Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll editing - add more options

Options
  • 14-09-2008 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this has been done to death, but search has been fruitless for me. It's obvious why they can't be removed but why can't you add extra options to a poll once it has been created?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Adding extra options may give choices they would have voted for to people who voted when they were unavailable. Therefore it wouldn't give a true reflection of the poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Distortion of results is one reason.

Take a simple poll such as what is your favourite colour?
    Offer 3 choices, red, green or blue. After 200 posts you add yellow, now it looks like out of 200 posts nobody like yellow.

Not important in a poll like that but in a more serious context the distortion could affect people views of a serious subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

What is you had like a 10 minute limit for people to edit the poll? I started on once and only realized I left out two (very important) options after I was promoted by two boardsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

How about a short window of time where you can add any forehead-slappers? For example I can still edit the opening post on this thread which could theoretically distort the meaning of the next two posts. But it seems to be accepted that allowing people to manage their posts for a short period of time results in generally better posts.

Edit:
    Beaten to it by turgon. By 1 minute, no less

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moderators can (usually) edit polls.

Most polls here should be capable of being done with ten or fewer options

I think its good to force people to think out a poll before they create it - most don't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It would make polls rather pointless if they could be edited after creation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If, as has been said, the poll edit time was limited and (IMO) any votes reset when an edit is saved it might go someway to making people think out their polls before posting, and discourage people editing polls multiple times if they piss off too many people by resetting it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Hagar wrote: »
    Distortion of results is one reason.

Take a simple poll such as what is your favourite colour?
    Offer 3 choices, red, green or blue. After 200 posts you add yellow, now it looks like out of 200 posts nobody like yellow.

Not important in a poll like that but in a more serious context the distortion could affect people views of a serious subject.
    Yes, should an opening poster have this ability, it would discourage me from ever voting in a poll. I'm all for a 10minute editing window though.

Advertisement