Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RTE 1 Tonight - Customs and VRT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

ep1k-w1n wrote: »
    rabble rabble rabble

remiqnet4528st0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    How would you spot a customs vehicle then? They're unmaked bar 3 jeeps, unlike garda cars most have no extra aerials and no "covert" lights to spot

I presume they're quite noticeable with the "CUSTOMS SIGN" located on their checkpoints? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,964 ✭✭✭✭L1011

fúck em and their law*

*read illegal tax contrary to Art 81 of the european constitution, regarding the freedom of movement of goods and retraint of trade.

Frequently spouted, never proven. Go ahead, take the court case. People did in Denmark against their virtually identical laws...

...and lost. They're not illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

lordlame wrote: »
    I presume they're quite noticeable with the "CUSTOMS SIGN" located on their checkpoints? :rolleyes:

People are talking about spotting the individual cars not the check points, checkpoints can be seen a mile away. Its the cars on routine mobile patrol that youve got to watch for

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭IN-THE-KNOW

Dogs normally wear neoprene boots to protect car interiors, hes a passive drugs dog and shouldt scratch, just sit and stare.

Actually FYR.FYTR you're wrong!!! There are 2 types of dogs, Aggressive & Passive. The aggressive dog is the one that scratches and the passive dog is the one that sits and stare.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Anyone else noticing they had the Dog searching in brand new non registered Land Rovers. Probably just off the boat. They did have plastic seat covers on but the dog was scratching over the centre console plastic. I would be bullling
    if i bought that car..

Have to say the lad running into the Glass Automatic Doors in the airport trying to get away was class. Sore head!!:D

Scratches over the centre console plastic - AND WHAT!!! The dog is there to do a job, get over it. These things can be replaced if you have nothing else to worry about!!!:D

People are talking about spotting the individual cars not the check points, checkpoints can be seen a mile away. Its the cars on routine mobile patrol that youve got to watch for

Actually FYR.FYTR your wrong again! There are no specific signs to watch out for, what you need to watch out for is the person next to you on the road. A true private investigator or undercover garda wouldn't give the game away, now would they, think about it!!!:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Dave147 wrote: »
    Does it piss you off that VRT is illegal in the rest of europe? VRT is great isn't it.. What exactly are we paying for by the way? Corrupt ministers to be chauffered around for the year? It's a disgrace, I have an A4 since February and I still haven't cleared it. And of course I am well aware of every repercussion so no high horses please..

Yes, it does piss me off. But, as someone else pointed out - it's not illegal. Unjust, certainly, unfair - absolutely - but illegal, sorry, you need to go back to school on that one......the clue is in the name.......VRT........and as long as that's how it's worded, neither the EU, nor Ming, can do anything about it.

But if you don't want to play by the rules here, you shouldn't be allowed to cherry pick the ones you want. If you love fags and Polski Fiat's so much, well Gdansk is only a day-and-a-half away..........by car. So why not give that economy a whirl for a few years and let us know how you get on..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Actually FYR.FYTR your wrong again! There are no specific signs to watch out for, what you need to watch out for is the person next to you on the road. A true private investigator or undercover garda wouldn't give the game away, now would they, think about it!!!:D:D:D:D:D
    As i said there is no signs read my post again
    How would you spot a customs vehicle then? They're unmaked bar 3 jeeps, unlike garda cars most have no extra aerials and no "covert" lights to spot
    Actually FYR.FYTR you're wrong!!! There are 2 types of dogs, Aggressive & Passive. The aggressive dog is the one that scratches and the passive dog is the one that sits and stare.

Thats what i said, read my posts properly please

Dogs normally wear neoprene boots to protect car interiors, hes a passive drugs dog and shouldt scratch, just sit and stare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Dave147 wrote: »
    Does it piss you off that VRT is illegal in the rest of europe? VRT is great isn't it.. What exactly are we paying for by the way? Corrupt ministers to be chauffered around for the year? It's a disgrace, I have an A4 since February and I still haven't cleared it. And of course I am well aware of every repercussion so no high horses please..

Bit silly coming on here boasting about not paying your taxes while your bebo link shows the car reg and gives your name and address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

I got stopped in my driveway with Northern plates. The garda said he could not take the car as it was on private ground but gave me 3 months deadline to pay VRT and produce the documents to the station. This happened on New Years day and cost me 6 feckin grand. The thing was the house was also up for sale and I told him so was the car as I was moving back North. Made no difference. The other thing is Jim Rock the boxer is always driving about these roads with a personal English reg. He had it on a Ferrari and now an Audi A8 but nothing is ever said to him :mad:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    ..This happened on New Years day and cost me 6 feckin grand. The thing was the house was also up for sale and I told him so was the car as I was moving back North. Made no difference..

Eh? So you paid €6000 VRT and then left the country? :eek:

benifa wrote: »
    Eh? So you paid €6000 VRT and then left the country? :eek:

Still here. Try selling a house or a car these days :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Still here. Try selling a house or a car these days :mad:

Gutted. Sorry man. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

lordlame wrote: »
    I average about 500 miles a week and have not seen any of this - a radius from O'Connell Street to Blanchardstown, Dundrum, Swords etc.

I think they do more work down the sticks than up here.

I live in Clonee and work in Swords. I regulary see their check points in Hartstown,Clonsilla, Clonee and in Swords in the Baroimhe estate.

Usually early in the morning around 7.30am - 9.00 am during the week and at weekends it could be random times.

EDIT: They seem to target housing estates from what I seen.

They seem to do these checkpoints in waves of 2-3 months then nothing and then again 2-3 months later.Noticed a pattern over the last 2 years.

benifa wrote: »
    Gutted. Sorry man. :(

Ach sure we have tae battle on :cool:

MODEDIT
    sales ad removed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Ach sure we have tae battle on :cool:

<ad removed>
    What's that mondeo got to do with anything?

EDIT: oh right it's your car... I've seen it around Bray. nice motor!

and yea, I've seen Jim rock drive around on private uk plates for years on all his cars. I don't know why he gets away with it but I presume it's because he puts them through his garage as cars for sale and so doesn't have to pay VRT till their sold.

Presume its the car hes trying to flog. Whats the diesel st220 like to drive?

Class car. Only selling due to the family growing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ep1k-w1n

better thank fúckin mondeo i can tell ya that:pac::pac::pac:

yes VRT is illegal, i suggest you should go back to school(not you Fyr.Fytr) and brush up on your european constitution.
    anyone who says other wise is a mug.
    it is a tax that restricts he freedom of movement of goods around the EU, going against everything that the EU was set up to do, i.e. remove all barriers to trade within member states.

whilst iv no problems with people who coose to pay VRT, those that defend it are scum of the earth and those that grass others up for not paying it are nothing only low-life rats.
    in the words of Robert Mugabe: "They can go and hang"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

well i hope it give you a lovely warm feeling to be as low as to rat some one out for such a heinous offence, a a rat of the highest order.

i hope you never get reported for breaking an illegal law, by a jealous begudging busy-body with little else to do but try inform on people so they can feel big and self important.

yeah you guys are so right, what was i thinking not wanting to contribute to all these wonderful roads that havnt been paid for yet.
    ill send the cheque to the revenue tomorrow.
    actually on second thoughts im actually goin to take a picture of my car and send it to them with a note appended telling them how they have never caught me, and never will get a penny out of me to fund the corrupt inbred network of pieces of filth that pass for politicions(mostly)
    and i buy all my fags in a polski skelp.

what does a TD do actually?
    they only sense i ever hear talked id from the opposition.
    well worth each and every one of the 100,000 thousand euro they so richly deserve.

fúck em and their law*

*read illegal tax contrary to Art 81 of the european constitution, regarding the freedom of movement of goods and retraint of trade.
    whilst iv no problems with people who coose to pay VRT, those that defend it are scum of the earth and those that grass others up for not paying it are nothing only low-life rats.

Rat is such a lame cheap attempt at stigamatising anyone who does something u dont like.

thanks for your contribution to society, ur attitude in general stinks, if you dont know what ur tds do for you, do some research and find out. if you dont pay tax that everyone else is expected to tax, i'd be very happy when u get caught. Just because you dont agree with a law doesnt give you the right to flaunt it. elect someone else if you want it changed, or take it up with ur TD that you think does nothing.

zuroph wrote: »
    Rat is such a lame cheap attempt at stigamatising anyone who does something u dont like.

thanks for your contribution to society, ur attitude in general stinks, if you dont know what ur tds do for you, do some research and find out. if you dont pay tax that everyone else is expected to tax, i'd be very happy when u get caught. Just because you dont agree with a law doesnt give you the right to flaunt it. elect someone else if you want it changed, or take it up with ur TD that you think does nothing.

td lie and bullshít to get their way into office and very few do anything constructive there after. is there goin to be a re-run of the general election for Grealish? people voted him in under one party then like a rat he jumped ship and joined another party in effect leading to the destruction of the PDs, all the time claiming that it ws fueled by the media. it wont be long befre we have a two party system like yankeedoodleland.

a rat is a traitor, an informer or otherwise unscrupulous person who makes life hard on somene else and that acts out of jealousy or greed and that is it.

if i dont agree with a law i will not obey it like a good little sheep that others seem to be.
    by the way youll be a long time waiting to get happy cos im never goin to get caught ha ha ha.:pac::pac::pac:
    fúck the VRT and road tax and stealth tax...i mean toll.
    i wonder what ill buy with all the money i have saved from avoiding those "taxes"
    more smuggled fuel for my drift-mobile i think

better thank fúckin mondeo i can tell ya that:pac::pac::pac:

yes VRT is illegal, i suggest you should go back to school(not you Fyr.Fytr) and brush up on your european constitution.

it is a tax that restricts he freedom of movement of goods around the EU, going against everything that the EU was set up to do, i.e. remove all barriers to trade within member states.

Except its not. Denmark has an identical tax which has been upheld as legal. Nothing is preventing you from bringing a car from another EU country in to Ireland, you do however have to pay tax to register it. Entirely legal.

Anyone who can't spell or punctuate is, however, "a mug".

• Registered Users Posts: 65,449 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I got stopped in my driveway with Northern plates. The garda said he could not take the car as it was on private ground

A Garda can't but customs & excise can take it from private ground. Just don't buy foreign cars if you can't afford the VRT, folks...

MYOB wrote: »
    Except its not. Denmark has an identical tax which has been upheld as legal. Nothing is preventing you from bringing a car from another EU country in to Ireland, you do however have to pay tax to register it. Entirely legal.

Anyone who can't spell or punctuate is, however, "a mug".

well as im dyslexic im doin very well to own a computer thank you very much.
    that danish test case failed on one ground which is not applicable here, cant rem off the top of my head but ill dig it up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

For a start there's no European Constitution, what you're think of is the Treaty Establishing the European Community. Secondly, there are numerous grounds for exemptions to Article 81. In this case, the environmental aspect of VRT makes it highly unlikely to fall.

By all means challenge it, take a case to the European Courts. Off you go to ECJ, become a hero son. Be the man that cut down VRT. They'll have an open top bus for you and a ticker tape parade down O'Connell St.

Or alternately, you can continue to exhibit the awesome skill involved in making a rear wheel drive car go sideways in a shopping centre car park. This is something Gronholm, Schumacher and Senna could never achieve in their careers.

unkel wrote: »
    A Garda can't but customs & excise can take it from private ground. Just don't buy foreign cars if you can't afford the VRT, folks...

thats right, customs can also knock your house without a warrant also.

well as im dyslexic im doin very well to own a computer thank you very much.
    that danish test case failed on one ground which is not applicable here, cant rem off the top of my head but ill dig it up.

I'm dyspraxic. Spellchecker - its common courtesy for others. However, as a tax dodger, its clear you don't have common courtesy at all.

A European case failing on any grounds means it applies across Europe. And as another poster has said, this "EU constituon" you mention doesn't exist.

Robbo wrote: »
    For a start there's no European Constitution, what you're think of is the Treaty Establishing the European Community. Secondly, there are numerous grounds for exemptions to Article 81. In this case, the environmental aspect of VRT makes it highly unlikely to fall.

By all means challenge it, take a case to the European Courts. Off you go to ECJ, become a hero son. Be the man that cut down VRT. They'll have an open top bus for you and a ticker tape parade down O'Connell St.

Or alternately, you can continue to exhibit the awesome skill involved in making a rear wheel drive car go sideways in a shopping centre car park. This is something Gronholm, Schumacher and Senna could never achieve in their careers.

oh i havnt graduated to actuall driftin yet, i can only make her go round in circles.
    MYOB wrote: »
    I'm dyspraxic. Spellchecker - its common courtesy for others. However, as a tax dodger, its clear you don't have common courtesy at all.

A European case failing on any grounds means it applies across Europe. And as another poster has said, this "EU constituon" you mention doesn't exist.

yeah its also common curtesy to leave your horse outside when you enter an internet chatroom.
    its ok i wouldnt say it will get clamped on ya, although youd probably say "well i shouldnt have parked it there" and pay the fine.

i have 17.5s on my yoke so i can park anywhere i like that dont tow away.
    i just love doin what ever i like.

i dont hav time for a spell checker, im a very busy man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

id love to see a 316i doing donuts :D

and what are 17.5s :confused:

Advertisement