Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I buy mates '99 Golf? Advice needed!

Options
  • 14-09-2008 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Looking to balance spending the minimum possible with ensuring that I'll have a car that is at the same time reliable for next few years. Funds very limited but in need of car for new job. My friend says he will sell his '99 Golf for €3,500. The car has 72,000 miles and has a 1.4 litre engine. It's in very good nick otherwise. It has its NCT but is not taxed at minute.
    Is this a good idea? Are there wiser moves for this sort of cash? Could I spend less and still get what i'm looking for?
    I'd greatly appreciate any advice.
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

My friend says he will sell his '99 Golf for €3,500. The car has 72,000 miles and has a 1.4 litre engine. It's in very good nick otherwise. It has its NCT but is not taxed at minute.

Id never sell a car to a friend & like wise them as well. I'd shop around before you think about this deal. A friendship is more important then a car. I'm sure a lot of people have this experience i am sure not just with cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

If it is a '99 year model be aware of the burning oil problem.
    While the engine is hot, open the oil filer cap and check is there a lot of smoke coming from the engine and as well pull the dipstick while the engine is hot and if there s smoke coming from the dipstick then you know it is burining oil for sure.
    Just be aware of that.

As far as i know there are few other problems with the Golf but not really sure what they are, but most of the people here would be able to inform you about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭randombar

honestjohn.co.uk is a good site for things to look out for!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There are no guarantees, but something like this is less likely to go wrong than a modern VW.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Corolla/Vvti-Terra/1184695/

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

seems pricey for a 9 year old 1.4 Golf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

toooo pricey by far lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Mileage seems pretty good.
    Those new ads on the site here are a pain in the arse to look at though

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€3,500 for a 9 year 1.4 Golf is expensive. Some friend you have there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cabbott

sounds a bit pricy to me too, i wouldnt sell to, or buy from a friend in a hurry. when i sell a car i like to see it go a long way, that way its clean cut, and finished with. out of sight out of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Top Dog

€3500 doesn't sound lke the best deal to me either.

We bought our current car off a trusted friend, but it was very well priced and he told me exactly what was good/bad with it. 8 months later and no regrets, though I wouldn't normally suggest it as being the best idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

bazz26 wrote: »
    €3,500 for a 9 year 1.4 Golf is expensive. Some friend you have there.

Ahh comeon thats not really fair, the friend is probably just trying to sell it for what he feels its worth

IMO though, i'd never buy a car from a mate, just too dodgy and could ruin your friendship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Wow 3500e for a car that will be ten years old next year. You most be joking.

Modern VW's realiable, Id rather that my chances with a 70's VW bettle instead.

VW owners think they can just pick a price and thats what its worth.

VW buyers think they re buying quality.

I wouldnt pay any more than 2k at a big push. Remember likihood is that suspension parts will need to be updated, same with brakes, clutch etc. factor those costs into the price.

It would have to be in mint condition for 3.5k

• Registered Users Posts: 20 magicaljaso

Thanks for all your responses. I think I agree that it is not the best idea to buy from a friend. Just wanted to be sure i wasn't passing up a bargain. Obviously not! I'll have to try figure out the best way of spending my 3.5g budget. Reliability is key.
    Any suggestions?
    (if i'm supposed to put this on a new thread please let me know, i'm new at this)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

3500 isn’t dear. Go on to car zone and check. I paid 4500 for my 99 golf a year ago and i got a good deal I made sure that i knew how much other golfs were going for. Well my golf is a minter so was wroth it anyway:P

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Vain wrote: »
    3500 isn’t dear. Go on to car zone and check. I paid 4500 for my 99 golf a year ago and i got a good deal I made sure that i knew how much other golfs were going for. Well my golf is a minter so was wroth it anyway:P

What they ask for and what they end up getting on carzone are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭leex

00 reg Corolla above would be a decent purchase for 3500k. My brother has one same age, same model, similar milage and it is in great condition. Near 45mpg which is as good as you'll get for a 1.4petrol and the VVTI engine is nippy.

Corolla's are boring alright but very reliable.

bazz26 wrote: »
    What they ask for and what they end up getting on carzone are two different things.

Ud be doin well to get a 99golf with 70k for under 3500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Golf s are very overpriced and they are not even that good.

kluivert wrote: »
    Wow 3500e for a car that will be ten years old next year. You most be joking.

Modern VW's realiable, Id rather that my chances with a 70's VW bettle instead.

VW owners think they can just pick a price and thats what its worth.

VW buyers think they re buying quality.

I wouldnt pay any more than 2k at a big push. Remember likihood is that suspension parts will need to be updated, same with brakes, clutch etc. factor those costs into the price.

It would have to be in mint condition for 3.5k
    See when you say you would take your chances on a car that's nearly 40 years old instead no one's going to listen to your advice. It's clear you don't know much.

• Advertisement

FX Meister wrote: »
    See when you say you would take your chances on a car that's nearly 40 years old instead no one's going to listen to your advice. It's clear you don't know much.

I was being OTT the make a point.

I dont think modern VW are built as well as old ones, from which they re reputation is built and based on and thus the high residual values.

I know for a fact that the Bettle was so well made that VW made a fortune selling them however VW noticed that sales started dropped because of the fact they where so well made that people where holding onto them and not replacing them.

Even the advertising campaigns spin the same stunt, ever hear the ad of the young lad going for a job wanting 100k a year and 6 weeks holidays a year, the ad closing it the line " VW owners are use to getting what they want".

Thats my point buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

OP I think youve already decided against it but to give my answer; no you would be mad to spend €3500 on whats effectively a 10 year old golf. Max I would offer would be €2500, but for the sake of the friendship I wouldnt bother incase your friend gets insulted.

Have a look elsewhere. good bargains to be had at the mo.

barryfitz wrote: »
    OP I think youve already decided against it but to give my answer; no you would be mad to spend €3500 on whats effectively a 10 year old golf. Max I would offer would be €2500, but for the sake of the friendship I wouldnt bother incase your friend gets insulted.

Have a look elsewhere. good bargains to be had at the mo.

€2500 not a chance you would pick a 99 golf up for that not one in good nick anyway. I know its nearly a ten year old car but there not cheap cars to buy and hold value really good

kluivert wrote: »
    I was being OTT the make a point.

The MKIV had a deserved rep for it's quality. I personally don't know anyone that's had any serious problems with them and I've had very little go wrong with my own. That said I had considered trading up to a MKV GTi but the build quality on the new ones isn't as good. Because of that I'm thinking of a MKIV R32, but not with our tax system, I'm waiting til I move to the UK next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 magicaljaso

Thanks for the help everyone. gonna keep looking around. not worth negotiating with a mate...

I'm thinking of a MKIV R32, but not with our tax system, I'm waiting til I move to the UK next year.

The Mk V R32 is a very good looking car especially in blue.

Tax system in the Uk is great. Far cheaper than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The MKIV had a deserved rep for it's quality. I personally don't know anyone that's had any serious problems with them and I've had very little go wrong with my own.

I really didn't think much of the build quality on mine. Nothing went seriously wrong in fairness, but I thought it was a pretty average car in most respects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Here's the thing..

one day someone on carzone put their car up for too expensive of a price, someone followed and it was a snowball result..meaning hundreds of people now have their cars up for unrealistic prices. It eventually happened with nearly every car tbh.

So..95% ofpeople advertising on carzone are dreamers.

Now that's cleared up..

Golfs aren't good cars IN GENERAL..
    especially! not a 1.4 golf.. slow as phuck, good luck overtaking!
    if you're getting ANY golf(and I wouldn't touch off any except the 1.8T) then get a tdi, decent engine.
    3500 for a 99 1.4 golf with that much mileage is a joke tbh.

anyone who pays those asking prices advertised on carzone is being taken for a fool.

and Vain, I could pick up a 99 golf with that mileage for 2500 grand in the morning without even trying hard. Don't be so naive in thinking the cars are worth as much as they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 babba black she

great car go forever price wise ..you tell me but it seem ok..???..they are a great car that go forever the engines will do 200,thousand miles,with only a change of oil.http://motors.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/Cars__W0QQManufacturer946977f1ZVolkswagen1489b7cbQQQ5ftrksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em282QQModel4710b09ZGolf21f482QQ_dmptZAutomobilesQ5fUKQQ_flnZ1QQ_mdoZCarsQ2dPartsQ2dVehiclesQQ_pcatsZ9800QQ_sacatZ9801QQ_ssovZ1
    there are much better car in the uk import one you get more for you money..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭PaddyofNine

ClioV6 wrote: »

So..95% ofpeople advertising on carzone are dreamers.

Now that's cleared up..

This is interesting - I'm currently shopping around online for my first car and am considering a 98/99 Golf. My budget is €2,500 at a push... how much would you say people over-advertise their cars on carzone by. 10%?

(I know the 1.4L isn't the nippiest but they seem to be a nice looking, reliable car, and as this is my first insurance, which I'm paying for throughout my last year of college, I can't exactly go for the 2.0 GTI just yet!)

Advertisement