Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How tolerant are you of average service?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Where are you getting your informatrion about nurses wages compared to commercial sectors from? Not disagree with you - just want to see them.

People can criticise nurses as much as they like, but they need to be prepared for rebuke if they do, especially from people who have spent time in hospitals as patients. Feedback from them regarding the quality of service FROM THE NURSES ALONE AND NOT THE HSE tends to be excellent.

Say what you like about the unions, it's a seperate issue. You need to remember we're talking about ground-level service here.
    People say the quality of nursing care in Irealand is great because they have nothing to compare it to. Compared to the US or France it is mediocre.

Pretty poor compared to Saudi Arabia.

Compared with Cyprus they are good. Thats if you want to use Cyprus as a benchmark. And you dont.

Thats the sort of level I would put them at.

So the comparisons are subjective and not objective.

I dont have these type of stats but am sure they are available -however -on pay alone they are misleading not including pensions etc in the packaged comparison. So the comparisons are flawed.

I will stand by what I say the nurses and their organisations are so resistant to change that they are being rumbled and the public is getting wise to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

CDfm wrote: »
    People say the quality of nursing care in Irealand is great because they have nothing to compare it to. Compared to the US or France it is mediocre.

Pretty poor compared to Saudi Arabia.

Compared with Cyprus they are good. Thats if you want to use Cyprus as a benchmark. And you dont.

Thats the sort of level I would put them at.

So the comparisons are subjective and not objective.

Have you experienced hospital care in any of those countries?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Have you experienced hospital care in any of those countries?
    Yep - Ive worked there.

Yep - Ive worked there.

Excellent. Aad what way is the nurses AT GROUND LEVEL ONLY care better than in Ireland (and whay do I have to drag all this out of you? - my post count is too high as it is!)

Nah still think they are overpaid prima donnas

Visiting a relative 2 years back - he was contantly moved ward and it really disorientated him post op. I had to speak to a doc to get it stopped.

A coleagues Dad is in hospital an was terrified of a catscan and was told to stop being silly. He rang his daughter she had to deal with the nurses.

Another relative told me that when she asked why her mother who is otherwise bright was incoherent was told she was senile and her bed sore was a broken hip.

Some frontline staff youre defending .

• Advertisement

Visiting a relative 2 years back - he was contantly moved ward and it really disorientated him post op. I had to speak to a doc to get it stopped.

A coleagues Dad is in hospital an was terrified of a catscan and was told to stop being silly. He rang his daughter she had to deal with the nurses.

Another relative told me that when she asked why her mother who is otherwise bright was incoherent was told she was senile and her bed sore was a broken hip.

Some frontline staff youre defending .

Hey - I just asked for some evidence to back up your initial satement, and finally, after 40-odd posts, we have it. Why did you go on and on and on about junkies and unions when this would have saved so much time? The problem now is that, because you took so long to get here, it looks made-up. (Not saying it is, it just looks that way.)

No thats true.

I also think I am right about the junkies and drunks - I think its appaling that they can use up such resourses

For that matter if these are the parts of the health service I have seen the rest must be somewhere like Florence Nightengale in the Crimea.

No thats true.

I also think I am right about the junkies and drunks - I think its appaling that they can use up such resourses

For that matter if these are the parts of the health service I have seen the rest must be somewhere like Florence Nightengale in the Crimea.

A bit harsh! It might be other way round, and you've just seen the worst: why do you assume that what things are even worse everywhere else? It might be the other way around?

One way or the other, it's a bit unfair to claim that your experiences, personal though they may be, are representative.

well you did ask - i would have been happy to let it drop.

I imagine lots of people feel the same but ar too PC to say.

If I was asked by a newspaper poll or Newstalk id be " ah the nurses they are angels- living saints blah blah blah"

Course I would they usually only use you if you give your name etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

i am all for decentralising the civil serevice to the country - everyone complains that its a big huge monolith based on practices that are pre-war of independence.

i dont know - but i imagine any of the govt depatments would easily be the biggest emoployer in dublin- I say decentralisation but what i mean is modernisation. inm other words if the civil service was a private co it would be broken up.

without this inefficient public services delivery system dublin would be a ghost town so its debateable who is subsidising whom.

Nice to see a bit of tribalism

A lot og government departments have already been moved away from Dublin. They are not the biggest employer. Most private companies chose to locate in Dubln due to the economies of scale due to large population.

A centralised civil service is more efficient than de-centralised one. The civil service is highly inefficent at the moment and if it were fully decentralised it would be even worse. The only reason that it is being de-centralised to to being emplyment to places where private industries would not locate as it is uneconomic to do so.

The vast majority of taxes collected are from the Dublin region, however, huge amounts of Dublin taxpayers money are being used to subsidise people living in the country. For some unknown reason, people down the country are under the impression that the cost of living, exc. rent, should be lower outside Dublin than in Dublin. This doesn't make sense, as it costs more to transport goods to the remote shops down the country and, as the population densities are lower, the prices should be higher to make up the net margin on goods due to lower numbers of customers.

The population density of all areas outside of Dublin are patehically small and are lucky to have the services that they have at the moment.

• Advertisement

a come one -dublin people have more money spent on them.

Subsidised buses airports drug detox centers for their junkie kids all the subsidised colleges.

If its so self sustaining it should want to see shut of the civil service to give all those great Dublin busineses expand and fill the gap.

It wont happen cos Dublin relies on the civil service.

All Im asking is to move the civil service out of the city centre to places like Parkwest - Tallaght- Swords etc.

Sort out a lot of the transport and congestion problems too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Yep - Ive worked there.

You must be pretty unlucky if you've needed hospital care in every country you've worked in.

(And I actually found helthcare in Cyprus very good.)

MOH wrote: »
    You must be pretty unlucky if you've needed hospital care in every country you've worked in.

the line of work i was in at the time meant i would come accross it more often than others

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I would say 30% of them are excellent.

The vast majority of nurses these days don't have to clean the p*ss and sh*t anymore thanks to the unsung cadre of those working at Nursing Assistant level.

It is the Nursing Assistants who are the real heros in my book.

my line of work brought me in contact with hospitals and the medical profession

So i just developed a view

thats all

I would say 30% of them are excellent.

The vast majority of nurses these days don't have to clean the p*ss and sh*t anymore thanks to the unsung cadre of those working at Nursing Assistant level.

It is the Nursing Assistants who are the real heros in my book.

Thats been my impression too.

It seems that nursing is the last thing nurses want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

im hugely intolerant of anything sub average tbh, be it service or product

if its average, it depends on the price as to whether it warrants complaint or not. some things you pay dearly for youd expect that little bit extra

Advertisement