Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping over brakes

Options
  • 14-09-2008 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I was thinking of swapping over my brakes so that the right lever does the front brake. For the advantages better grip and control - as I'm right handed.

Is there much work involving in doing this? Would the handle bar tape need to be replaced or could I use the original? I was thinking of using this tape.

Cheers,
    72oo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

You did not say if your current setup is shimano or champagnolo.
    If it is shimano then the cables do not run under the bar tape so the tape does not need to be touched.
    If it is campagnolo the cables are under the tape and it will need to be removed.
    Replacing tape is always easier than trying to reuse current tap as you will see the the dirt line on the tape, also some tape tear when removing so you will have choice.
    Everyone has their own opinion on what tape to use and why. Personally I am using Brontager grippy tape, great in the wet. http://bontrager.com/products/accessories/handlebar_accessories/en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Its shimano, with Sora shifters.

I've had a look just now to recheck and the brake lines for whatever reason do run under the tape. I like the look of that tape - very similar to what I have at the moment on the bike (Trek 1.5 - 2008).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Freddy687 wrote: »
    You did not say if your current setup is shimano or champagnolo.
    If it is shimano then the cables do not run under the bar tape so the tape does not need to be touched.
    If it is campagnolo the cables are under the tape and it will need to be removed.
    Replacing tape is always easier than trying to reuse current tap as you will see the the dirt line on the tape, also some tape tear when removing so you will have choice.
    Everyone has their own opinion on what tape to use and why. Personally I am using Brontager grippy tape, great in the wet. http://bontrager.com/products/accessories/handlebar_accessories/en

The cable does run under the tape for Shimano brakes - for the gear cables it doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

As far as I remember, it's the gear cable on shimano that's outside, break on the inside.
    Easy enough job, although you will be putting on new tape. You might as well, it's cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

My mistake.
    It is the brakes under the tape and the gears on the outside.

• Advertisement
Advertisement