Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

catalytic converter Renault Megane

Options
  • 14-09-2008 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

I think the catalytic converter is gone in my '05 megane. There is a smell when I start the engine. Does anyone know how much it costs to have it replaced in a Renault service center?? and is it ok to drive till it is fixed?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Most new cars would have the "check engine" light come on if the cat was gone. The smell (while obnoxious) is normal.

It's not a problem to drive it even if it is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Avns1s wrote: »
    Most new cars would have the "check engine" light come on if the cat was gone. The smell (while obnoxious) is normal.

It's not a problem to drive it even if it is gone.

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated. There are no warning lights on so maybe it's not the cat. I just never noticed the smell before which is puzzling me as I've had the car 2 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cabbott

generally the engine management light will not come on if the cat is gone, the cat does not have a sensor to detect a problem, there is 1 sometimes 2 lamda sensors on the exhaust, if the car has 2 the second will be mounted after the cat to measure oxygen levels to tell if the cat isnt functioning, also if you dont have a rattle in the exhaust, ie. the cat, the cat should be fine, either way you wont do any harm to the car driving it. what can happen though if the cat breaks up inside is, it can block up the exhaust and the car could be down in power. a rare occurance though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Advertisement