Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rathfarnham to howth???

Options
  • 15-09-2008 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

hello all,

i want to see what all this hype surrounding howth hill is about and was wondering if anyone could suggest the best possible route from rathfarnham out to howth, as i know some of you often do the reverse to get out to the edmundstown road and stocking lane.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

This route is what I'd suggest... not really many options for avoiding town without coming over the East Link unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I would advise turning right at Sutton Cross (see here) instead of going straight ahead into Howth village. The road in/out of the village is rubbish. Eh, don't expect too much from Howth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Raam wrote: »
    The road in/out of the village is rubbish. Eh, don't expect too much from Howth :)

The road is indeed rubbish. On the other hand the thing that always gets me about about going the other way (i.e. "south face") is that you can't descend into the village without having to sit on the brakes, thus negating all the hard work you did getting to the summit. If you do avoid the village, I'd suggest turning back the way you came at the summit to enjoy a proper descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

rflynnr wrote: »
    The road is indeed rubbish. On the other hand the thing that always gets me about about going the other way (i.e. "south face") is that you can't descend into the village without having to sit on the brakes, thus negating all the hard work you did getting to the summit. If you do avoid the village, I'd suggest turning back the way you came at the summit to enjoy a proper descent.

I recommend going all the way into the village, just for the rush you get when cars start to reverse out in front of you and stop just in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Alternatively, if you want to get that Pantani - "vest zipped all the way down cos I'm sweating so much" feeling, you have to take the village way up. I can actually do it (relatively) easily now, although I haven't timed myself. I'd be interested to see how I shape up compared to the "proper" cyclists on here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Raam wrote: »
    I recommend going all the way into the village, just for the rush you get when cars start to reverse out in front of you and stop just in time.

Is is possible Howth village is situated above a nascent black hole? Everything (including reaction times) seems to move a bit slower there. You come into the village and a car appears from the harbour from your left. You make eye contact with the driver who then, in an astonishing interpretation of who has priority, pulls out in front of you in slow motion before dawdling off at a pace which more or less demands that you overtake them. There's no malice in their behaviour but whenever I go past the Deer Park, I feel like I'm passing through one of those white-picket sequences at the start of "Blue Velvet".

Advertisement