Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How tolerant are you of average service?

Options
  • 14-09-2008 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Are Irish people demanding enough in their desire for great customer service? For instance, during the boom years, we all apparently accepted over priced services, delivered by inexperienced staff, who wouldn't understand the concept of emotional intelligence, if it slapped them in the face. Think of the last time you received a great service experience?....exactly! We seem to accept ****ty experiences, thinking it the norm. I came back from the states recently, where the desire by the front of house staff to make you genuinely feel valued was exceptional.

Does excellent customer service count for nothing these days in Ireland? Will the downturn make a difference?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'm so used to ****ty service in Ireland (especially in "non-tip" jobs like call centres, support, etc.) that I don't even think about it anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I used to let services get away with some stuff but I quickly learned that if you give them in inch, most take a mile.

Nowadays, I let them away with NOTHING. I am their worst nightmare.
    If I have paid my money and they don't live up to the advertising and/or contract - I create holy war on their asses (after giving them a reasonable chance to respond of course).

If they decide to frak with me ...I unleash hell! :mad:
    (and I ain't kidding either)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Biggins wrote: »
    I used to let services get away with some stuff but I quickly learned that if you give them in inch, most take a mile.

If I have paid my money and they don't live up to the advertising and/or contract - I create holy war on their asses (after giving them a reasonable chance to respond of course).

If they decide to frak with me ...I unleash hell! :mad:
    (and I ain't kidding either)

must be a fulfilling life you lead

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

RantorRave wrote: »
    Are Irish people demanding enough in their desire for great customer service? For instance, during the boom years, we all apparently accepted over priced services, delivered by inexperienced staff, who wouldn't understand the concept of emotional intelligence, if it slapped them in the face. Think of the last time you received a great service experience?....exactly! We seem to accept ****ty experiences, thinking it the norm. I came back from the states recently, where the desire by the front of house staff to make you genuinely feel valued was exceptional.

Does excellent customer service count for nothing these days in Ireland? Will the downturn make a difference?

I get the impression your idea of 'service' should include a footfub or, if appropriate, a blowjob...?

When the "emotionally unintelligent" staff have to deal with morons who think they're God, why are you surprised staff don't go the extra half-mile?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

krudler wrote: »

LOL actually with a wife and three kids (one on the way too) it is a fulfilling life.
    For the sake of the kids, I can't afford stuff to go wrong with them around.
    Their safety and care is paramount. If a service/company wants to adversly effect them, they can expect a sleeping dog/dad to turn around and bite them back!

We Irish are too easy on companies that are way TOO quick to take our money but not live up to their end of the deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

It may be, someday

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I get the impression your idea of 'service' should include a footfub or, if appropriate, a blowjob...?

When the "emotionally unintelligent" staff have to deal with morons who think they're God, why are you surprised staff don't go the extra half-mile?

agree completely, having worked in retail for years and worked in a call centre as well, i could write a book about the sheer ignorance and stupidity of customers who think that making peoples lives a misery is going to get them better service, I've bent over backwards for customers to sort things out for them and you barely get a thanks,fair enough if something has gone wrong you should have it fixed or be compensated but its not the end of the world, and if i ever have an issue with something a calm explanation will get you a lot further than shouting at some person behind a counter or on the other end of the phone will

LOL actually with a wife and three kids (one on the way too) it is a fulfilling life.
    Their safety and care is paramount. If a service/company wants to adversly effect them, they can expect a sleeping dog/dad to turn around and bite them back!

We Irish are too easy on companies that are way TOO quick to take our money but not live up to their end of the deal.

what companies do you deal with that endanger your kids?!

what companies do you deal with that endanger your kids?!

Unsafe Toy manufactures
    (bad) Food makers
    Cot makers (one nearly killed one of our kids!)
    Bad carpenters that made something that turned out to be very unsafe easy to collapse.
    A sofa that put me, my kids and wife in hospital: see www.theruddsite.com
    Etc...

The majority of Irish are just too lax-a-daisy about getting their moneys worth.
    I have heard so many times "O' its not worth the hassle" - well sometimes it is...
    If the majority of business see that they won't be chased for shoddy work, what CAN we expect in honest reality in response from them!
    Slap it up, do a quickie, take the money and run!

Their safety and care is paramount.
    If a service/company wants to adversly effect them, they can expect a sleeping dog/dad to turn around and bite them back!

We talking directory enquires here? Yeah, that can be minefield...

EDIT - having rtead your reply to Krudler:
    Unsafe Toy manufactures
    (bad) Food makers
    Cot makers (one nearly killed one of our kids!)
    Bad carpenters that made something that turned out to be very unsafe easy to collapse.
    A sofa that put me, my kids and wife in hospital: see.theruddsite.com
    Etc...

Who the hell do you get all this stuff from? Krusty the clown??

• Advertisement

lol:D

Funny but did you bother to read about the sofa that meant months (still ongoing) of Dublin and Drogheda Hospital stays and trips - besides the 3 times a day many different treatments and special daily ointment baths! (from Christmas last year to now)

When your kids are waking up screaming, bleeding from head to toe from the eyes, nose mouth and face... Their bed clothes, bed sheets dripping with blood, etc (and thats not including my wife and I affected too)
    ...then tell me it's funny!
    See how happy you would be to let companies get away with things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Fair enough but to be sure to complain to the correct person!
    Oh the countless bullies I've dealt with or seen who think the part-time student working as barstaff, waiteress or sales assistant is responsible for the "rip-off" prices :mad:. Do you think part time staff have to authority to set prices or decide what's on sale in any business?
    I've had people roar at me when the tax on cigarettes went up :rolleyes:. Eh, direct your concerns towards Dail Eireann and the Minister of Finance

You will get a lot further be calm and assertive then simply shouting and screaming.
    Taking it on staff earning minimum wage isn't exactly brave or clever.
    Ask for a manager and look to be taken seriously. And always ask for a persons name on a call, they know you're serious

Funny but did you bother to read about the sofa that meant months (still ongoing) of Dublin and Drogheda Hospital stays and trips - besides the 3 times a day many different treatments and special daily ointment baths! (from Christmas last year to now)

When your kids are waking up screaming, bleeding from head to toe from the eyes, nose mouth and face... Their bed clothes, bed sheets dripping with blood, etc (and thats not including my wife and I affected too)
    ...then tell me it's funny!
    See how happy you would be to let companies get away with things!

Much as I feel for your situation, you said that you were "used to let services get away with some stuff but I quickly learned that if you give them in inch, most take a mile". This is a far wider general statement that you are now refining.

Also, most of the stuff (toys, foot, cots) you alluded to is more accurately catagorised as shody workmanship than actual service. Service is what happens when you want someone to help you do something, rather than the actual quality of a physically bought products. If it's the hospital that's procuring this stuff, I'd advise you to both let them know (if you haven't done so already) and contact the manufactuers, as well as complain about the hospitals.

I always make sure I get the right person. Many know whats its like to be blamed in the wrong for something.
    If I can't directly talk to the right person, I track them down. Most of the time we shouldn't blame the junior staff as much as we'd like to, its the managers and owners that are steering the business/store/contracts.
    Chase them and your on the right track.

I always make sure I get the right person. Many know whats its like to be blamed in the wrong for something.
    If I can't directly talk to the right person, I track them down. Most of the time we shouldn't blame the junior staff as much as we'd like to, its the managers and owners that are steering the business/store/contracts.

you shouldnt be blaming the junior staff at all, unless someone has actually messed up themselves then you have a genuine complaint with them , if its an error by the company they work for then shouting at them will get you nowhere and make you come across as a twat

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Are you one of these people who just make life akward for everyone? Are you one of those customers who go into a shop just for confrontation. Or are you just incredibly unlucky.

From reading your posts here you seem to have a difficult life. I can't remember ever having as many bad experiences with products/service a you. As I said, you seem to be very unlucky and certainly not the average Joe Soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'm very tolerant of average service, because, by definition, that's what I can expect. I reward "great" or above average service by tipping, or a pleasant smile and a thank you, depending on the situation.

For below average service, it again depends on the situation. When I'm paying for groceries I expect the cashier to acknowledge my existence in some manner - whether it be by looking at me, saying hello, whatever. If I get someone who says nothing but "21.95", I'm not too fussed about it, I just won't bother shopping there again. If I'm in a restaurant and the waiter doesn't bother checking if everything's OK, or has to be repeatedly reminded of drinks orders, for example, I might just not leave a tip. If the waiter throws things at me and swears at me (never actually happened), then I'd be speaking to a manager before he had a chance to finish.

Above average service is nice to come across. Great service is a delight.

In fairness, he (Biggles) never said he didn't (blindy accuse the wrong person).

Had a look at the site - think I found the page you're talking about. The company picked up said sofa "that nearly killed you and your family" and took it off your hands inside three hours. Another company gave you a replaement sofa for free...?

As I said, the sofa is the problem, not the 'terrible' service.

The prolem with that service was that they denied they knew about the problem as soon as we started suffering.
    ...despite it been on Watchdog, in the newspapers, Irish and British magazines - O' and 600 other cases reported ...and they had the gaul to say "O' we know nothing about this!" a few times (we have evidence that shows others also reported the problem to their business too by the way locally alone prior to our problem emerging)

We didn't get a free sofa by the way. Another shop heard about our case and as soon as we paid for a new one, kindly delayed moving others sofas and got one to our house as soon as possible.
    We are eternally grateful to them still.

The boys that took the lethal sofa away were independents. The lads that shifted it were told "to get rid of it as soon as possible!".
    They can from the other side of the country to shift it quick before we got the media involved in our case too. They were too late!

Going back to the main subject, people are sadly too willing to accept less than what they are entitled to for the money they have handed over.
    The Irish people should stand firmer. If they did, rep's/companies/shops/etc would often moreso think twice before fobbing us all off.

I make a clear point of NEVER shouting etc at staff.
    If something ends up in a court later, that is never good for your case.
    Be polite, take notes as soon as you can of what was said and by whom, times and dates, etc.
    Do it right, do it professional, act professional and keep to the facts, don't embellish. It can backfire on you.

Know your rights before approaching your possible opposition (god bless the internet and forums such as these).

On the flip-side I always make a point of also thanking good staff. The do exist. I could name many.
    To those that go beyond the call of duty - as me being a parent alone - ye are angels.
    May you get the thanks you rightly deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I dont think its relevent to compare the service in the U.S with Ireland-the set-ups are too different.
    As regards service in Ireland, Ill complain and ask for recompense if somethings amiss.However Ill always complain in mannerly way and expect to be treated accordingly.Ive seen too many people ,in restaurants in particular, act in a totally unacceptable way.Examples being:shouting,insults,etc

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    I've seen too many people in restaurants in particular, act in a totally unacceptable way. Examples being:shouting,insults,etc

Spot on. I having been a minor barman (I got out of the business after being attacked too many times) and seen that so, so many times could not agree more.
    I got blamed for everything from me taking people's money for what they lost in the gaming machines (the staff never get anything from them!) to trying to stop them (I got thumped too) having fun while they are spinning around on a dance floor with an open bottle of beer spilling it on everyone, but god forbid I stop their fun!

the thing with customer service its that a lot of it is relative, one person can be happy with a simple transaction, "hi,heres your change, thanks", whereas others expect waiters to backflip over to them with fireworks erupting from their heads and a marching band playing you to your table (well maybe not but you get the idea), if I walk into Tescos and the girl at the till isnt overly friendly, well so what? i'm proably the 500th person shes dealt with that day so its not to be expected that a beaming ray of sunshine will emit from her mouth when i come to the till, as long as someone isnt rude to me i dont see the point in getting worked up over wether a complete stranger was nice to me for 20 seconds while i bought something, now i like good service as much as the next person and having worked in retail and been on the other side of that counter in more than one job i can safely say that customers can be just as bad or worse, i had a guy throw a dvd at me once because he felt he was queuing for too long ( the week before christmas in a busy high street shop btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 RantorRave

From what I am reading since my OP, it's quiet obvious the majority are happy with average service. Great customer service, can be as simple as doing the basic's, saying hello with a smile, looking the person in the eye, making small conversation when approp, thanking the customer with a smile etc. It's not rocket science folks. It's obvious so many of you are content with average! It doesn't matter whether you are working in a call centre or a restaurant, the same principle's apply. Just imagine if you owned a service business how you could differentiate yourself if you delivered the basic's. Next time your at the supermarket, or your local shop or any service business for that matter, look out for the above "simple things". Be consious of it and report back here what you see!

From what I am reading since my OP, it's quiet obvious the majority are happy with average service. Great customer service, can be as simple as doing the basic's, saying hello with a smile, looking the person in the eye, making small conversation when approp, thanking the customer with a smile etc. It's not rocket science folks. It's obvious so many of you are content with average! It doesn't matter whether you are working in a call centre or a restaurant, the same principle's apply. Just imagine if you owned a service business how you could differentiate yourself if you delivered the basic's. Next time your at the supermarket, or your local shop or any service business for that matter, look out for the above "simple things". Be consious of it and report back here what you see!

It's a sad state of affaris when "hello" and "doing the basics" are considered "great" customer service - how would you define "average"? And "poor"? Most of the serivce I get is consistant with what you list above.

I tend to judge the company by the service I get, rather than the individual. If the service is shoddy and rude, chances are the company hierarchy is gonna be the same. The individual probably perks up once the the shift ends and they head home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

In my experience, I always found it funny how some members of staff, that I felt had exceptional customer service and were training other staff members in service, still got complaints.

These staff would often get a letter a month from a customer thanking them for their service but still they had complaints against them.

Most complaints arose when customers wanted something other than what was offered to every customer, such as refund when receipt was out of date etc.

But still they would complain about their attitude or tone or that they kept smiling.

Is the answer to the service issue to raise prices and give all staff the power to do unprofitable things like refund a year after purchase for change of mind and a taxi home when you've had to come into store for a refund on a faulty item!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 RantorRave

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    In my experience, I always found it funny how some members of staff, that I felt had exceptional customer service and were training other staff members in service, still got complaints.

These staff would often get a letter a month from a customer thanking them for their service but still they had complaints against them.

Most complaints arose when customers wanted something other than what was offered to every customer, such as refund when receipt was out of date etc.

But still they would complain about their attitude or tone or that they kept smiling.

Is the answer to the service issue to raise prices and give all staff the power to do unprofitable things like refund a year after purchase for change of mind and a taxi home when you've had to come into store for a refund on a faulty item!!

your missing the point. Customer service should not "kick in" only when a problem arises. Great customer service should be present in every element of your interaction with the company and not neccessarily at the point where you have a problem.

your missing the point. Customer service should not "kick in" only when a problem arises. Great customer service should be present in every element of your interaction with the company and not neccessarily at the point where you have a problem.

Once said item is bought, the only time you're going to need customer service is when there is a problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Not unless you are willing to pay accordingly! With all the complaints about Rip of Ireland etc. I can assure you that the prices now would be nothing compared to what you'd have to pay for people to stand around dealing with customers all day in a "great customer service spirit".

The fact of the matter is can you get it? Yes, but if you go into McDonalds don't expect to have Ritz style of service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irishbird30

Service is not something that should depend on price!! But how come no-one gets this concept.....you shout and scream at the unfortunate that picks up the phone to try and assist you then chances are you will get the bare minimum done to resolve your problem! If you calmly tell them what your issue is, and the resolution you hope to achieve then chances are they will go over and above to ensure you leave a happy bunny. Motivation is in fairly short supply in call centres - but if you want respect then you gotta give it!!!

Advertisement