Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

air con blowing cold air while on hot?

Options
  • 14-09-2008 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

hi lads
    drive 03 a4 tdi 100k. just this week when i turned tried to turn air con on hi, cold air blew out,i thought it would warm up, but it never did.
    basically it just blows cold air whether its on low or hi now.
    am trading or selling private very shortly.
    any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nite11owl

not sure if im being stupid here but i thought air con was only supposed to blow cold. for use on those hot days... not that we get many here:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

could be an electrical problem, or else a mechanical proble with the car's engine cooling system. best to bring it to a garage ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

colm_mcm wrote: »
    could be an electrical problem, or else a mechanical proble with the car's engine cooling system. best to bring it to a garage ASAP.

your not serious:( cars running fine,thought it might be thermostat or sumthing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Does it blow out hot air when the air con is off?

I assume that you're setting the temp control to "Hot".

Avns1s wrote: »
    no it did before last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It very well may be a cabin thermostat or the dash control unit itself. but don't rule out the cooling system, and don't drive the car before you esablish that it's not the cooling system.

there are a few online guides on this subject

Could be thermostat stuck open... a problem would show up as the temp guage not reaching the "normal" operating temp section.

Is there a chance that the heating control is broken. Not familiar with the Audi but I have seen other cars with a broken linkage between the knob or lever and the heater unit behind the dash.

Also, have you checked your coolant level recently?

I assume that you're setting the temp control to "Hot".
    yeah

Could be thermostat stuck open... a problem would show up as the temp guage not reaching the "normal" operating temp section.

Is there a chance that the heating control is broken. Not familiar with the Audi but I have seen other cars with a broken linkage between the knob or lever and the heater unit behind the dash.

Also, have you checked your coolant level recently?

coolant is bang on. well on the audi u can set the heats both sides differently , no heat on either side

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It very well may be a cabin thermostat or the dash control unit itself. but don't rule out the cooling system, and don't drive the car before you esablish that it's not the cooling system.

there are a few online guides on this subject

been driving it like that over a week. il check online ,cheers.as im more than likely trading in, i dnt want to spend much more on it

• Advertisement

My guess is the sensors (as colm mentioned above) or some other part of the electronics controlling the heater.

My guess is the sensors (as colm mentioned above) or some other part of the electronics controlling the heater.

ok cheers thanks,would my mechanic be able to sort it, hes use to audis,passats,or would it have 2 go on computer:(

That's a question probably best posed to the mechanic. Sorry.

That's a question probably best posed to the mechanic. Sorry.

no bother cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

It sounds like it's either the temp control on the dash or a sensor that detects the cabin temperature. Is the control a set of buttons or a dial? If buttons then I would wager that it is a cabin temperature sensor.

To poster think air con is only for hot days, I find it brilliant for drying out the air on really wet days. When every one else is driving around with seriously misty windows or clear windows but roasting inside the car the air con ensures clear windows.

It sounds like it's either the temp control on the dash or a sensor that detects the cabin temperature. Is the control a set of buttons or a dial? If buttons then I would wager that it is a cabin temperature sensor.
    yeah its buttons

To poster think air con is only for hot days, I find it brilliant for drying out the air on really wet days. When every one else is driving around with seriously misty windows or clear windows but roasting inside the car the air con ensures clear windows.

for sure

sorry just have more info, its a dual air con, passenger side is heating, driver side is not.
    mechanic was busy ,he said it should be fine, he mite need to pull unit out and make sure button on driver side is making contact.

Advertisement