Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Front Caliper BMW E36 cost

Options
  • 14-09-2008 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

i got my front brake pads and disks done the weekend and the guy said that i will need to get the caliper replaced ( not sure if it is right one or left or both) anyway he hasnt given me a price yet and said i could get them second hand. i spotted a 2nd hand pair on e bay for £35 but thats from a 96 with 80k on it. what i wanted to know was how much are calipers if you buy new plus what would labour be to fit them?? also is it silly buying 2nd hand ones as these could fail soon ( i've over 100k on my car v 80k with ones i saw??)

any opinions much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Hi you are looking at the best part of €300 per side. You should also consider a re-manufactured part from the likes of Euro Car Parts or other similar supplier. I would consider the 2nd hand parts if the callipers were literally just off the car. If they have been lying around then I would have 2nd thoughts.
    Try Bavaria Auto Technik in Abbeyfeale, Limerick google for contact details.
    AC Car Sales in Dublin might be able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

cheers for that. that's a fair bit of cash the price u mention 300 per side is that for a new part +labour?

That's just the part. Labour should only be an hour on top of that, so whatever your mechanic's hourly rate is.
    Just on the rebuild kits, I have heard that they are not always successful, I presume your calliper is sticking?

Yeah its sticking alright hoping its only one i assume you dont have to replace the 2 if one is knackered

would you advise buying a new part so? just toc confirm 300 is for a new one yeah?

TBH I would give a 2nd hand part a go first. Not sure I'd buy it over the internet though.

You probably need new discs & pads so too?? Are they cooked? Killer!

• Advertisement

Got new pads and disks on saturday 250 yo yo for the privelige

phoned one of the breaker yards today and they have one the only thing is its a caliper off a car without ABS does anyone if this makes a difference? must be a pretty old car not having ABS considering mine is 11 years old and has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

seanie500 wrote: »
    phoned one of the breaker yards today and they have one the only thing is its a caliper off a car without ABS does anyone if this makes a difference? must be a pretty old car not having ABS considering mine is 11 years old and has it?

ask them for the last 7 digids of the vin number and put it in here
    http://bmwfans.info/original/
    then compare the part numbers against yours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

seanie500 wrote: »
    i got my front brake pads and disks done the weekend and the guy said that i will need to get the caliper replaced ( not sure if it is right one or left or both) anyway he hasnt given me a price yet and said i could get them second hand. i spotted a 2nd hand pair on e bay for £35 but thats from a 96 with 80k on it. what i wanted to know was how much are calipers if you buy new plus what would labour be to fit them?? also is it silly buying 2nd hand ones as these could fail soon ( i've over 100k on my car v 80k with ones i saw??)

any opinions much appreciated

A new caliper from BMW would be stupid money. Just get a second hand one. Some motor factors so exchange calipers, which is another option in between the two above... Labour should be around 30 minutes, to change caliper and bleed it out, top up brake fluid, check everything, done...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭paddy316i

The calipers on by 328i seized up but the mechanic put them on a lathe and got the rust off them. Good as new now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement