Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study Aroad

Options
  • 15-09-2008 2:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey everyone im from Texas and i want to study in Ireland but I'm in need of some advise. I want study in cork or Limerick so I want to know which place would be better in terms of education, student population, nightlife etc.I'm gonna e paying about $30,000 for a yearlong program so i want get my monies worth. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Probably not going to get an unbiased opinion on the UL thread, but I'm gonna go ahead and say Limerick. The campus is much nicer by far and the city is more centrally located for travelling around Ireland and any of the study abroad students who I knew and came here from the US all loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

There's about 11,000 students in UL I think...that doesn't include post graduates. Someone else will probably have more accurate numbers. The nightlife in UL and Limerick is good and you'll probably enjoy yourself if you do decide to go there. Education wise UL is pretty well recognised e.g. David Parnas a prominent computer scientist was a researcher in the CSIS department for a number of years.

Limerick is also close to Shannon airport and has got decent rail links with Dublin & Cork. So yeah I'd say go for Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

What course do you do?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Txgrl

Well, at my university I'm majoring in anthropology but I'm really interested in irish culture and history and that sort of thing. So I really want to study there even though all my friends are telling me to go to places like Spain or Italy. I don't want to go to Spain though because I already speak spanish and I don't really need to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

There are a number of modules here that might interest you if you decide on UL, like Irish language for beginners, Irish music and dance, Irish folklore. So you won't be alone- there'll be penty of other Americans with you! There's a few Irish people here as well :-)
    The campus is a bit outside the city (what, 3 km?) but it's all together, not like UCC, where you'll get very fit running from one part of the city to another for classes.
    You could, of course, go to Spain or Italy- but from Ireland you can go pretty much anywhere in Europe with Ryanair and their cheap flights. I've had a few American housemates over the years and they're gone to Spain, France, Italy, London during their time in Limerick.

And, of course, they don't have the fantastic weather we do!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Txgrl

klong wrote: »
    There are a number of modules here that might interest you if you decide on UL, like Irish language for beginners, Irish music and dance, Irish folklore. So you won't be alone- there'll be penty of other Americans with you! There's a few Irish people here as well :-)
    The campus is a bit outside the city (what, 3 km?) but it's all together, not like UCC, where you'll get very fit running from one part of the city to another for classes.
    You could, of course, go to Spain or Italy- but from Ireland you can go pretty much anywhere in Europe with Ryanair and their cheap flights. I've had a few American housemates over the years and they're gone to Spain, France, Italy, London during their time in Limerick.

And, of course, they don't have the fantastic weather we do!
    Yeah, What's the weather like over there. Here in Texas it's freakin' hot all the time. I here it rains alot there?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

It has been a particularly wet summer...
    Today was 'really' sunny though. The weather is generally mild, we don't get extreme temperatures {not too cold, not too warm}.

I'd go to cork if I were you. UL doesn't have the same rep for arts.
    Cork is a much nicer city.

Txgrl wrote: »
    Yeah, What's the weather like over there. Here in Texas it's freakin' hot all the time. I here it rains alot there?

I was in Louisiana during the summer. You'll probably actually like the weather here! Around now the temperature is around 11-16C (not sure what that is in fahrenheit!), but definitely nowhere near as hot and humid as the US. We do get plenty of rain and misery though :cool:

Txgrl wrote: »

SO you've thanked UCC...does that mean you're ours now? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I'd go to cork if I were you. UL doesn't have the same rep for arts.
    Cork is a much nicer city.
    mary i has a good arts course and is linked to UL. i imagine it wouldn't be tough to study there as opposed to on the other side of town

Advertisement