Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My cycling weekend in Dublin

Options
  • 14-09-2008 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Had to attend a meeting in Dublin yesterday and was planning to go to Croker today so decided to bring the bike with me and stay over so I could get in some cycling around and beyond the city ( I 'm from the Mid-West). Having lived and worked in Dublin in the early 90's I was interested in seeing how things have changed fromn a cycling point of view and I was really pleasently surprised: Yesterday morning before the meeting I cycled from Dromcondra to Howth which I really enjoyed - I found the cycle paths quite good and was amazed at the number of people cycling - way way more than I remember from my previous incarnation. I stayed last night in the Loius Fitzgerald hotel at Newlands Cross - so went for a cycle from there yesterday evening - along the Belagard Rd - to Templeogue Bridge and Rathfarnahm and up to Glencree. Found the climb tough - first time to do it - how do people here rate it? (went by the entrance to Hell Fire Wood). Once again was very impressed with the cycle paths from Tallaght to Rathfarnahm - yes there were the odd few cars parked on the lanes but overall it is such an improvement from a few years ago.
    This morning I cycled in to town and did the Dublin City Cycle and while it was lovely to see so many kids I really found it a bit of a non event. I hope I'm not being unfair here but it has the feeling of something that has been cut to the absolute minimum. On a lighter note - the cruelest part of the event was seeing all the lovely food on the foothpath in Merrion square on our return - only to find out it was for bloody Trinny and Susannah!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

michaelm wrote: »
    I 'm from the Mid-West

wisconsin? illinois?

yeah, what with all the moaning, groaning and bitching that is endemic to d'oul interwebs it's easy to loose sight of the fact that cyclists numbers are increasing. it is, for the most part, getting safer and easier in the suburbs and city centre and, while a lot of cycle paths are rubbish, most aren't.

before i started going out for longer spins i genuinely had no idea how blessed we are to have the wickla mountains right there. from the city centre it's completely possible to be up there away from it all and in a couple of hours be in a totally different habitat. it's a luxury really, and i'm glad very few people use it. they'd only louse it up for us :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

niceonetom wrote: »
    wisconsin? illinois?

North Tipp I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I feel much safer cycling around Dublin , than on country roads where I now live.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I feel much safer cycling around Dublin , than on country roads where I now live.
    Agreed. I've been on the roads in the midlands a bit recently, much prefer the city - people are used to cyclists there.

The road I dislike the most is Ballymahon to Athlone, was on it back in 2006, narrow very busy road, constant traffic - nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Trojan wrote: »

The road I dislike the most is Ballymahon to Athlone, was on it back in 2006, narrow very busy road, constant traffic - nasty.

I have to cycle that road everytime i go out on the bike and i hate it as well.
    Lots of angry drivers and dangerous drivers. It has one nice climb but thats all it has going for it

• Advertisement
Advertisement