Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged Phone Line - who's responsible

Options
  • 14-09-2008 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

My home phone is knackered. I have my account with BT (but I believe Eircom are still responsible for the line). Eircom came out and diagnosed a damaged cable. Normally they would run in a new cable through the existing conduit, but the conduit is ‘kinked’. I’ve run a wire through it myself, and the kink is just outside my front door (cannot get past the restriction even with a small diameter wire).
    The Eircom guy says it’s my responsibility to dig up and expose the conduit (as it’s within my property boundary). This makes sense to me. But somebody in work has told me that the telecom provider is responsible for getting the cable into my house, and he’s therefore responsible (as the gas board are similarly responsible for getting the gas to the meter box).

I ran Comreg and they weren’t able to clarify who is responsible for rectifying the damaged conduit. Anyone out there come across a similar situation ?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

as far as i know there responsible from the road to the master point, which is usually in the hall on in newr houses to the white junction box on the exterior wall, which is usually where the ntl comes in aswell. ive come across numerous instances where this has happened and each engineer had a differant response. in most cases they eventually took responsability to the master point which has the detachable front plate. the master plate allows them to find out weather the fault is exterior or one of the extensions inside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

In rural areas both Eircom & the ESB connect from the nearest pole to the meter box and connect same.

However, both insist that YOU provide a duct from your site boundary to the meter box. This duct must be clear of all obstruction and have a guide / pull wire or rope in the duct, to pull their cable thru.

If there is a problem with the duct or the pull rope - thens its YOUR problem ( They get in the van and move to the next job)

If you caused the obstruction in the duct then it may well be your responsibility to correct it. Can you afford to wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭richie_os

hmmm

Advertisement