Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer desk (gaming) Suggestions

Options
  • 15-09-2008 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Anybody who could suggest a good computer desk?

I have one for the last 10 years and it has not aged well.
    I would like to get something with lots of space, adjust-ability and most of all - A large keyboard tray!

I dont understand why almost every computer desk has small keyboard tray, with little room for the mouse. The lack of gaming orientated desks disturbs me too

Ive spent a couple hours today looking and there is very little. The only gaming desk I found was this
    $650 and doesn't ship outside US. This is a little elaborate for my taste but I like the set up
    Rocca.jpg

-
    -
    -

Other discussions on other forums suggested this thing from IKEA. But I don't like the lack of features.
    21529_PE118490_S4.jpg

Thought I might ask here what people are using or if anyone knows of a good desk. Im contemplating just building the bloody thing myself

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Those keyboard trays are designed for keyboards only, your supposed to have your mouse above them.

I never liked them nor do I use them myself. I just have an ordinary flat desk with lots of space to move the mouse!! Thats all you need really!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

ARGGHH Stop giving me ideas for spending more money! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

py2006 wrote: »
    Those keyboard trays are designed for keyboards only, your supposed to have your mouse above them.

I never liked them nor do I use them myself. I just have an ordinary flat desk with lots of space to move the mouse!! Thats all you need really!

+1

Have a flat table on wheels, nice and wide that will take a full sized gaming keyboard, 22" monitor and a full sized set of speakers. It's all you really need.

Just buy/build a simple flat, wide table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Krieg wrote: »
    Anybody who could suggest a good computer desk?

The only gaming desk I found was this $650 and doesn't ship outside US. This is a little elaborate for my taste but I like the set up

21529_PE118490_S4.jpg
    Whoa, unless the laptop and printer is included I can't believe this desk is valued at 460 Euro. Another example of something being branded ''gamer'' and then overpriced to the nuts.

I wonder if its a Transformer?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The $650 dollars was for the first table not that one, or at least I think it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

The $650 dollars was for the first table not that one, or at least I think it was.

Thats correct, sorry ill edit my OP

I still don't like the blandness of a flat table. I went down to a DIY place at lunch time to have a look and there was feck all. I did see an executive plain table, which I could modify. But I couldn't tell if it was chip-board type material or solid (Think it was chip board, which makes it very difficult to modify)

Another big thing is that I don't want my tower on the desk. Its an antec 900 and while I wouldn't call it loud, I certainly don't want to have to hear it beside me. I can't leave it on the floor either or it will become a hoover

With regard to the 'Key board tray is for keyboard only'. Ive never come across anyone who used their mouse above keyboard level, In fact I gave it a go earlier and it was very unsettling.

Im currently still searching online shops and forums, but I think I might just buy a flat table and do the modifications. (Our build it from scratch)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The lian li pc desk. A thing of beauty !

lianli_oa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

67eebd9ae31356a6c829c759b2da0b54.image.524x550.jpg

Bargaintown sell this one for €89. [Link]

The keyboard tray isn't huge but, if you're right-handed, you have a place to rest your arm whilst using the mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Manties wrote: »
    The lian li pc desk. A thing of beauty !

lianli_oa.jpg

Oh boy!
    I almost soiled myself
    3dgameman review sounded good and gave a great look into its features. The desk includes a (what I would call) mediocre case though. Everyting else was sound out,would prefer a keyboard tray though. Did the measurements and its a bit too big, but hey I could move some stuff..... Until I saw the price tag - Take a guess
    £3000 Pounds sterling
    I only found that from a forum. In any case, It doesn't look like anyone is stocking it anymore.

Cheers for that fnz
    Its probably the best conventional desk i've seen so far. But I'm not sure about the position of the swivel table. Ill check the measurements tomorrow, time for sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I just use a big spacious desk, does the job perfectly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

I have on that I picked up for my first PC nearly 12 years ago, got it for 30 punt in a market from an office clearout. My father touched it up a bit and that's all it needed. It's a thick and heavy (like myself:D) but I have yet to find a better desk. There's nothing I hate more than a desk that feels like it will snap in two if you put anything heavier than a laptop on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

TBH, stop looking at home computer desks, and start looking at office computer desks. Way better designs, but costly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

MooseJam wrote: »
    I just use a big spacious desk, does the job perfectly

+1

big flat desk is all you need.. id feel stupid with a "gamer desk"

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I just got a regular L shaped computer desk (with an extra filing cabinet). Tis great, fits my 28" and 20" monitors without a problem (with room to go to 2x30"), lots of space for keyboard/mice and other things (printer/lava lamp/phone/shredder).

Mine is 6' x 4'.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

yeah like syco said....its an office desk you need, i got a nice big one, corner sorta desk, 1.6meters one way and 1.2meters the other....not squared....ill try find a pic online, not at home...

But i got bored of that because i needed more space for the mess, so i went to local hardware and bought lots of timber :D ,including a 8x4foot sheet of MDF board:D.......go figure;)

Advertisement