Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can someone explain to me how the Internet connections work in Larkfield?

• 15-09-2008 1:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

I know there's a €60 fee I have to pay for the semester, but do I just pay that when I first move in, or will I sort it out before then?

Also, how is it done exactly? Is it access to the wifi in the area or is it wired through an ethernet connection?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Good to hear, wifi can be a bit dodgy on my laptop from time to time. Cheers.

deise59 wrote: »
    I know there's a €60 fee I have to pay for the semester, but do I just pay that when I first move in, or will I sort it out before then?

Also, how is it done exactly? Is it access to the wifi in the area or is it wired through an ethernet connection?

Thanks
    Okay, here is how it works if I remember correctly.

You first have to move in and in your room, there are two ethernet connections, each labeled. Eg. One is labeled D43 and the other V43. You have to remember the d one.

Next you have to go and get yourself registered. If you're a first year, DCU seems awful big for the first week and then you will find it easy enough to get around. So what I did was go to the free internet in the campus res welcome center and went to my portal page and click the appropriate link to get internet access.

You then have to put in your details and also the "data point number" - which in this case is D43. The other thing you need are credit card details. It gives you the option of paying for one or both semesters. Pay for both because I think this year it's cheaper. Because everyone is wanting access, it may take a day or two before you will have internet in your room.

Then, they do offer free IPTV in the res. So, stop by the Freewire TV website and download the software and register and then look forward to good quality streaming television. Last year, the channel selection was pretty **** but barable. I do believe that they are planning on offering more channels during the year, possibly the irish ones.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Forgot to say that it is a wired connection and that CSD doesn't allow wireless networks and I think will fine you if you have any. CSD will give you a free ethernet cable if you require one but I think they were given out really short ones last year so your best bet is to go and get yourself a long one as then you can use the laptop in bed or relaxin in your armchair in the other side of the room...

That's perfect cynic, thanks a lot for clearing that up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I was going to get the O2 mobile broadband and not bother with paying for campus internet. Are you saying now they're going to fine me for it? Will my mobile wireless even work in the apartment?
    Thanks for the info by the way!

• Advertisement

Personally, I would stay away from o2 broadband if you are living on campus. Because:
    a) Campus Internet is much faster
    b) Although filesharing is blocked, there are no download limits or extra charges
    c) IPTV
    d) There is a wireless network everywhere around campus except in res so you would look silly having the o2 broadband

They won't punish you for using o2 broadband, I don't believe o2 broadband is a wireless router...What they mean is, if you plug a wireless router into your ethernet connection and share your connection around campus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭jennZ

About the payment of internet - I am not realy sure but on my DCU portal it says that you can pay it online via crdit card. It's 60eu for 1 semester and 100 for both. You give your room number and I think you'll immediately have connection when you come on the 21st. It says that you don't have to go to the CSD helpdesk. I am thinking of paying it tomorrow.

Apart from that - no wireless connection and no torrents download. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

jennZ wrote: »
    About the payment of internet - I am not realy sure but on my DCU portal it says that you can pay it online via crdit card. It's 60eu for 1 semester and 100 for both. You give your room number and I think you'll immediately have connection when you come on the 21st. It says that you don't have to go to the CSD helpdesk. I am thinking of paying it tomorrow.

Just use opera and you can download torrents....that's what my friend did anyway.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

Is there anything you have to do to be able to access the campus wireless like pay money or go & have something set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

jennZ wrote: »

Rapidshare is your friend ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

If I ring dcu tomorrow and tell them my room number, will they give me the data point number thingy so that I can have it set up before moving in on sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭jennZ

I hope so! I'll write an e-mail to the helpdesk tomorrow both for data point number and rsidence house number. I just have my home number! Hopefully they'll explain everything... this time :D

Cool, let us know how you get on

Nanaki wrote:
    If I ring dcu tomorrow and tell them my room number, will they give me the data point number thingy so that I can have it set up before moving in on sunday?
    Believe me, in the first few days, you will be too drunk to operate a computer let alone want to... So don't worry about that yet...

Advertisement