Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bentone Burner?

• 14-09-2008 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭

hi.. just wondering if anyone can help me..

The burner wont fire up first time from the clokc, however when you press restart on control box.. it starts each time? anyone any ideas?

Thanks!
    nlc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

hi.. just wondering if anyone can help me..

The burner wont fire up first time from the clokc, however when you press restart on control box.. it starts each time? anyone any ideas?

Thanks!
    nlc

I'm afraid if it is a B9 about 15 years old - it's what they do.

The motor is weak, the gears in the oil pump are worn and they stick every so often.

Also there can be other reasons - hard to tell without seeing the burner.
    Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Sometimes can be a sign that the nozzle needs changing. Has it been serviced recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

Thanks for the replies guys, its only a few years old Model is Sterling 40.(year of manufacture 2001) Was serviced within last 18 months. Regular boiler guy had health problems, and (much) younger guy serviced it. Just looking at it, the burner feels as if its being held on by top screw only (doubt if this would impact on the performance ...or would it?). Doesn’t feel v. secure at all.

Previous bentone gave about 15 years trouble free!

Presume that 18 months is sufficiently long for a nozzle to require changing. Do you reckon this is the most likely cause. Will be tightening up all screws holding burner to boiler asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

That screw is the proper method of attachment - only one needed - it should be tight though. Your cutting out problem could be for lots of reasons. It depends on the burner adjustment. If it is burning badly, the photocell could be dirty. If the oil pressure is low, that could cause cutting out when starting from cold - lots of things a good service engineer will spot straight away.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cushe

i have same problem with this model burner but only ten years old all new parts fitted and after reseting the button on controller about 3 to 4 times boiler starts and runs all night any ideas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭whizbang

How high is the oil level above the burner. ?

tank is about two feet above burner,i was thinking capicatior problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

If you push the reset and the burner runs then forget the capacitor, intermitent faults are hard to pinpoint, i'd check electrodes and nozzle, when was it last serviced ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

cushe wrote: »
    i have same problem with this model burner but only ten years old all new parts fitted and after reseting the button on controller about 3 to 4 times boiler starts and runs all night any ideas

when you say all new parts fitted what exactly was fitted

when you press the reset button does the motor just make a low humming noise or does it get up to full revs and fail to start

nozzle was changed as was the electrodes and photo cell,capicator changed and oil pump striped down and rebuilt,flue and chamber cleaned and oil pressure checked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

The Transformers on them are very tempomental, you really need an Oftec man out to do the tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

cushe wrote: »
    nozzle was changed as was the electrodes and photo cell,capicator changed and oil pump striped down and rebuilt,flue and chamber cleaned and oil pressure checked

do you mind me asking what this cost you with the exception of a few parts your not far from a new burner 10 years old and all that

as billy pointed out you really need somebody oftec reg to set this up for you just setting pump pressure is not enough im afraid

fga needed also

this may be something as simple as electrodes set wrong

Advertisement