Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RTE 1 Tonight - Customs and VRT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Victor_M wrote: »
    I've been looking at a UK reg'd CL500 for the last 4 years (at least) parked across the road form the Italian restaurant in Castleknock village

Oooh I know the car you're talking about. I've seen it a few times myself when we've gone up to that Italian restaurant for lunch! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I've been looking at a UK reg'd CL500 for the last 4 years (at least) parked across the road form the Italian restaurant in Castleknock village.

You could always report it, you know, if it bothers you that much:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

He isn't the most courteous road user either. He has a fondness for the right pedal passing my house....

Didn't see the programme but I assume it's the same guy. I always thought that Cooper was a bit "stick out" to be avoiding VRT. Plus it's always full of young lads (says he the "old" lad :D).

He's definitely Irish.

It doesn't matter where he is from, its where his primary residence is. I.E. Irish person resident in UK and going to college in Ireland with a car on UK plates, exempt from VRT.

The Nationality has nothing to do with exemption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

furtzy wrote: »
    They really need more of these patrols. In my town the number of foreign regs is on the increase. Two in my estate have been on UK plates for 4 years now!
    I've been looking at a UK reg'd CL500 for the last 4 years (at least) parked across the road form the Italian restaurant in Castleknock village, not to mention numerous 4.8is X5's and a handful of RR's as well as a couple of cayennes passing through the village on a regular basis.

Lads, it's not affecting you and it's not like they're smuggling drugs - it's just a car on a UK plate ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

steve06 wrote: »
    Lads, it's not affecting you and it's not like they're smuggling drugs - it's just a car on a UK plate ffs!

In fairness your right, by the way I'm going to stop paying PAYE and my annual car tax, sure it's just tax, it won't bother any one else.

• Advertisement

these people pay their PAYE and they pay insurance. Id you did a favour for a mate and he gave you €20 would you go off filing a tax return? no I doubt it!

And you don't know if these people have UK residence either... If the car has a valid uk tax disc, then they probably do!

I know if I had a house here and a place in the UK, there's not a hope in hell I would have my cars on Irish plates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

these people pay their PAYE and they pay insurance. Id you did a favour for a mate and he gave you €20 would you go off filing a tax return? no I doubt it!

And you don't know if these people have UK residence either... If the car has a valid uk tax disc, then they probably do!

I know if I had a house here and a place in the UK, there's not a hope in hell I would have my cars on Irish plates!

Aye, +1 on this,

People automatically assume that because their Foreign plates then they must be liable for VRT. This is simply not the case, its where your primary residence is, i.e. where you live normally.

Driving the car out of the country for a day makes knacker all difference as it does not prove residence.

If that was the case it would be a stupid state of affairs, double taxation all over the place.

The difference between Ireland and the UK vs Continental Europe is that you have to register with the City/Town Hall.

So proving residency in Ireland and UK is a bit of a grey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Ye same thing here, my brother brought his Clio home from Scotland with him for a years work. He used to park it in the hotel beside work which was ok, one evening he came out and there was a letter from customs on the car telling him he had to pay. They must have been watching the car.

That's great, IF you had a house in the UK and IF it was your primary residence then you would be doing nothing wrong.

Sorry to break this to you buddy, but you can't just pick and choose which laws to obey.

It's a little bit Naive to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and presume everyone is doing to right/legal thing. Hence the need for enforcement. There are way too many chancers living in Ireland.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

galwaytt wrote: »
    I know a bunch of east european cars here on their LT/LV/RU/CZ/SK plates, and, tbh........it pisses me off. No tax, NCT, no VRT, and lord knows about insurance.....

LT97 - 7 series in Galway for years.
    PO TTTT - has appeared on 2 different Audi's in Salthill over a 4 yr period......
    And the only thing wrong with the late 90's blue A4 with LT plates......? Oh, nuthin'.........it's just RHD is all...........yeah, right. What I give to see the VIN on that one.........
    How long ago did you report them?

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    How long ago did you report them?

In fairness unless you know where these cars reside there is very little point in reporting them (I'm presuming GalwayTT is just seeing them around the place)

I've had my fair share of cars removed from circulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,954 ✭✭✭✭L1011

To whom do you report cars? VRO in Rosslare couldn't seem less interested if they tried.

In fairness unless you know where these cars reside there is very little point in reporting them (I'm presuming GalwayTT is just seeing them around the place)

I've had my fair share of cars removed from circulation.
    True. However, I'm curious to know the percentage of the public who bitch (not pointing finger at galwaytt) about foreign drivers but do nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

MYOB wrote: »
    To whom do you report cars? VRO in Rosslare couldn't seem less interested if they tried.

Would also like this info. I've tried e-mailing various offices but never got a reply

It's a little bit Naive to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and presume everyone is doing to right/legal thing. Hence the need for enforcement.
    I'm not Naive - I just don't really care that someone hasn't forked out for VRT, it doesn't bother me and it never will. if they can do it for 1 week or 6 months.... I really don't care and neither should anyone else for god sake deal with your own lives and focus your energy on things that matter, it's ok to sneak a phone call to the revenue to say Jimmy down the road has a UK reg car but I bet you'd never stand up to some scum bag if you walked by him and he was dealing heroine to kids.
    There are way too many chancers living in Ireland.
    yea, and most of them are politicians and they make their own rules as they go!

I'm not Naive - I just don't really care that someone hasn't forked out for VRT, it doesn't bother me and it never will. if they can do it for 1 week or 6 months.... I really don't care and neither should anyone else for god sake deal with your own lives and focus your energy on things that matter, it's ok to sneak a phone call to the revenue to say Jimmy down the road has a UK reg car but I bet you'd never stand up to some scum bag if you walked by him and he was dealing heroine to kids.

yea, and most of them are politicians and they make their own rules as they go!
    True. However, I'm curious to know the percentage of the public who bitch (not pointing finger at galwaytt) about foreign drivers but do nothing.

I would guess about 95% - 99%, it took a fair bit of persistence for me to get my first car removed the ones after that were fairly straight forward once I had the name and phone number of a guy in Customs and Excise.

Someone asked about contact details earlier, I have posted up the information on a different thread (going back a couple of years probably) so the search function is your best bet, I haven't reported any in ages, kids now don't have the same amount of spare time I used to.

r but I bet you'd never stand up to some scum bag if you walked by him and he was dealing heroine to kids.

Never seen a scumbag dealing to kids, but if I see something wrong and I can reasonably safely do something about it I would not & have not walked past. From littering to muggings. So i'm afraid your a wrong there.

Some people have a bit more backbone than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

.E. Irish person resident in UK and going to college in Ireland with a car on UK plates, exempt from VRT.

In particular students never become resident, even if they have a long course. The flip side of this is that being a student does not count towards time required for naturalization etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ep1k-w1n

i think its a lack of back bone that makes people rat on each other.
    if the car is insured thats as far as your concern should stretch, tax, vrt nct are all just ways of extracting the most amount of money, for a 3rd world infrastructure and public service from a gutless race of people who wont do a thing about it.

i drive a green 316i 4 door around still on the nordie plates and iv never been stopped for anything, nor paid a speeding ticket, parking fine and now wont have to pay any tolls wooohooo.

heres my licence place: N863 XUK, im usually found on the m50 at peaktimes, dublin 24 and occasionally courtown. the very odd time in the lidl in tallah diffin her round in circles but dont do that any more really.

report me there all you like im sure theyll have a nice bit of cheese for you, or maybe 40 pieces of silver.

catch me if you can, me name is dan, sure im your man.

you're so cool ep1k-w1n!
    I wish I could be like you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

ep1k-w1n wrote: »
    i drive a green 316i 4 door around still on the nordie plates
    heres my licence place: N863 XUK

erm....that's not an NI reg

Never seen a scumbag dealing to kids, but if I see something wrong and I can reasonably safely do something about it I would not & have not walked past. From littering to muggings. So i'm afraid your a wrong there.

Some people have a bit more backbone than you.

No backbone... you don't even know me! It just really p!sses me off that people get so worked up about VRT, give it a rest for god sake, there's more important things to life than the fact that someone has a UK reg so get over it!

If you were in the UK would you call the cops every time you saw an Irish reg car?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anyone else noticing they had the Dog searching in brand new non registered Land Rovers. Probably just off the boat. They did have plastic seat covers on but the dog was scratching over the centre console plastic. I would be bullling
    if i bought that car..

Have to say the lad running into the Glass Automatic Doors in the airport trying to get away was class. Sore head!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,954 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ep1k-w1n wrote: »
    i think its a lack of back bone that makes people rat on each other.
    if the car is insured thats as far as your concern should stretch, tax, vrt nct are all just ways of extracting the most amount of money, for a 3rd world infrastructure and public service from a gutless race of people who wont do a thing about it.

i drive a green 316i 4 door around still on the nordie plates and iv never been stopped for anything, nor paid a speeding ticket, parking fine and now wont have to pay any tolls wooohooo.

heres my licence place: N863 XUK, im usually found on the m50 at peaktimes, dublin 24 and occasionally courtown. the very odd time in the lidl in tallah diffin her round in circles but dont do that any more really.

report me there all you like im sure theyll have a nice bit of cheese for you, or maybe 40 pieces of silver.

catch me if you can, me name is dan, sure im your man.

Boasting about having less than 5 grand of car? Wow, the recession really is starting to bite.

No backbone... you don't even know me! It just really p!sses me off that people get so worked up about VRT, give it a rest for god sake, there's more important things to life than the fact that someone has a UK reg so get over it!

If you were in the UK would you call the cops every time you saw an Irish reg car?

You are the only one I can see here getting hot under the collar about this issue. As you did the last time it arose on here IIRC.

It may p!ss you off that some people are annoyed by tax dodgers. Get over it, tax dodgers will always annoy the general public, and there will always be people out there prepared to actually do something about it rather than bitching to their mates, it or posting on boards about it.

you're so cool ep1k-w1n!
    I wish I could be like you!

+1...what a muppet. I'd say you owe about €3 VRT on that heap

It's hillarious.... everyone moans about this yet if they were getting say their bathroom done and the builder said to them "It'll cost you 5k or lets say 3.5k cash" they'd never turn around and say "no no, I'm paying 5k because I want you to pay tax on it"

double standards, and it doesn't even affect them!

furtzy wrote: »
    +1...what a muppet. I'd say you owe about €3 VRT on that heap

Whoops make that €1

The enquiry is complete

The vehicle details for N863 XUK are:

Date of Liability 01 11 2008
    Date of First Registration 02 02 1996
    Year of Manufacture 1996
    Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1596CC
    CO2 Emissions Not Available
    Fuel Type Petrol
    Export Marker Not Applicable
    Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
    Vehicle Colour GREEN
    Vehicle Type Approval null
    The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.
    Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
    6 Months Rate £101.75
    12 Months Rate £185.00

It's hillarious.... everyone moans about this yet if they were getting say their bathroom done and the builder said to them "It'll cost you 5k or lets say 3.5k cash" they'd never turn around and say "no no, I'm paying 5k because I want you to pay tax on it"

double standards, and it doesn't even affect them!

Eh, Joe public has already paid tax on his cash, it's up to the builder to declare the tax not the guy getting the work done.

If the builder doesn't declare it then he runs the risk of an audit and fine, just like the non VRT'd car driver - What's your point exactly?

• Advertisement

Eh, Joe public has already paid tax on his cash, it's up to the builder to declare the tax not the guy getting the work done.

If the builder doesn't declare it then he runs the risk of an audit and fine, just like the non VRT'd car driver - What's your point exactly?
    that it's up to the driver to declare it, not the nosy neighbour!

Advertisement