Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ARW Question

• 15-09-2008 3:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

hey guys, i know from reading other threads that people don't like to talk about the ARW but my question is pretty specific, and supposed to be public knowledge.

i have a vague recollection of watching a documentary a few years back about the french foreign legion. there was a part of it where they were talking abouit their training assault course, and how the USMC could barely manage a qualifying time around it (i think the assault course may have been teamwork based). then they mentiones that the only guests they've had that beat their times to date were the ARW.

could anyone tell me if they've heard anything similar or where i could check this to verify it? not 100% trusting of the old memory. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 exbootie

garbarrage wrote: »
    hey guys, i know from reading other threads that people don't like to talk about the ARW but my question is pretty specific, and supposed to be public knowledge.

i have a vague recollection of watching a documentary a few years back about the french foreign legion. there was a part of it where they were talking abouit their training assault course, and how the USMC could barely manage a qualifying time around it (i think the assault course may have been teamwork based). then they mentiones that the only guests they've had that beat their times to date were the ARW.

could anyone tell me if they've heard anything similar or where i could check this to verify it? not 100% trusting of the old memory. thanks

You are aware that assault course is in French new Guinea ?

I dont recall that programme mentioning the Wing.

The legion certainly turn out fine physical specimens but I've been pretty dubious for a long time now about the content and quality of their training (the language thing worries me, most Legionarres seem to speak pretty execrable French, how good is their understanding of their training going to be?). Moreover, I've spoken to former Brit soldiers who joined the legion and while they had some great stories to tell all agreed that the level lof tactical training at section and platoon level was poor and extremely basic. A section attack for example didn't go much beyond the level of getting the boys in a straight line and running at the enemy position firing all the way.

They certainly looked the part and were doing a three-day march with full kit, the OC thought they were getting soft apparently. At one point we were shown them on the range fiing in an inter-platoon competition. It looked fairly basic and undemanding, prone position only and bipods down on their FAMAS's, the range looked to be about 200m. Anyway, we watched a Moroccan private shooting and missing and he was given some "input"from the senior weapons instructor (a public school educated Brit incidentally) which had no visible effect. It was obvious to me that this guy had never been taught to shoot properly in the first place, his position was all wrong and unnatural, he was flinching and snatching the trigger and failng to follow through. This all went uncorrected , I would have expected more from the elite of the French Army . Quite frankly, I'd put any half-decent british Infantry bn. up against it's legion equivalent in all phases of war, the legion might win the assault course competitions and look great climbing a cliff with a knife between their teeth but I have my doubt's as to their ability to function well on the modern battlefield or in sophisticated assymetric warfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

garbarrage wrote: »

this dude is prop going to turn out to be a walt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Twinytwo the OP has come here seeking our help.
    If you can help him please do.
    Unfounded judgemental posts like yours are bordering on personal abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 garbarrage

twinytwo wrote: »
    this dude is prop going to turn out to be a walt
    no idea what a walt is, but have a somewhat unreliable memory at best and came here to seek info from people who seem to be informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Sorry cannot answer the original question but to knock the legion tactics is wrong. They follow the same basic drills as the French army and from working with them in Bosnia I will never forget a hissy fit we got into on Mount Igman where they performed extremely well in a Firefight with the local Republica Serpske brigade (SP I know). I also encountered them during the Gulf War and again they performed well.

As for one man not being able to hit a target it happens all the time in the military. I had my moments on range days as a young soldier but after 6 years service I was a bisley regular and getting medals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 exbootie

Leadership wrote: »
    Sorry cannot answer the original question but to knock the legion tactics is wrong. They follow the same basic drills as the French army and from working with them in Bosnia I will never forget a hissy fit we got into on Mount Igman where they performed extremely well in a Firefight with the local Republica Serpske brigade (SP I know). I also encountered them during the Gulf War and again they performed well.

As for one man not being able to hit a target it happens all the time in the military. I had my moments on range days as a young soldier but after 6 years service I was a bisley regular and getting medals.

Its common knowledge in regards to section and platoon battle drills the legion are inflexible and primitive. The legion is light years behind the BAs infantry battle schools division in both its ethos and approach and training. Never mind the US Marine corps school of infantry.

In Bosnia you would have seen 2Rep the legions elite.

You tell me how in the age of the digital battlefield you can take East Europeans, West Europeans, Africans, Asians, all speaking different languages, with vary degrees of familiarity with modernity, and meld them into a MODERN combat force...it doesn't happen easily or cheaply. And the Legion doesn't or didn't do a great job of doing it, as most think...In the old days, when marching, pidgin French, brutal discipline and the ability to load and fire a musket were the keys to combat success the Legion was good. It's a different world today.

The legion is becoming more and more isloated from the approach to campaigns of 21st century intelligence led hearts and minds asymetrical conflicts.

Who were you with in Granby ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

exbootie wrote: »

Who were you with in Granby ?

32 Armoured Engineers - Stuck in a Centurion for my sins

It was 2 REP who were our "force protection" along with a handy Czech infantry unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

An Cosantoir recently ran an articule on some assult course type competitions which the ARM have competed in.

When I'm home I'll try find it, but basically they fared very well and won some disciplines too.

Since it was printed in An Cosantoir the OP could ring the Army press office requesting more information, I'm sure the guys there will be willing to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 garbarrage

Mairt wrote: »
    An Cosantoir recently ran an articule on some assult course type competitions which the ARM have competed in.

When I'm home I'll try find it, but basically they fared very well and won some disciplines too.

Since it was printed in An Cosantoir the OP could ring the Army press office requesting more information, I'm sure the guys there will be willing to help.
    not a bad idea. will definitely look into it. thanks for the replies lads. i'll post what i find out for those who might be interested.

Advertisement