Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Drainage Problem

Options
  • 14-09-2008 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Since moving into our house (standard housing estate) we've had a patch of the garden that always goes boggy and fails to drain properly.

I had it rotavated and reseeded last week and now that its pouring rain again, Im noticing a big puddle right where the boggy patch used to be.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to sort this out before the grass seed germinates and my new lawn is ruined?

Thanks!

Garden1.jpg

Garden2.jpg

This is how the area that is properly draining looks

Garden3.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I hate to say it but you cant solve this without digging up the damp area again...
    Ideally some sort of draininge needs to be incorporated before the lawn is sowed... if you cant drain to a ditch or drain then a sump of stone can be made to improve the overall drainiage...

Cheers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

bbam wrote: »
    I hate to say it but you cant solve this without digging up the damp area again...
    Ideally some sort of draininge needs to be incorporated before the lawn is sowed... if you cant drain to a ditch or drain then a sump of stone can be made to improve the overall drainiage...

Cheers..

No way.. I'll live with a puddle before that garden is being re-dug! :(

Thanks for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I understand your sentaments...
    IS there a slight dish in the ground where the puddle is??
    Looking along the block line behind it seems to dip down at that point..

If there is you could re-level the area with a rake and see if it helps... of course it would help if the bloody rain would stop or ease off a little..

OR
    You could make the best of what you have and plant a bog garden bed... lots of interesting plants with both flower, foliage and architectural merrits are widely available... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Concrete Slabs! Theres the answer :)

The garden actually dips gradually into that point, combined with the drainage not being spectacular anyway.

We'll see what happens.

It was seeded on Saturday.. any idea how long before I'll have a lawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Anything from 2-3 weeks to a couple of months. Depends if the temp stays above 5c for as long as possible. I'd stay off it till the new year if at all possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement