Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What for you would make a great wrestling game?

• 14-09-2008 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I was going to put this in the general games section but I figured it would be better off here.

With TNA's latest exuse for a wrestling video game and the yearly bore that is Smackdown vs Raw it seems we will never get a good wrestling game for the next gen consoles.

SVR isn't bad, it has good points but the gameplay is just not as rewarding as you would want.

I'd be interested to see what people on here think would make an excellent wrestling game.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Anything that isn't SVR after 2004!
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

A totally fictious brand - that way more of the money could be invested to in-game development. With OTT wrestlers with facemasks, massive bodies, screaming lunatics and such. Something totally 'cartoony', but with realistic graphics.
    Essentially, I'd love a modern day Saturday Night Slam Masters (Snes):

118124215890.png
    slammast.png

Token shout to Nintendo's Pro Wrestling, Rock & Wrestle for the 8bit computers, Wrestle War by Sega and and The Main Event by Konami :)

VR!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Just update the No Mercy Engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

get an n64 emulator or 2nd hand console, get no mercy, then get fire pro for the ps2, you'll never need a SD game again, or if you do need a SD game just pick up Here Comes The Pain in Gamestop for about a fiver

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭herewegoagain

Here Comes The Pain was the last decent Wrestling Game that came out here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 heyarnold

an arcadey game is not good, a real wrestling simulator is needed.

i like no mercy but we need next gen graphics with the same fun as that game has.

Still playing no mercy , buton my PC. I have it mostly updated with WWE / Legends / ECW / TNA

It plays great and looks great see some of the screens .......

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7378/bambambigelow5tv.png

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9092/rowdyroddypiperpreviewgm0.png

http://i38.tinypic.com/es4t2q.jpg

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/7903/nmz1sg3.png

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/3741/v3finalop6.png

You can also check a Vid of it here ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8zjfgwi_zg&feature=related

Its very good and if anybody wants to try it and is running into difficulties, just drop me a PM and i will see if i can help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mrstpatsfc

i really think wwe would be on to a winner if they combined all the smackdowns into one mega game.

id say the success of the game would be great although hopefully the price wouldnt be too ridiculous as its alot to ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Out of all the games I probably enjoyed Smackdown 2 the most, I think that was the game that attempted to give the player as much creative freedom as possible. Am I right in saying that you could create a kind of "faction" for yourself by interacting with other wrestlers backstage in story mode in that game?:confused:

• Advertisement

I still find it hilarious that people can't let go of No Mercy. Yes it was a great game, but it's not gonna happen again, there's not gonna be a second coming of it (although Def Jam Vendetta/FFNY came close).

It's gone, bye bye. :)
    VR!

I still find it hilarious that people can't let go of No Mercy. Yes it was a great game, but it's not gonna happen again, there's not gonna be a second coming of it (although Def Jam Vendetta/FFNY came close).

It's gone, bye bye. :)
    VR!

That was N64 right? Never played No Mercy, sounds like I missed out.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭rizzla

I haven't touched a Smackdown game since Here Comes The Pain. Recently got SVR 08 and really enjoyed it.

My advice. Don't play the new release each year, wait 3 or 4 years so the updates to the game seem much, much bigger. Plus you save money.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    That was N64 right? Never played No Mercy, sounds like I missed out.:pac:

Yeah it is. I missed out on it's release but i got an N64 second hand in 2002 and played it to death, then i got a PS2 the following year and got hooked on SD - SYM and then HCTP.

No Mercy was an awesome game though, It was a CAW freak's wet dream, there wasn't a wrestler could you create (and apparently still isn't with the work that's still being done with it via emulation).

I just find they all move too slow and clunky for me these days.
    VR!

You can still play it , read my post. Its better then ever with new textures . More up to date rosters then any other game out there. More moves and better AI .

Why let it go when there is no game that can compete with it ?

Because even with the new textures, it's still so-so by todays standards.
    Also not all of us want to sit hunched in front of their PC playing games ;)

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

No Mercy was just so far ahead of any wrestling game it is insane. The story mode was up there with any RPG and the amount of variation was insane. My fondest memory was with Kurt angle as Hardcore champion, for some reason I won all my title matches without touching a weapon and I got a storyline about it. How clever was that game

Bubs101 wrote: »
    No Mercy was just so far ahead of any wrestling game it is insane. The story mode was up there with any RPG and the amount of variation was insane. My fondest memory was with Kurt angle as Hardcore champion, for some reason I won all my title matches without touching a weapon and I got a storyline about it. How clever was that game

Damn!:eek: I take back what I said about SD!2 having the most creative freedom. I wished I played it!

You still can on a PC via emulation. Dre lives playing that game, send him a PM and he can give you the details on where to get it.

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

You still can on a PC via emulation. Dre lives playing that game, send him a PM and he can give you the details on where to get it.

VR!

It's so hard to set up though. Just buy a 64

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »
    It's so hard to set up though. Just buy a 64

The new textures are hard to set up, to play the bog standard version it's a piece of piss. :)

VR!

Textures are not hard to set up. You just have to understand how it works.

You are given a menu with every wrestler.

Say you have John Cena

it will say

Hair Shaved
    Colour blue
    face 45
    Accessaries eye patch
    Hat Bandana 2
    Colour 4

So its confusing when you hear eye patch and Bandana , but once you do it you end up with his real face.

Then an easier option is use the memory pack. For 90% of the wrestlers you download you get a memory pack. So you just go to DATA and then Move John Cena to you roster. Simple as that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Accessaries eye patch
    Hat Bandana 2

Sounds more like Jean-Pierre Lafitte than John Cena :D

The chain gang pirate. So THAT was the reason it didn't work for Burchill, he wasn't part of the CHAIN GANG!

I seeeee. ;)
    VR!

Actually one thing that can make a wrestling game great are the reversals. SVR is just terrible for them. Also i think if a game has a bad reversal system it should just do automatic reversals.
    Also reversals should only be done when your momentum is up.

Weight detection is also a huge issue. SVR worked on weight detection for a while but it was still horrible. No mercy was good for that as you you could really do is try knock the big guys down with clothes lines or just slam them .
    If you did have a strong wrestler you could just try the slam but it takes as much out of you as it does them .

Advertisement