Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware the roundabout!

• 14-09-2008 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Just a warning to anybody that regularly uses the roundabout at B and Q and Harvey Normans. Twice I've seen people go round it the wrong way, presumably because people think it isnt a roundabout because its so big! I've also seen somebody come out of B and Q and drive down the wrong side of the dual carriageway! Its easy to the make the mistake but people should be on the lookout.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This must be catching, this afternoon a car came from Tramore to the roundabout at Riverstown and did a U-turn back in to Tramore!!
    Also tonight on the new roundabout at the Redbridge before Roadstone somebody just went the wrong way round. Blank look on the guys face as I put on the flashersstopped and looked at him in disbelief.
    Maybe it me, maybe I'm going the wrong way round, has the law been changed and nobody told me??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

For anyone that does eithjer of these things then they should be taken off the road, perhaps I can understand why they "might" think it but if they are not paying attention to there surroundings then they shoudn't be driving anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Another one to be careful at is the mini-roundabout at the junction of the Dunmore Road and Passage Road, beware of old dear in ford fiesta coming into town who likes to come through the roundabout on the right hand side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭JMcL

There's a lot of that goes on all right. Last year sometime we were waiting at the roundabout on the Tramore road beside Superquinn. I'm pretty sure it was evening rush hour on a Friday. Next thing, this little old couple came dawdling around the roundabout going the wrong way, and looking not so much scared as bewildered. Fortunately traffic was jammed solid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Seen it plenty of times, including people not being able to use lanes and cutting in front of you. Happens mainly to elderly people (that I have noticed) and spotted it a few times on the ORR roundabouts.

I know tourists find the concept confusing as I hear americans complain about them all the time!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully wrote: »
    Seen it plenty of times, including people not being able to use lanes and cutting in front of you. Happens mainly to elderly people (that I have noticed) and spotted it a few times on the ORR roundabouts.

I know tourists find the concept confusing as I hear americans complain about them all the time!

Americans get confused by roundabouts because they don't tend to have them in America...I guess because there just not able to use them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

The yanks have roundabouts alright. They call them "Rotaries". Got directions over there in work a couple of years ago, was told to go past the rotary to get to a destination, I must have driven 10 miles past my destination looking for a place called the rotary !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

My brother was driving some American cousin. And he went flying into a round about as you do. The American's were scared out of their skin, as they never had seen one before and did not know what was going on. They thought my brother was just a crazy driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

funny you should bring this up.. i have witnesses someone floating around a roundabout the wrong way recently and also a mate of mine said he saw the same in the last week, then about 3 weeks ago myself and Robtri.. were up on the roundabout from keans rd, to cleaboy road and someone did a uturn on the entrance to the roundabout stopping all traffic on it while she did her 14 point turn completely oblivious to the carnage haha.. what gameshow did these people win their licenses on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

forbesii wrote: »
    I've also seen somebody come out of B and Q and drive down the wrong side of the dual carriageway! Its easy to the make the mistake but people should be on the lookout.

To be honest with you, people that stupid should be locked so they don't do themselves harm.

I understand what you're saying (and I appreciate the warning - these idiots are out there), but coming out of B&Q, the left-hand lane swings around to the left, forcing you to turn left. Anyone who tries to turn right (and head the wrong way down the dualler) has to make a bit of a shimmy to do so, so they're ignoring the road layout which is their for their safety.

Same with the roundabouts, there's a big roundabout sign, and the road veers left so as to show you where to go. If you decide to shimmy to the right then you're a hazard to yourself and others and should be put off the road.

• Advertisement

what also pisses me off is the amount of complete muppets who use either the Tesco or Ardkeen roundabouts and use the left hand lane which is marked as LEFT ONLY to go straight on instead of using the marked right hand lane for doing this.

I'm on about the Tesco roundabout as you come from the outer ring road and the ardkeen one as you go from Dunmore.

I've had muppets pull this crap when I've been driving and cycling and its incredibly dangerous and again its not like its not sign posted like mad

Cabaal wrote: »
    what also pisses me off is the amount of complete muppets who use either the Tesco or Ardkeen roundabouts and use the left hand lane which is marked as LEFT ONLY to go straight on instead of using the marked right hand lane for doing this.

I'm on about the Tesco roundabout as you come from the outer ring road and the ardkeen one as you go from Dunmore.

I've had muppets pull this crap when I've been driving and cycling and its incredibly dangerous and again its not like its not sign posted like mad

yes i agree this p1sses me off bigtime.. specially since i actually got done in court because a COP did this on a roundabout and nearly caused an accident.. he tryed blaming me saying i was in the wrong lane...??? hahahaha i told him i was in the right lane to go straight through the roundabout, and he was in the left lane that was for TURNING LEFT ONLY, and he decided to go straight through nearly cutting me off, he was unmarked and before i knew it he had the lights on and the siren blaring.. (this is the roundabout on the cork road at tile master.. i was heading from superquinn up towards the city vets area) so this being a country thats really fair, I was the one who got done, brought to court and charged with driving without due care and attention, and he got off scott free.. Gotta love it dont ya!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Driving manners on roundabouts is my pet peeve.....
    People being in wrong lanes cutting accross you or under cutting... drives me F-ing mad....
    also when you are waiting to get on to a roundabout, people on the roundabout going past the 12 o clock mark and not indicating right........
    how do these people get their licence .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

had a women yestrerday start indicating left as she was coming up to the roundabout, then she proceeded to go straight to 2nd exit while indicating all this time, its amazing these people know how to dress themselfs in the mornings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The big new roundabout near Texaco on the N24 is a two lane roundabout. But as roads are still being built, it has cones along the middle of the inner lane, closing that lane, making it a one lane roundabout. I was driving along the open lane and some idiot passed me along the half width inner lane!

As the above few posts point out, proper indication on roundabouts is a rare sight.

i was only telling Robtri today.. thid morning on the SAME roundabout we saw someone doing a u-turn on.. this morning i saw a lerner car (the ones with the dunce cap on them) well the driver drove right over the roundabout hahaha the instructor was going mental!! the driver was cacking himself haha it was so funny when i saw it, the first thing i thought of was this thread haha

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

How can you drive over a bloody roundabout? Learner or not that's pretty damn obvious!! Amazes me what some drivers can do!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 DAN_H

How can you drive over a bloody roundabout? Learner or not that's pretty damn obvious!! Amazes me what some drivers can do!

haha. sully you can hardly be giving out about bad drivers, we have all seen you park your car whereever you want around tramore and in the wit. get over yourself, your not mr.perfect either

DAN_H wrote: »
    haha. sully you can hardly be giving out about bad drivers, we have all seen you park your car whereever you want around tramore and in the wit. get over yourself, your not mr.perfect either

Different topic entirely but thanks :D

• Advertisement

posting in a three month old thread just to slate a mod....nice move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

not the brightest move I have seen on boards, but damn close..

posting in a three month old thread just to slate a mod....nice move

Gone but not forgotten :) No loss anyway, never had much to contribute since joining. My parking has nawt to do with this issue about peoples lack of understanding of roundabouts. Sure, my parking isn't the best (weakest part of my driving skills, but thankfully I did well in my driving test and got it first time both practical and theory!) but for example...

How hard is it to read a flashing sign saying lanes changed, a medium sized sign on the side of the road and big white letters on the road indicating lanes changed? Its crazy the amount of people ignore the new roundabout lanes on the Ballindud Roundabout (Tramore side) resulting in two cars coming very close to hitting each other as they go straight on together. That's ignoring the general principal of how to use a roundabout (use of lanes, indicating etc).

Poor parking is one thing, and im not saying im perfect, but other crazy driving really makes the mind wonder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DANDANDAN

Gone but not forgotten :) No loss anyway, never had much to contribute since joining. My parking has nawt to do with this issue about peoples lack of understanding of roundabouts. Sure, my parking isn't the best (weakest part of my driving skills, but thankfully I did well in my driving test and got it first time both practical and theory!) but for example...

How hard is it to read a flashing sign saying lanes changed, a medium sized sign on the side of the road and big white letters on the road indicating lanes changed? Its crazy the amount of people ignore the new roundabout lanes on the Ballindud Roundabout (Tramore side) resulting in two cars coming very close to hitting each other as they go straight on together. That's ignoring the general principal of how to use a roundabout (use of lanes, indicating etc).

Poor parking is one thing, and im not saying im perfect, but other crazy driving really makes the mind wonder!

your talking crap sully, how hard is it to read road markings? like double yellow lines and clearways and handicapp spaces, get over yourself, start fixing your own driving before giving out to other people...

DANDANDAN wrote: »
    your talking crap sully, how hard is it to read road markings? like double yellow lines and clearways and handicapp spaces, get over yourself, start fixing your own driving before giving out to other people...

Hey, I was the honest one and admitted I aint great at parking. Now your talking bull**** because I have never parked in a clearway or handicapped space. Ever. Nor will I ever. Now go away, get a life and stop re-reging to get around a ban. You are not welcome here.

Hey, I was the honest one and admitted I aint great at parking. Now your talking bull**** because I have never parked in a clearway or handicapped space. Ever. Nor will I ever. Now go away, get a life and stop re-reging to get around a ban. You are not welcome here.

isn't a re-reg to get around a ban a site banable offense according to boards.ie rules? ;)

isn't a re-reg to get around a ban a site banable offense according to boards.ie rules? ;)

Already sitebanned. 3 accounts gone so far. :) Tis funny, brought a smile to my face! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Tell ya'll, one thing I can never get about this board is how serious and wound up people get over nothing.One of the things I have observed recently is the constant abuse or people taking any chance possible to undermine a certain mod here.In fairness I have been warned about ****e and I acknowledge that I was in the wrong in those situations(or drunk) , but I'd never take it as personally as some people do.Think people need to take a step back and remember that these forums are for people to share their opinions in a fairly civil manner, to be informative and to have a bit of fun.After all it's not as if its the be all and end all and if you take it too seriously or personally you need to get off your arse and do something else than trowl through forums trying to either abuse or start fights with people(unless its funny).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

forbesii wrote: »
    Its easy to the make the mistake but people should be on the lookout.

How is that an easy mistake to make? You want to be seriously demented to make either of those errors.

• Advertisement

Meatwad wrote: »
    Tell ya'll, one thing I can never get about this board is how serious and wound up people get over nothing.One of the things I have observed recently is the constant abuse or people taking any chance possible to undermine a certain mod here.In fairness I have been warned about ****e and I acknowledge that I was in the wrong in those situations(or drunk) ...............

Never a truer word typed :)
    We've all acted the maggot on boards at one stage or another (hell I got myself banned from After Hours for ages), sure it sucks to be pulled up over it but its the internet so its not the end of the world and shouldn't be taken so seriously.

Advertisement