Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL BT Broadband connection problem

Options
  • 14-09-2008 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

I am having a strange problem. I have a zyxel broadband modem that I got from bt when i got broadband in. I have noticed that every hour or so, my internet connection fails. However, if, lets say, Im downloading something in Azureus, the download continues at a normal rate, but I cannot load any webpages.

I have also just noticed something weird just recently. I sometimes go onto www.speedtest.net to check my connection speed as bt have change it now and again. All along it would give me my ip address and tell me my location (Dublin). However, now it is giving me my location as Limerick.

How can this be? Has anyone else experienced similar problems and if so, is there anything i can do to fix this?

Thanks,

Dan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

If your connection keeps dropping out, give BT a call on 1904. That's a toll free number.

It may also be worthwhile taking a look at this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055368054

There are ongoing issues with ADSL broadband at the moment, throughout Ireland.

The reason why websites might not be loading, but downloads in your BitTorrent client as resuming as normal, is probably because of a DNS related issue (DNS servers resolve domain names to their IP address, and if they are malfunctioning, well you know...)

Don't mind any of that Limerick/Galway/Dublin stuff on Speedtest.net. All they do is resolve your IP address, and you could get any address up connecting from BT's DHCP server. Some IP's may resolve to Limerick as the location, some may resolve to Dublin. It doesn't matter, as I'm sure all the IP's come from the same pool. Nothing to worry over. :)

Advertisement