite the sheer volume, we're lucky as a country to have at least one useful race (East European) immigrate to our country in the last few years, I shudder when I see the situation in Holland and Britain in terms of hostility and lack of assimilation.

best post ive read this year , i particulary agreed with your point about dj barry

Despite the sheer volume, we're lucky as a country to have at least one useful race (East European) immigrate to our country in the last few years...
    When did “East European” become a race?
    djpbarry, why did you link to that picture to try to suggest that Speer was a troll?
    It was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. But Kevin Myers the best columnist in Ireland? Please.
    Please don't tell me he was banned for agreeing with Kevin Myers ...
    I doubt it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

djpbarry, why did you link to that picture to try to suggest that Speer was a troll? And oscarBravo, did that have anything to do with his banning? If not, do you know why he was banned? I've read through Speer's most recent post history and I can find nothing to indicate that he violated any of the rules.
    He was site-banned. Nothing to do with me, or (as far as I can tell) any of the Politics mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I'm not certain but I am very confident that if a DNA test was done that they would find that I'm genetically identical to the oldest of the island's inhabitants that they have specimens for. I've been thinking of getting one of them done but I don't know who to contact about it. I don't see any point anyway as I know what the results would show.

It's the same with most Irish people. The geneticists believe the Irish are almost entirely descended from the original stone-age people who first arrived on the island 7-9 thousand years ago. The Celts, Vikings, Normans and British had very little impact on the gene pool. We really are indigenous to the island.

I can't vouch for your genetics, but that's an awfully Norman name you're sporting there friend.
    :rolleyes:

Advertisement