Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

some questions!

Options
  • 14-09-2008 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

ok test tomorrow, have some questions that i need to know.

1. can you go from 4th down to 2nd in one go during the test?

2. observation - do you only check your blind spot when pulling out from the side of a road or would you use it for sharp left turns or roundabouts for example?

3. parking - how strict are they for this? it wouldnt be my strongest point. is it ok to get in a space, and then reverse out to even yourself up?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

1. Yes you may block change.
    2. There is no need to check your blind spot when turning left, or at roundabouts as you will see any obstacles as you approach, and it would take your attention off the road for too long.
    3. I would recommend reversing into your space when you arrive at the test centre so, when the test begins all you have to do is drive straight out. And when you return to the test centre just park nose first. So long as you park competently, you should be fine, ie in between the lines, straight, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

WOGGET wrote: »
    observation - do you only check your blind spot when pulling out from the side of a road or would you use it for sharp left turns or roundabouts for example?

No not only when taking off, you should do it when changing lanes/overtaking and when doing the reverse around the corner.
    WOGGET wrote: »
    parking - how strict are they for this? it wouldnt be my strongest point. is it ok to get in a space, and then reverse out to even yourself up?

I think the most you'll get is a grade 1 unless you're ridiculously off the mark, mount the curb or of course hit something. So just be careful and take your time. What id do is drive up to the back of the car in the spot on the far side of the one you're going for, reverse back and line yourself up with the empty spot. Its pretty much a straight drive in then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 WOGGET

cheers alanstrainor! :)

one other thing, how often should you be looking in the mirrors while on a straight part of road? every 10 seconds? its observation that im most nervous about!

Well as far as observation goes, remember: Mirror, signal, Mirror, Manoeuvre. And check your centre mirror every 10ish seconds, it's not really something you need to count or time yourself, but just check it regularly and when slowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

When you return to the test centre the examiner will usually request that you park where it is convienient and safe. They are not that fussy about the way you park but if they feel that it is unsafe/inconvienient they may ask if you are satisfied with they way your vehicle is parked. If they ask, you can rest assured that the examiner is not satisfied and you should rectify the situation immediately.

(Some test centres have lots of 'private' parking where there is usually no danger but others utilise public areas.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 WOGGET

cheers for the replies everyone.

so there's no need to check my blind spot on a roundabout?

i know when you check your left mirror you automatically check your blind spot with your peripheral vision, but do i need to check my right blind spot aswell when entering & exiting the roundabout?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Do you have to check your blind spot every time you move the car from it being stopped? Like starting off from traffic lights?

Caderyn wrote: »
    Do you have to check your blind spot every time you move the car from it being stopped? Like starting off from traffic lights?

No. You would only check a blind spot when pulling out from a curb or when changing lanes etc, as cars/cyclists/pedestrians may be in this blind spot which you could miss when pulling out/changing lanes. You would also check a blindspot during the reverse around a corner manoeuvre just before turning the wheel as the front of the car will swing out.

Advertisement