Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yellow Box?

Options
  • 14-09-2008 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I was just wondering when is it ok to enter a yellow box?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Oshare Bones

When you say enter, do you mean stop in the yellow box?

1 of the times is when turning right anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

yeah turning right is ok

did you not get a copy of the rules of the road in your letterbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You may only enter a yellow box when you are able to clear it without stopping. The exception to this is when turning right, when you are allowed to stop in it while waiting for a break in the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

If I'm turning right into a yellow box. That is only on the right side of the road where the flow of traffic is controlled by traffic lights. The light is red when I turned into it. Is that ok?

ec18 wrote: »
    If I'm turning right into a yellow box. That is only on the right side of the road where the flow of traffic is controlled by traffic lights. The light is red when I turned into it. Is that ok?

not really sure what you mean but it sounds like your breaking a red light?

if the filter light is green you move up into the box to take the right turn

• Advertisement

There was a set of lights then enough room for 2 or 3 cars before the yellow box started. The yellow box is only on the right side of the road. Is it ok to pull out and occupy the yellow box if the lights are red and there is traffic on both sides of the yellow box. The car in the yellow box is occupying both lanes of the road.

There was a set of lights then enough room for 2 or 3 cars before the yellow box started. The yellow box is only on the right side of the road. Is it ok to pull out and occupy the yellow box if the lights are red and there is traffic on both sides of the yellow box. The car in the yellow box is occupying both lanes of the road.

why would you be doing it if the light is red?

if there's one car out there then you should be behind the white line at the lights so if the light goes red you stay put

you should only pull out if your the first car IIRC which prevents what happend to you

if i understand you correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You may only enter a yellow box when you are able to clear it without stopping. The exception to this is when turning right, when you are allowed to stop in it while waiting for a break in the traffic.
    ............and only if your exit road is clear! ;)
    Any chance of a diagram? It's difficult to grasp the situation you refer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

u may follow the direction of my badly drawn arrow and stop in the yellow box if you are not obstructing the flow of traffic in the opposite lane of the main road. the rules of traffic lights stil apply, regardless of traffic on the other road.

zuroph wrote: »
    u may follow the direction of my badly drawn arrow and stop in the yellow box if you are not obstructing the flow of traffic in the opposite lane of the main road. the rules of traffic lights stil apply, regardless of traffic on the other road.

That is pretty much the situation I was talking about. So if the flow of traffic is stopped then it's ok to occupy a yellow box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Yeah it is, thats why the yellow box is there basically. You could get marked for progress turning right if you don't move into it. The traffic behind you may want to turn left and you'll be holding them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

That is pretty much the situation I was talking about. So if the flow of traffic is stopped then it's ok to occupy a yellow box?
    yes, the box is there to allow you out onto the main road, and you may stop in that yellow box as long as the back of your car is not blocking the traffic going in the opposite direction.

(also, if a car on the main road travelling straight ahead drives into the yellow box and stops, which blocks you from exiting your road into it, you are allowed exit your car, and smash his side window in, to emphasise your anger. :pac:)

yes, the box is there to allow you out onto the main road, and you may stop in that yellow box as long as the back of your car is not blocking the traffic going in the opposite direction.

Great Thanks!
    (also, if a car on the main road travelling straight ahead drives into the yellow box and stops, which blocks you from exiting your road into it, you are allowed exit your car, and smash his side window in, to emphasise your anger. :pac:)

Cool Didn't know that ;):P

Advertisement