Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Parenting

Options
  • 15-09-2008 8:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all, Just thought I would set up a quick thread to hear any ones views on the following.

While in a family restaurant yesterday having dinner with my OH, there was a family opposite also enjoying their meal. There was 2 young boys with them, probably about 7 and 12. While eating their dinner I was waiting for mine and was just sort of glancing around the entire restaurant.

The younger of the two boys was acting up a little, boys will be boys! And he and his brother were sort of kicking each other under the table. The young boy kind of stood up and kicked his brother again.

Now I know this is a bit annoying especially if your family is out for sunday lunch but what the father did I think was completely uncalled for. When the yound boy sat back down (beside his father), his father gave him an almightyful THUMP in his chest. It was clearly heard thoughout the restaurant.

Me and my OH were completely disgusted and shocked by this. We didnt say anything directly to the family, (although I wish I had now) but we did give some loud remarks and dirty looks.

What would anyone else so in this situation??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

And you felt it was your place to say something because...?I'd keep my mouth shut,their kids their business, throwing dirty looks at them was childish imo,goes to show how pc ireland is now,teachers would hit students years ago and now parents get judged for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

OP, with parents who couldnt be bothered to figure out another way of dealing with their own child .. even in public.. rather then thump them, i think its best to not say anything because lets face it, are they really going to listen?

And yes i think it is everyones right to stick up for children, even if it means you are wrong imho. It doesnt mean you have to go over there and start shouting and ranting and raving at them, but in your situation i would havd done the dirty looks too.

I wouldnt consider it bad parenting, just misguided.I mean who hear hasnt lost the rag at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not really your business. If he had hit him more seriously, like a punch or something, maybe an intervention is warranted, but it's a family matter. Many parents would feel that this is OK.

While not abuse, striking your child in public is just a parenting fail though. It's ironic that the adult hits the child to show the child that it's wrong to kick his brother. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

What were you hoping to achieve by your loud remarks and dirty looks?

Were you just making sure that everyone in the restaurant knows that you would never do that to your own child?

Of course it was wrong what he did, there is no need to even discuss that, it is your reaction to it that I wonder about.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

jtbub15 wrote: »

What would anyone else so in this situation??

I'd be busy minding my own business and paying attention to my GF who I am suppose to be keeping company instead of judging everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

A full grown adult thumping a (7/12 year old) child in the chest?
    Child abuse imo.

I'd have said something to him directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

OP doesn't mention if the kid cried or was upset. I'm sure many of up got a wallop or strap when we were young and it didn't do any harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭metamorphic

The child acted up and learned there's consequences to his actions. Might have seemed a bit harsh but there was no way to exclude the child from the table at that point in time, because to do so would leave the child unattended. At an extreme the child might have been removed to the car, but again, that's not safe either.

You wonder why teenagers these days run amok, it's because there's no consequences to their actions. I'd wager in 10 years that child won't be one of the local hoodlums terrorising you as you try to go about your business.

I'd have to have witnessed the blow to comment whether it was over the top or not. looking back on my childhood I was stuck on occasion, not very often, but I think if I was acting up like that a similar action would have been taken.

Zulu wrote: »
    Child abuse imo.

Hardly.

I wouldn't do it myself and hate to see children being hit, especially in public, but lets not get carried away here.

An adult thumping a child in the chest is child abuse.
    That's not getting carried away, it's a statement of fact.

If a thump isn't abusive - what is? Does blood have to be drawn before you'd be satisfied?

• Advertisement

An adult thumping a child in the chest is child abuse.
    That's not getting carried away, it's a statement of fact.

If a thump isn't abusive - what is? Does blood have to be drawn before you'd be satisfied?

Not condoning it. Wouldn't ever do it. If I witnessed a severe assault, I would certainly get involved.

But if you're saying it is comparable to actual child abuse or assault, it's not. Unfortunately it's not illegal and a great many parents would not see it as such.

I see it as failed parenting though.

stovelid wrote: »
    Not condoning it. Wouldn't ever do it. If I witnessed a severe assault, I would certainly get involved.
    I understand that.
    But if you're saying it is comparable to actual child abuse or assault, it's not.
    I don't follow you here. IMO it is child abuse. As in, it's abusing a child. (Physically) How is it not? If you had done the same to the child while the parents and a Guard were there to witness, what do you think the outcome would have been?
    Unfortunately it's not illegal and a great many parents would not see it as such.
    Ahhh, "legally", perhaps, but I wasn't discussing what is or isn't legal you understand.
    I see it as failed parenting though.
    Agreed.

I understand that.
    I don't follow you here. IMO it is child abuse. As in, it's abusing a child. (Physically) How is it not? If you had done the same to the child while the parents and a Guard were there to witness, what do you think the outcome would have been?

Sure, I hear you.

I just mean that there is a certain 'acceptable' (albeit not to me) level of physical chastisement that a large proportion of society would accept and that the law condones. I would get only get involved if I thought I saw that zone being left. Otherwise you are interfering on the basis that you don't agree with a person's method of parenting.

Again, I feel like I'm cheerleading for people who belt their kids in public. I'm not. I would not approve at all, but I wouldn't stare, comment or intervene unless I saw fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Plus op you would be the one onhere moaning how your dinner was ruined cause the parents didnt check the child.Would you rather the kids got bored kicking each other and then went mad about the restaurent while the parents just sat there.There was obviously no other way of stopping the child.Can i ask do you have kids cause if you dont its alright to say i wouldnt do this or i wouldnt do that nobody knows how they react or what the sitaution was before they went out to eat.Im not saying its alright to bate the ****e out of them but he didnt just a slap and that was that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jtbub15

Not really your business. If he had hit him more seriously, like a punch or something,

The father really thumped him hard! closed fist right to the chest...hard. To another poster.... yeah the child was very upset and crying but he was told to shut up so he just sat in silence with tears streaming down his face...he looked to petrified to do anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I think it is bad parenting. Is it enough to call it abuse, well yes I guess it is.

As to what I would do ... well to be honest I would have probably done pretty much what the OP did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I think it is bad parenting. Is it enough to call it abuse, well yes I guess it is.

As to what I would do ... well to be honest I would have probably done pretty much what the OP did.

what made stupid comments and rolled your eyes?

Very pro active..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

ntlbell this is your final warning quit the antognatic and trolling posts.

marti101 wrote: »
    Plus op you would be the one onhere moaning how your dinner was ruined cause the parents didnt check the child.Would you rather the kids got bored kicking each other and then went mad about the restaurent while the parents just sat there.There was obviously no other way of stopping the child.Can i ask do you have kids cause if you dont its alright to say i wouldnt do this or i wouldnt do that nobody knows how they react or what the sitaution was before they went out to eat.Im not saying its alright to bate the ****e out of them but he didnt just a slap and that was that

I agree with you that a slap does no one any harm, often got a few of them in my day! but in no way was this a slap. IMO totally out of order. I work with kids, I have kids and a thump like that is never ever needed. If I was having dinner in a fabcy hotel were i was paying a fortune I would get a bit annoyed about kids running around i suppose but this was a famly restaurant at 3 or 4 on a sunday. It was expected that kids would be there so I would never get annoyed about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

There have been MANY of these threads on this forum and generally I come out on the side of saying a slap is NOT abuse. From the description given on this thread however, this sounds a bit more than a slap and is definitely wrong.

As to what to do though...haven't a clue. To be perfectly honest I would probably have done the same as the OP also though in the hope of getting a message to the people involved without being confrontational or antagonistic.

• Advertisement

marti101 wrote: »
    There was obviously no other way of stopping the child.
    How did you manage to assertain that from the OP?
    Im not saying its alright to bate the ****e out of them but he didnt just a slap and that was that
    Nope, this wasn't "just a slap". The father thumped the child with such force that the other diners could clearly hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls we already have a large mega thread about the slapping issue.

Can we please get back to the topic of what you would do if it happened in front of you and lets try and keep the thread civil and constructive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I am not saying that the right thing to do is make comments to each other and roll your eyes. But I can honestly say that ...its pretty much what I would have done! Then went home, probably told my sister about it in one of our daily phone chats, perhaps came on to an internet site and ranted about it.

And spent a good few hours worrying about what I should have done, what I could have done ..

but at the end of the day what would aproaching said parent have achieved? More than likely a shout from the parent about minding your own business - about how he parents his kid being his business - or such like.

I am not saying that the right thing to do is make comments to each other and roll your eyes. But I can honestly say that ...its pretty much what I would have done! Then went home, probably told my sister about it in one of our daily phone chats, perhaps came on to an internet site and ranted about it.

And spent a good few hours worrying about what I should have done, what I could have done ..

but at the end of the day what would aproaching said parent have achieved? More than likely a shout from the parent about minding your own business - about how he parents his kid being his business - or such like.

haha sounds like you and me are exactly the same person!! thats exactly how I was feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 esmeralda

jtbub15 wrote: »
    haha sounds like you and me are exactly the same person!! thats exactly how I was feeling.

+1

I think it's how many, many people would feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

I was on a bus years ago,up at the front. Across from me was another bus with a man and a child about 5,a little boy. The boy did or said something and next thing the man banged the childs head right down onto the bar of the seat in front of them. He turned and smirked at me as if to say "what are you gonna do"? Meanwhile the little boy was roaring crying. Ive NEVER forgotten that and I still think what happened to that child. Im sorry,but I could not ignore that incident and I wouldnt care if I was called a busybody but I would have to say something.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

An adult who hits a child with the intention of causing the child pain in my opinion is abusing that child.
    I know how I feel about my son...sure he can try my patience at times...but NEVER EVER would I raise a finger to him. If I did it to a guy my own size, Id probably get the snot kicked outta me and then arrested...so what gives an adult the right to hit a child?

Theres ways and means to discipline kids....but to physically assualt them is not one of them.

Children are some of the most vunerable, innocent people in our society...and look up to us as parents to show them and teach them and mould them into the sort of adults we would like to see them become one day....but to do that using physical violence as a punishment when it suits us is IMHO steering them in an unhealthy direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I wouldnt consider it bad parenting, just misguided.I mean who hear hasnt lost the rag at some point.

I think we all have. Children like to push the boundaries. :) Totally natural. Healthy even.
    I wouldn't do it myself and hate to see children being hit, especially in public, but lets not get carried away here.

Exactly. The fact of the matter is that your chest is a big strong piece of kit. It would take an _enormous_ amount of force to do any damage there. Honestly, I can't see myself ever hitting my kids in public....but.....
    I'd have said something to him directly.

I'd strongly suggest you don't. Other peoples parenting choices are none of your business tbh. Also...it really is very difficult to say what you would have done. You didn't witness this "thump" so you don't know how hard it was / malice intended / etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Clytus wrote: »
    Theres ways and means to discipline kids....but to physically assualt them is not one of them.

Take it to the slapping thread tbh. I've no problem with it myself, though I have never resorted to it.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    I'd strongly suggest you don't.
    Meh, I'm not the type of person to sit back and watch abuse happen before my eyes.
    Other peoples parenting choices are none of your business tbh.
    True, but assualt has nothing to do with parenting.
    Also...it really is very difficult to say what you would have done. You didn't witness this "thump" so you don't know how hard it was / malice intended / etc.
    Well I'm only commenting on the information submitted for my perusal. On the back of that, a child was thumped in the chest by an adult. Simple as.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement