Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RTE 1 Tonight - Customs and VRT

Options
  • 14-09-2008 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

I was just checking what's on tonight and there's a show called Customs on at 7.30pm on RTE 1. It follows the work of the Customs bureau through their day to day work. What interested me was the bit about the evasion unit tracking down UK registered cars in Cork. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Must remember to tune in for it this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Not tonight. Tonight is Dublin Airport Customs.

[EDIT]Sorry OP, the Cork Customs were featured afterwards[/EDIT]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

its doing VRT as we speak. covering all bases

That's gas. The kid in the black Cooper with the bodykit is still driving around on UK plates here in Cork, I saw the car today. He was given until the 12th to VRT it, and today's the 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

ned78 wrote: »
    That's gas. The kid in the black Cooper with the bodykit is still driving around on UK plates here in Cork, I saw the car today. He was given until the 12th to VRT it, and today's the 14th.

the customs guy also said that you have 3 days to put the irish plates on after you pay the VRT so hes got til tomorrow to have the plates up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

What shocked me most was when he said he was a student and needed the Cooper for college.

Not begrudging in the slightest, but if you can afford to have a Mini Cooper for college then you can afford to clear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

bigkev49 wrote: »
    What shocked me most was when he said he was a student and needed the Cooper for college.

Not begrudging in the slightest, but if you can afford to have a Mini Cooper for college then you can afford to clear it.
    yeah totally agree.. didnt take him long to cough up
    the €600 fine either...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

ive never laid eyes on the customs people in cork, u see numerous yellow reg cars parked in similar spots in cork, for months, nothing comes of it. i loved yerman with the coopers reaction when the officer announced who he was..

"ah **** it" priceless stuff, and again the lad looked well into his 20's, how does he afford to have a cooper while going to college, but then cant pay the vrt for 9 months. for a lad going to college, not the brightest

the customs guy also said that you have 3 days to put the irish plates on after you pay the VRT so hes got til tomorrow to have the plates up.

That's assuming that he has paid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,448 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My thoughts exactly. I only saw a bit of it where the officer gave him some preferential treatment because he claimed the guy co-operated and needed his car for college. Unbelievable stuff really.

Anyway, it is good to see some crack down on tax dodging frauds...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Not sure of the back ground here, as i didn't see the program... but full time students from a foreign country are exempt from VRT (Not sure if the guy was Irish or from abroad)... If he's Irish no excuses...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

He isn't the most courteous road user either. He has a fondness for the right pedal passing my house....

Didn't see the programme but I assume it's the same guy. I always thought that Cooper was a bit "stick out" to be avoiding VRT. Plus it's always full of young lads (says he the "old" lad :D).

He's definitely Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

++ 1 on yanking him for that - a student in Cooper - who's he kidding.

They should have taken the car, though.

My wife's not happy, though........she want's to know why they're not pulling all the foreign reg cars which are clearly here permanently, and thus avoiding VRT in the first place............I won't even start on what she thinks is a major road safety argument for banning them too - left hand drive.

I know a bunch of east european cars here on their LT/LV/RU/CZ/SK plates, and, tbh........it pisses me off. No tax, NCT, no VRT, and lord knows about insurance.....

LT97 - 7 series in Galway for years.
    PO TTTT - has appeared on 2 different Audi's in Salthill over a 4 yr period......
    And the only thing wrong with the late 90's blue A4 with LT plates......? Oh, nuthin'.........it's just RHD is all...........yeah, right. What I give to see the VIN on that one.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Do you need to pay VRT though if you've owned the car for more than 6 months prior to living here? I thought you were exempt from paying it in that instance and merely had to change the reg to an Irish one. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

i actually saw an unmarked car in cork one day pull a foreign reg car, it was at the lights outside nevada browns/brannigans, as i was waiting for the lights, i could hear every word, the guard was heard to say no insurance or tax... in a bit of a negative tone to the foreign fella

the foreign fella went scrambling thru his glovebox for most likely phantom documents.

galwaytt wrote: »
    I know a bunch of east european cars here on their LT/LV/RU/CZ/SK plates, and, tbh........it pisses me off. No tax, NCT, no VRT, and lord knows about insurance.....

Must be an enforcement issue. Here in Lucan (25% of the population eastern european - my guess, based on nothing) there were literally thousands of eastern european registered cars up to about 1 or 2 years ago. There's hardly any left now. Word's out in their communities they had to get rid and they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

galwaytt wrote: »
    ++ 1 on yanking him for that - a student in Cooper - who's he kidding.

They should have taken the car, though.

My wife's not happy, though........she want's to know why they're not pulling all the foreign reg cars which are clearly here permanently, and thus avoiding VRT in the first place............I won't even start on what she thinks is a major road safety argument for banning them too - left hand drive.

LT97 - 7 series in Galway for years.
    PO TTTT - has appeared on 2 different Audi's in Salthill over a 4 yr period......
    And the only thing wrong with the late 90's blue A4 with LT plates......? Oh, nuthin'.........it's just RHD is all...........yeah, right. What I give to see the VIN on that one.........
    from what i gather,from talking to a collegue, his insurance is cheaper back in lithuania, and he can buy a much more powerful car. they then buy a boat ticket back to the mainland every so often, and can then produce it as "evidence" that they've been back home.

They're not all at it you know. My other half's Polish, and has an Irish car, Irish License, Irish Tax & Insurance too.

The major reason the Gardaí don't pull the Eastern European cars, is due to the language barrier. It's too much hassle for them to do it, and the UK plated cars are much easier to target and generate revenue from.

Not saying that I agree with it either though, before anyone suggests that.

The major reason the Gardaí don't pull the Eastern European cars, is due to the language barrier. It's too much hassle for them to do it, and the UK plated cars are much easier to target and generate revenue from.

You probably have a point there. I know for sure that the disappearance of eastern european registered cars in Lucan was not because those cars were confiscated by Gardai / customs (or even VRTd / registered for free by the owners for that matter!), but because the owners got rid of them and bought Irish registered cars to replace them with.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

That was one of the better irish produced programs on RTE. Was interesting, direct to the point and had a bit of prior thought before filming. Fair play to them! Looking forward to next week, wish if I didnt miss the start though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Anyone know if this will be repeated?

Or watchable online? Checked rte but nothing there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Would have like to have seen this myself too.

Got pulled a few months ago (in Co. Cork) in a UK plate Golf. Had literally only brought it in the night before. Had left documentation at home for it and only thing I had on me was the stub from the ferry the previous night. So the guys followed me home (well, one travelled with me and the other followed) just to check everything was legit. Had a quick check around the house too to see if there were any other foreign plated cars about (there were 4 other cars on the property at the time), and once they saw the paperwork they were happy enough that there was nothing shady going on.

The guy that travelled with me was very laid-back and chatty which was a nice impression to give, though he did reveal to me that the guy following us was much more hard-nosed and had wanted to confiscate the car off me! He told me how they had spotted the car at the side of the street and though it was clean (a hint to them that its not long landed) they still checked it out. He told me they could easily spot the cars that had been over a while as the Irish aren't generally as meticulous at keeping their cars clean as the English tend to be. They were in a battered (broken rear bumper, covered in crap) black Vectra.

I told him the car was going to be cleared by the Friday (they pulled me on the Tuesday) and he told me that was no bother. Even though it wasn't within the stated 24hours of being landed, there was a genuine reason for the delay, and as I had been so relaxed in furnishing him with all documentation (invoice, receipt, travel receipts) he said that was grand.

Car was cleared 3 days later (due to work pattern) and delivered to its new owner with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

good program, anyone catch how they knew about the girl with the cigarettes? Was a dog used to sniff those too? or they show up while scanning the luggage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Should add that while I understand they have a job to do I also found it slightly annoying that they pulled me over. Not because of the inconvenience (I wasn't in any rush) but down to the guy openly admitting that the car was spotless so they had a good idea it was only recently brought over. Like why not pull the ones that are here months and covered in crap so? I personally know of 3 people who drove around on UK plates for over 6 months before clearing their cars, but I suppose its just luck of the draw really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

unkel wrote: »
    You probably have a point there. I know for sure that the disappearance of eastern european registered cars in Lucan was not because those cars were confiscated by Gardai / customs (or even VRTd / registered for free by the owners for that matter!), but because the owners got rid of them and bought Irish registered cars to replace them with.

I've noticed myself quite a few lhd cars that now have irish registrations around lucan. I know that customs keep a computerised track and that simply going in and out of the country is not enough. .

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Top Dog wrote: »
    Should add that while I understand they have a job to do I also found it slightly annoying that they pulled me over. Not because of the inconvenience (I wasn't in any rush) but down to the guy openly admitting that the car was spotless so they had a good idea it was only recently brought over. Like why not pull the ones that are here months and covered in crap so? I personally know of 3 people who drove around on UK plates for over 6 months before clearing their cars, but I suppose its just luck of the draw really.

In fairness to them, you could have had it washed the day before after having it over here for 6 months previously. Or you could be the kind of person who washes their car every weekend. even though they said they had an idea it wasn't in the country long, they were still right to pull you over and check it out until their 'idea' was proved right.
    And for the record they do pull over lots of cars, but there just aren't enough of them to catch everyone. As you said, luck of the draw, and some people ride their luck for 6 months, some get caught, some don't and some do it the legal way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Holsten wrote: »
    Anyone know if this will be repeated?

Or watchable online? Checked rte but nothing there yet.

Anyone got any info on this? I'd love to see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Enjoyable enough programme but the incident was the "student" in the Mini pissed me off. He should have had the car seized and made pay the full fine. Can't believe they fell for his sob story.

They really need more of these patrols. In my town the number of foreign regs is on the increase. Two in my estate have been on UK plates for 4 years now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Heroditas wrote: »
    Do you need to pay VRT though if you've owned the car for more than 6 months prior to living here? I thought you were exempt from paying it in that instance and merely had to change the reg to an Irish one. :confused:

I've been looking at a UK reg'd CL500 for the last 4 years (at least) parked across the road form the Italian restaurant in Castleknock village, not to mention numerous 4.8is X5's and a handful of RR's as well as a couple of cayennes passing through the village on a regular basis.

I'd say the lack of Eastern European cars is down to the construction industry more than compliance IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Victor_M wrote: »

I'd say the lack of Eastern European cars is down to the construction industry more than compliance IMHO.

I think you're right on this one. I know of loads of Polish & Lithuanian lads who have gone back home this year.

Advertisement