Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

netgear wgr614 v7 router will not broadcast ssid

Options
  • 14-09-2008 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭

ok i was making some changes to my routers settings and it rebooted itself after saving the changes.

but the problem is it never came back online.

I reset the router to factory settings and set everything up again but it just wont broadcast the wireless signal.

if i plug a cable in i can access the internet but nothing is detected on the wireless.

On the router the internet icon is a solid green also is the port 1 light which im connected to but the wireless light has a steady flash. Should the wireless jave a solid light instead of flashing.

Im been at this for hours and cant figure it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

ok i was making some changes to my routers settings and it rebooted itself after saving the changes.

but the problem is it never came back online.

I reset the router to factory settings and set everything up again but it just wont broadcast the wireless signal.

if i plug a cable in i can access the internet but nothing is detected on the wireless.

On the router the internet icon is a solid green also is the port 1 light which im connected to but the wireless light has a steady flash. Should the wireless jave a solid light instead of flashing.

Im been at this for hours and cant figure it out.
    Why don't you go to the IP address of the router and make changes. This would be your gateway, something like 192.168.0.1. You can check this by going Start->Run. Type in cmd and then in the command prompt box type ipconfig. This will list your gateway address. Try typing this in the browser -

Broadcasting of the SSID might be turned off by default as a security feature but can be reenabled again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Try both 192.168.0.1 AND 192.168.0.2

Netgear use both settings and for some you need to switch sometimes from one to the other.
    Mine is set for 192.168.0.2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

ok i think you guys may have missed the point.

i cannot connect WIRELESSLY to the modem. I can connect via cable. Its not broadcasting a wireless signal. No detectable signal anyway.

The router is set to broadcast the ssid so it should be showing up when i use my laptop to scan for available networks but it is not. Other networks in surounding houses are picked up.

Right, you cannot detect the outgoing wireless signal from your modem, into your machine right?
    Have you tried replacing any drivers on your system for detecting the signal for inbuilt wireless devices?
    Just for test reasons (using the cable if poss'), go to www.driveragent.com do the free driver (that needs installing/updating) detection test.
    If it reports back that you have missing drivers or need a driver, take note of the details.
    Go search for those drivers using a search engine and install them. You can get them with driveragent but you have to pay a once off (for ever) price.

It will do no harm to try the above and help us narrow down your problem and get a solution.
    (We'll worry about directing you to "device manager" later if needed)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

the drivers on my system should be fine because i was able to pickup the network yesterday.

it was only after i made some changes and the router stopped working.
    i have factory reset the router already.

• Advertisement

ok i think you guys may have missed the point.

i cannot connect WIRELESSLY to the modem. I can connect via cable. Its not broadcasting a wireless signal. No detectable signal anyway.

The router is set to broadcast the ssid so it should be showing up when i use my laptop to scan for available networks but it is not. Other networks in surounding houses are picked up.
    Yeah I know you can't connect wirelessly but if you can connect via cable, why don't you go into the settings page of the router and enter the wireless section and have a poke around there?

the drivers on my system should be fine because i was able to pickup the network yesterday.

it was only after i made some changes and the router stopped working.
    i have factory reset the router already.

Forgive me for asking why probably a stupid question but what was the changes you made (and why)? I'm assuming you made them to your system.
    If the changes you made were indeed to your system, why did you reset the modem when that was working fine with the other systems able to detect the wireless modem? As far as I can see the wireless router was working fine, just your systems ability to detect is outgoing (and receiving) signal failed depending on the changes you made to it.

Have you tried something as simple as rolling back the pc in time using the restore points? Small chance it might work also but worth thinking about.

If indeed upon resetting the router, all your systems completely were unable to detect its signal, then the problem is still with the modem. If one or two others are now able to detect its signal then the other remaining (non)working systems are the ones that need to be altered, re-calibrated, etc.

Have you tried looking now at the systems that are working, taking note of all the settings (i.p. adresses, server settings, etc) on them and seeing that they match up to the systems that are not working?

I assumed it was to the router he made changes? - Going by the first line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Try the 60 second Netgear reset - Step 2 here:
    http://vpncasestudy.com/reset.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Update the firmware, version 9 is the current one for the 614.

MC

• Advertisement
Advertisement