Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How tolerant are you of average service?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

We do accept bad service.

Take the Health service its paid loads and the money just drains away - I blame the nurses I do. In all seriousness.

They are in the front line and are supposed to be running the places. What do we get MRSA they cant even keep the places clean. People on trollies and they go on protest for more money and less hours. Now theres a recession will they go back to the old way NAH. With builders getting huge pay cuts benchmark to that.

Then you have the teachers. The last strike they were telling us all the additional service they give to the community. Choirs, sports coaching , plays. A veritable paradise we lived in with all the lovely things teachers do for us except ....teach.

Thats what they are paid for - i think if your kids do badly at school they should pay for grinds. Irish teachers - dont make me laugh.

No folks we do accept lousy service and this is especially thru of lousy public services - I think they should be benchmarked to stuff like the builders labourers wages for a while.

How can you have public servants advise governments on their own pay structures. Ridiculous.

Does everyone notice how quiet they all are now.

Thats my rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

CDfm wrote: »
    We do accept bad service.

Take the Health service its paid loads and the money just drains away - I blame the nurses I do. In all seriousness.

They are in the front line and are supposed to be running the places. What do we get MRSA they cant even keep the places clean. People on trollies and they go on protest for more money and less hours. Now theres a recession will they go back to the old way NAH. With builders are getting huge pay cuts benchmark to that.

Then you have the teachers. The last strike they were telling us all the additional service they give to the community. Choirs, sports coaching , plays. A veritable paradise we lived in with all the lovely things teachers do for us except ....teach.

No folks we do accept lousy service and this is especially thru of lousy public services - I think they should be benchmarked to stuff like the builders laboueres wages for a while.

Does everyone notice how quiet they all are now.

Thats my rant.

You're gonna be jumped on here, so I'm getting in early.

Nurses - you have any idwa how many hours they work? And you say it;s not enough...?
    Teachers - They'e coaching you kids, teaching them to sing and be artisitc outside of school hours and you consider this bad service...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky poo - nurses are very well paid -great holidays and great pensions. easy life -no one criticises nurses. Well maybe we should.

Isnt it 37 hours a week now and they complain cos they cant get enougjh phillipinos to do the work.

Its only on telly that nurses are rushed of their feet.

Teachers -= dont make me laugh - coaching choirs etc few and far between and these things are hobbies.

An intercontinental truck driver has more stress - an aircraft mechanic fixing a plane more responsibility and dont get paid as much or have job security or pensions.

We pay their wages and they let us down.

They are public service workers and the only thing they do is hold the public to ransom.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ikky poo - nurses are very well paid -great holidays and great pensions. easy life -no one criticises nurses. Well maybe we should.

Isnt it 37 hours a week now and they complain cos they cant get enougjh phillipinos to do the work.

Its only on telly that nurses are rushed of their feet.

Teachers -= dont make me laugh - coaching choirs etc few and far between and these things are hobbies.

An intercontinental truck driver has more stress - an aircraft mechanic fixing a plane more responsibility and dont get paid as much or have job security or pensions.

We pay their wages and they let us down.

They are public service workers and the only thing they do is hold the public to ransom.

as someone who once dated a nurse that statement is.....staggering, easy life? are you actually demented? nurses especially ones who work in A&E wards have to put up with drunken and drugged up fools every night who are too pissed to realise they are trying to help them , the girl i was seeing had been attacked quite a few times while at work and once had a junkie headbutt her because she wouldnt give him more drugs, would you do this for less than what people who work in Mcdonalds make?

A vested interest - I love that.

There are lots of nurses in management - in other countries there are drunk tanks- so that could be changed. A couple of male nurses and a few ex-army medics would clean up A&E for the real sick.

Set up a clinic in a few portacabins in Store street.

Who keeps the drunks and druggies coming back the nurses.

Dont tell me that everyone in Ireland has access to A & E -they dont. Plenty of towns and villages in Ireland have no A & E. Its the Dublin nurses keeping it open for Dublin junkies. Take Dungarvan in Co Waterford or Middleton Co Cork - no A & E.

So half the country get crap service and pay for it from their taxes.

• Advertisement

A vested interest - I love that.

There are lots of nurses in management - in other countries there are drunk tanks- so that could be changed. A couple of male nurses and a few ex-army medics would clean up A&E for the real sick.

Who keeps the drunks and druggies coming back the nurses.

Dont tell me that everyone in Ireland has access to A & E -they dont. Plenty of towns and villages in Ireland have no A & E. Its the Dublin nurses keeping it open for Dublin junkies. Take Dungarvan in Co Waterford or Middleton Co Cork - no A & E.

:confused:

how exactly?

they could refuse to treat druggies and junkies in A & E

now thats a stance you cant argue with

and people with non self inflicted injuries can get a look in and maybe culchies can get a decent service

or better still close dublins A & E and fund paramedics for country areas

they could refuse to treat druggies and junkies in A & E

now thats a stance you cant argue with

and people with non self inflicted injuries can get a look in and maybe culchies can get a decent service

or better still close dublins A & E and fund paramedics for country areas

just......wow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

So they refuse to treat the drunkies and druggies or else have muscle "deal with them" then what? Leave them die on the street? Go to an A&E right now and see what a cushy scene the nurses have set up for themselves. :rolleyes: How do they keep them coming back? The issue is the ****ty government not dealing with addiction problems, carers and drop in centers, not the nurses who have to mop the blood off the drunks when one looks funny at another.

I dont think country people are well served by A & E - if all thats using them is drunks and junkies.

Its up to people to say why subsidize a Dublin junky drunk culture.

Thats bad service for everywhere else.

Give them medical bunkers patch them up if you want.

No one forces junkies to take drugs - its not the governments fault. No one forces a junkie to take drugs.

Addiction centres my ass - give them the equivalent of antabuze which makes them relly sick if they drink or drug.

Then leave them off. They have it too easy.

The nurses are just enablers stopping them from kicking drugs. I am all for toughlove.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 mealone42

RantorRave wrote: »
    Are Irish people demanding enough in their desire for great customer service? For instance, during the boom years, we all apparently accepted over priced services, delivered by inexperienced staff, who wouldn't understand the concept of emotional intelligence, if it slapped them in the face. Think of the last time you received a great service experience?....exactly! We seem to accept ****ty experiences, thinking it the norm. I came back from the states recently, where the desire by the front of house staff to make you genuinely feel valued was exceptional.

Does excellent customer service count for nothing these days in Ireland? Will the downturn make a difference?
    I for one am disgusted by extremely poor services supplied by services such as UPC. I have issues going on with them for months but they will not supply service. They make the service so difficulkt to access that we just end up getting pissed off and hanging up. ESB is no better. AIB is slightly better. Maybe now that we are in freefall they will lose many customers and hopefully treat the remainder like valued customers and not as now as if we were ruining their day by ringing them with complaints

I dont think country people are well served by A & E - if all thats using them is drunks and junkies.

Its up to people to say why subsidize a Dublin junky drunk culture.

Thats bad service for everywhere else.

Give them medical bunkers patch them up if you want.

No one forces junkies to take drugs - its not the governments fault. No one forces a junkie to take drugs.

Addiction centres my ass - give them the equivalent of antabuze which makes them relly sick if they drink or drug.

Then leave them off. They have it too easy.

The nurses are just enablers stopping them from kicking drugs. I am all for toughlove.

so just so we're clear on this, junkie falls over and breaks nose, goes to a&e, nurses patches him up while proably being showered with abuse from junkie, all nurses fault?

yes if the junkie behaves like an animal treat him/her like an animal

have a basic vetinary service- patch em up basically and send em packing

they are using scarce resourses that are better deployed elsewhere

no drunks or junkies = no nurse abuse

any nurse who doesnt support that is an enabler

id go further and cut of their dole and housing benefit anything that gives them cash

id go further and cut of their dole and housing benefit anything that gives them cash

ah i get it, its all the nurses fault people take drugs as they enable them to do that, thanks for clearing that up

i am not saying that.

what i am saying is that nurses are professional caregivers and have a powrerful group the irish nurses organisation looking after their interests

they have a huge influence on their own working conditions

if it was nurses decision to not have drunks and junkies in A & E then it would happen

it would frree up resouses

nurses want it everyway and want it everyway and conveniently want to hide behind drunks and junkies for sympathy.

i believe treating junkies in A & E enables them- nurses dont want to give that up cos it makes them look good

Did your friend get compo for her attack - bet she did.

i am not saying that.

what i am saying is that nurses are professional caregivers and have a powrerful group the irish nurses organisation looking after their interests

they have a huge influence on their own working conditions

if it was nurses decision to not have drunks and junkies in A & E then it would happen

it would frree up resouses

nurses want it everyway and want it everyway and conveniently want to hide behind drunks and junkies for sympathy.

i believe treating junkies in A & E enables them- nurses dont want to give that up cos it makes them look good

Did your friend get compo for her attack - bet she did.

are you serious?

krudler wrote: »
    are you serious?
    of course i am

what i am saying is that there is a group in society drunks and junkies that benefit disproportionately from free health care thru A & E and other mechanisms

these are scarse resourses better deployed elsewhere- media manipulation or medea manipulation takle you pick

I am also saying its a very emotive subject attacks on nurses and they are not all that frequent but nurses use it as a ploy for publicity in paytalks

load a & E with a few dozen sleeping of drunks and you have a sleeping on trolley issue

also you can treat a junkie or drunk anyold way

So i dont nesscessarily believe in the altruistic "Mother Teresa of Calcutta" vision of a nurse we are given.

The problem with drunks and junkies in A & E is easily solved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Right this proves you haven't spent much time in A&Es. What do you think nurses do in the A&E? Have a cup of tea with the junkie? They do their job to the best of the ability that that junkie allows them, then the junkie is released. I agree no drunks and junkies would be hugely beneficial to the health service, would free up more beds/resources, save the country a bucket load of money. But what can a nurse do? Quit? You're blaming the wrong people here. That's like a sales assistant in Cork gets shouted at by a customer for the prices that are set in England by management. Do you say they're an enabler of international price fixing?

of course i am

what i am saying is that there is a group in society drunks and junkies that benefit disproportionately from free health care thru A & E and other mechanisms

these are scarse resourses better deployed elsewhere- media manipulation or medea manipulation takle you pick

I am also saying its a very emotive subject attacks on nurses and they are not all that frequent but nurses use it as a ploy for publicity in paytalks

load a & E with a few dozen sleeping of drunks and you have a sleeping on trolley issue

also you can treat a junkie or drunk anyold way

So i dont nesscessarily believe in the altruistic "Mother Teresa of Calcutta" vision of a nurse we are given.

The problem with drunks and junkies in A & E is easily solved

which is?

krudler wrote: »
    which is?
    no junkies =no nurse abuse

close down dublin A & E and replace it with a more democratic nationwide service.

Dublins service may decrease but ther would be fairer sharing of scarce resourses nationwide

And nurse abuse would cease

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

no junkies =no nurse abuse

close down dublin A & E and replace it with a more democratic nationwide service.

Dublins service may decrease but ther would be fairer sharing of scarce resourses nationwide

And nurse abuse would cease

Um, what? Dublin is home to approx quarter of the population of the country. That's why there's more junkies in Dublin.

Are you saying Monaghan, with approx 1% of the population should have as many A&Es as Dublin?

There are 50 hospitals in Ireland. Of these, about 12 are in the Dublin area. This includes maternity hospitals that don't do A&E. That's 24% - or nearly the same as the relative percentage of population. How is this unequitable?

CDfm:

You're stated that nurses give crap service and have an easy life. You're now advocating they DON'T do their job when certain people come into their wards...? I'd have thought a willingness to deal with vomiting pissheads and junkies goes beyond the call of duty of 'service'.

Teachers - you said that teachers participaing in extra curricular services is a 'hobby'. May or may not be true, but again they're providing a service that most parents seem to find extremly beneficial. At least, a lot of said parents would be finiancially ****ed if said services were withdrawn; either having to pay/find afternoon childcare or take time off work themselves.

no what I am saying is quite simple

nurses love treating junkies and its a waste of resources that could be better deployed elsewhere

And lets face it nurses are great at wasting billions of resources - the health service budget trippled in recent years its the biggest spend in the state and they much it up

in dublin for minor traffic accidents you will have 2 or 3 emergency vehicles ambulances etc

my view is that resourses are unfairly allocated in a dublin centric way for years and have been for years and all to pay for dublin drunks and junkies

seperate out junkies to a little concrete bunker somewhere

you bleeding hearts really get me - there our junkies they should get the best of care - seems to be your proposal

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    CDfm:

You're stated that nurses give crap service and have an easy life. You're now advocating they DON'T do their job when certain people come into their wards...? I'd have thought a willingness to deal with vomiting pissheads and junkies goes beyond the call of duty of 'service'.

Teachers - you said that teachers participaing in extra curricular services is a 'hobby'. May or may not be true, but again they're providing a service that most parents seem to find extremly beneficial. At least, a lot of said parents would be finiancially ****ed if said services were withdrawn; either having to pay/find afternoon childcare or take time off work themselves.
    ikky pooh - whats wrong with seperating out junkies etc from mainstream care in the health service. If Dublin people want those services allocated to their junkies then they should be prepared to have lower quality services elsewhere.

on teachers- if the local telecom engineer coaches a football team he doesnt get paid for that - if the local secretary is involved in meals and wheels she doesnt get paid- if the local sales manager is involved in Vincent de Paul he doesnt paid for it. Its a civic duty that is personal and rendered to the community as a personal thing.

A lot of teachers dont even live in the communities they work in so dont provide the services - give them a paycut -these services are not work related.

ikky pooh - whats wrong with seperating out junkies etc from mainstream care in the health service. If Dublin people want those services allocated to their junkies then they should be prepared to have lower quality services elsewhere.

Nothign wrong with that, but it's got nothing to do with quality or service from nurses. In fact, you're askign them to withderaw a service.
    on teachers- if the local telecom engineer coaches a football team he doesnt get paid for that - if the local secretary is involved in meals and wheels she doesnt get paid- if the local sales manager is involved in Vincent de Paul he doesnt paid for it. Its a civic duty that is personal and rendered to the community as a personal thing.

A lot of teachers dont even live in the communities they work in so dont provide the services - give them a paycut -these services are not work related.

Again, you'll get services withdrawn. And parents screwed for afternoon childcare.

It actually sounds like you're asking these people to do LESS service, not give MORE.

Hang on a second, a few posts back you were complaining that teachers other activities like choirs and sports are hobbies now you're saying they should be given a paycut for partaking in things they dont get paid for in first place?!:confused:

although judging from your spelling and grammar your teacher should have taken a major paycut:D

I am saying that there is a choice here- all I am saying is to target resourses towards the sober people. You seem to have a big problem with discriminating towards the real sick.

drunks and junkies make a lifestyle choice and the rest of us suffer thru crime traffic accidents and a whole lot of infringements on our rights because of the health resources medical and police resources set aside for them

cut those resources and they will be too bombed out to notice

what i am saying is that loads of people perform a service as part of their community and teachers do the same- why should they be paid for being members of a community and others dont.My daughter is in a GAA club - no teachers needed to run that.

this is voluntary work and i can think of a whole lot of reasons why this "imaginary" work should not be paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

drunks and junkies make a lifestyle choice and the rest of us suffer thru crime traffic accidents and a whole lot of infringements on our rights because of the health resources medical and police resources set aside for them

Social situations play a huge part in whether or not people become addicted to drugs. For many it is not a lifestyle choice,it is life. If you are born into a poor family who are all drug addicts or drunks then you have a huge chance of going down the same route. Sitting on the outside looking in it is easy to say,they chose to take drugs,but in certain social conditions it seems to them that there is no choice at all.

On the other hand,if someone from well off or "respectable" background decides to take drugs,and becomes addicted,then that could be called more of a lifestyle choice. But you cannot generalise that every junkie has made a "lifestyle choice".

tvnutz wrote: »
    Social situations play a huge part in whether or not people become addicted to drugs. For many it is not a lifestyle choice,it is life. If you are born into a poor family who are all drug addicts or drunks then you have a huge chance of going down the same route. Sitting on the outside looking in it is easy to say,they chose to take drugs,but in certain social conditions it seems to them that there is no choice at all.

On the other hand,if someone from well off or "respectable" background decides to take drugs,and becomes addicted,then that could be called more of a lifestyle choice. But you cannot generalise that every junkie has made a "lifestyle choice".

its all relative - another bleeding heart liberal.

You guys dont help all you want to do is perpetuate the problem.

junkies are the most self serving group of whingers and spongers that ever lived- i cant believe that you buy into all this

why should we all pay because of "family issues" that they have and they accept as their social norm.

If a junkie or drunk mamma has a child you offer them a choice continue with the lifestyle or your child goes up for adoption. There are loads of couples looking for kids to adopt.

It may be tough but in a generation the cycle of behaviour would be greatly reduced.

Thats not being radical -thats just being practical and reducing state expenditure to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

its all relative - another bleeding heart liberal.

You guys dont help all you want to do is perpetuate the problem.

junkies are the most self serving group of whingers and spongers that ever lived- i cant believe that you buy into all this

why should we all pay because of "family issues" that they have and they accept as their social norm.

If a junkie or drunk mamma has a child you offer them a choice continue with the lifestyle or your child goes up for adoption. There are loads of couples looking for kids to adopt.

It may be tough but in a generation the cycle of behaviour would be greatly reduced.

Thats not being radical -thats just being practical and reducing state expenditure to boot.

You have failed to address my earlier point with proven statistics about the services available across the country. Your statement about minor traffic accidents having 2 or 3 emergency services at the scene is also false. I'll let you find those stats yourself, they're quite available. I have very little time or patience with junkies. You are saying that we all want to perpetuate the problem. Please define what problem you're talking about so that we can have a rational discussion. I'd also appreciate if you can provide a source quote (a medical journal will do) for the statement "nurses love treating junkies". I've not met anyone in the medical profession who has ever claimed to love treating junkies, however my acquaintances in that profession are limited to approximately 30 people, so that's not a representative sample.

Advertisement