Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres for an Astra

Options
  • 14-09-2008 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

I have to replace the 2 front tyres on my car. They're not bare, or close yet but they're wearing due to length of service.

What I want:

Superglue grip
    Comfort
    Speed

I'm willing to spend a decent bit on the tyres, as they're the secondary defence against mounting a ditch as the primary contact with the road. They're 195/60 R15. The current are 88H, but I'd prefer to go to a higher rated tyre and possibly a different profile ratio (I'm assuming 65 would give more comfort and 55 more grip??).

I'd like to get the V design tyres, but can't see them on eiretyres, though Advance may have them

Also, are all season tyres best, or will summer tyres do in our climate?

If I can't get the "V" tyres in my price range I've narrowed down to these:

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,976 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm using Eagle F1 'summer' tyres no bother here (the ones you link as V design); I suspect you really only need all-season ones in snowy climates.

They're V-rated, which is only one notch up from H; you'd need to be a very naughty boy for H-rated tyres to be pushed beyond their speed capabilities...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

MYOB wrote: »
    I'm using Eagle F1 'summer' tyres no bother here (the ones you link as V design); I suspect you really only need all-season ones in snowy climates.

They're V-rated, which is only one notch up from H; you'd need to be a very naughty boy for H-rated tyres to be pushed beyond their speed capabilities...

It's not about pushing, more about the safety of the tyre. I'm also assuming the V rated tyres are stronger, therefore longer lasting than H rated rubber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

V rated tyres have a softer compound to warm up quicker and so "stick" better under pressure. V rated tyres will wear faster due to being softer if your oem spec requires H rated stick with them as you don't need any higher spec. They will last longer and should be a lot cheaper than V rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

are you talking v rated or v tread pattern?

those eagle f1s look good - i never had any complaints about goodyears
    also toyo proxes t1r have a v pattern and are highly rated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,976 ✭✭✭✭L1011

VH wrote: »
    are you talking v rated or v tread pattern?

those eagle f1s look good - i never had any complaints about goodyears
    also toyo proxes t1r have a v pattern and are highly rated

Both! ninety9er wanted to get higher rated tyres; and the next speed rating up from what he has is V, he was also looking at getting tyres with a V profile tread design.

Yup

So stick with the H is what you're saying?

Given I'm not doing excessive mileage, and I'm onlly replacing the current tyres due to age, would the V rated tyres be worthwhile on the grip front as they'll probably be replaced on the basis of age rather than wear in 5 or 6 years.

what annual mileage are you doing?

VH wrote: »
    what annual mileage are you doing?
    Around 7-8k miles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

What are you driveing..................

• Advertisement

thetyreman wrote: »
    What are you driveing..................

An Astra

i've never gotten more than about 20k miles out of tyres - i'd stick with the recommended spec but get something decent like those goodyears

You will have to change the 4tyres if you are going to change the size,but yea changeing to a V rated 195/65/15 would be a better size allright,assumeing you change the 4 of them.DONT MIX the sizes whatever you do.
    Going to a V rated will suite you if it is safety you are putting before wear,and you will get (should get,assumeing the car is wearing the tyres straight,and even,get it tracked aswell to be sure)20,000 out of them.

Dont bother with EIRE tyres they work out dearer in the end,by the time you go to your local tyre man and get him to fit them,if he is going to fit someone elses tyres he will make it worth his while(take it or leave it)thats my attitude anyway when someone comes into my depot with there own tyres.

You should be able to get a V rated premium tyre such as Semperit,dunlop,bridgestone for about 90euro includeing fitting and balencing of your local tyre shop,probably not with Advance though,
    (take a spin to Kildare and ill look after you))hahahahahahahaha

I'd have the difference spent on fuel getting to Kildare. I was only using EireTyres to do my research. I'll be buying at Advance, my dad's friend is a depot manager so I should get a knockdown price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

V rated tyres, in my opinion, is overkill on an Astra. H rated is more than adequate. As posted earlier, Vs will wear quicker and are more expensive to replace. If you don't push the car then H rated will do nicely - and save you a few Euros that you can spend on fuel....

crosstownk wrote: »
    V rated tyres, in my opinion, is overkill on an Astra. H rated is more than adequate. As posted earlier, Vs will wear quicker and are more expensive to replace. If you don't push the car then H rated will do nicely - and save you a few Euros that you can spend on fuel....

That's the kind of feedback I'm after really. And since a few of you have said it. I'll probably stick with H for this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Dont bother with EIRE tyres they work out dearer in the end,by the time you go to your local tyre man and get him to fit them,if he is going to fit someone elses tyres he will make it worth his while(take it or leave it)thats my attitude anyway when someone comes into my depot with there own tyres.

You should be able to get a V rated premium tyre such as Semperit,dunlop,bridgestone for about 90euro includeing fitting and balencing of your local tyre shop,probably not with Advance though,
    (take a spin to Kildare and ill look after you))hahahahahahahaha

As a matter of interest, what would you charge to supply, fit and balance a set of 4 Goodyear F1s for a 17" rim?

What size 17.

ninty9er wrote: »
    That's the kind of feedback I'm after really. And since a few of you have said it. I'll probably stick with H for this time.
    Scrap my feedback so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Tyreman what would you consider a reasonable price for potenzas with fittings?

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    LolaDub wrote: »
    Tyreman what would you consider a reasonable price for potenzas with fittings?
    Need 1 sizes
    2 speed rateing
    3 load rateing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Be janey at 11 on a sun night my head isn't ticking over! just got a full change of four potenzas-40's for an rx8 231bhp cost 840 all together. First time i've had them changed so for next time i definitely want to know whats the best i could get a good job for?

Scrap my feedback so.

Not that I'm ignoring it, but I can't afford 4 tyres right now and can't justify the expense.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Is it an Astra or an Ascari?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt your insurance invalid if running on underrated rubber (i.e. if the car came with V's you have to keep V's on it)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

What size 17.

215/45/R17 91Y

Mr.David wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt your insurance invalid if running on underrated rubber (i.e. if the car came with V's you have to keep V's on it)?

Can't see how it would be considering that it would be more dangerous to run on balding tyres than underrated ones. And I was talking about uprating, not downrating anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭patrickc

if your defo going with advance I had a 00 astra and had continental tyres on it, they were the conti eco contact ones I think, they were only ones I ever got 40k miles out of, good grip in all weather and worth the 100 ish maybe a bit more each.

with my current volvo I use firestone they seem to handle best on it, but only get 20/25k miles out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Surprised it hasn't been said yet: you should move the rear tyres to the front, and put the new ones on the rear. Counter-intuitive I know, but true nonetheless. More stability on corners and under braking.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

esel wrote: »
    Surprised it hasn't been said yet: you should move the rear tyres to the front, and put the new ones on the rear. Counter-intuitive I know, but true nonetheless. More stability on corners and under braking.

100% true, although I fear this may kickstart the whole debate all over again :)

Advertisement