Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Parenting

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Cant believe some of the repsonses on this thread. THe man thumped a child :eek: I cant honesly say what I would do in the situation, but would be very concerned about what kind of punishment methods the father does at home, where noone can see. I m ean, if he can thump his child in the chest in public..Id only assume its worse at home :(

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

Id agree ladye.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I would've reacted the same way as the op. In fact if I knew where they lived I would've reported it. If that's the way they treat their child in public what goes on behind closed doors. Thumping a child in the chest is child abuse -end of. That's what those two boys are growing up experiencing so that's how they will treat each other and others. My sister saw a man thumping his little girl repeatedly on the back one day in a street near her home. She rang the guards. She knew the street they lived in,the little one's first name, the country they were from and the school she goes to but that's all she could tell them so I don't know if anything was done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Ann22 wrote: »
    In fact if I knew where they lived I would've reported it. If that's the way they treat their child in public what goes on behind closed doors. Thumping a child in the chest is child abuse -end of..

Reported to whom? Social services? Nice to see you wasting their (extremely finite) time resources on what is basically hearsay about what goes on in their house.

I don't agree with hitting a child. Especially not with closed hand in the chest. Especially not in public. But it is not comparable to sexual abuse, neglect or extreme violence. All of which are the province of the social services and police.

Anybody doing any of the above know what they are doing wrong. Public 'slappers' think they are being firm and corrective. Like my mum's spare the rod generation. Wrong, bad for the child, but not abuse.

After reading some of the posts here, I would like to see how hard the slap actually was myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 carolinearc

I would have done the same. It's time to teach the children some good manners, know how to behave in public, respect other people and of course respect their parents. If the parents let them do whatever they want, thats why there are so may rotten children, behave badly in public and doesn't respect others. Why because "mummy and daddy" let them do whatever they want, spoil them. This doesn't work with me, i brought this child to the world so its my duty to give him/her good education, good manners and good respect.

I was in a cafe yesterday having a coffee and a girl around 14 or 15 was shouting at her mother to buy her a hot chocolate. The mother bought for her and on the table, she was shouting at her mother because there was no mashmallows. Poor women was so disappointed in public because her girl was shouting so loud and giving out to her. If it was my child a big slap in her face would have shut her up, anyway my kids doesn't behave like that.

Again i blame the parents, yes you are to be blame. You spoiled them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jtbub15

god thats a bit harsh? i know when i was growing up my parents never abused me like that and I have nothing but respect for them for them respecting me?

So would you of let your husband/partner to thump your young son in the chest very hard and sit back and let him??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

I would have done the same. It's time to teach the children some good manners, know how to behave in public, respect other people and of course respect their parents. If the parents let them do whatever they want, thats why there are so may rotten children, behave badly in public and doesn't respect others. Why because "mummy and daddy" let them do whatever they want, spoil them. This doesn't work with me, i brought this child to the world so its my duty to give him/her good education, good manners and good respect.

I was in a cafe yesterday having a coffee and a girl around 14 or 15 was shouting at her mother to buy her a hot chocolate. The mother bought for her and on the table, she was shouting at her mother because there was no mashmallows. Poor women was so disappointed in public because her girl was shouting so loud and giving out to her. If it was my child a big slap in her face would have shut her up, anyway my kids doesn't behave like that.

Again i blame the parents, yes you are to be blame. You spoiled them.

Is this for real? You really think you teach children respect for others and good manners by hitting them? Unbelievable. Hit them and you teach them fear, it's a totally different thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

Hippo wrote: »
    Is this for real? You really think you teach children respect for others and good manners by hitting them? Unbelievable. Hit them and you teach them fear, it's a totally different thing.

Its the sorta thing someone who doesnt have kids says.....

She says she has kids. I have two, they're grown up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I think people forget when their kids are past that stage how bold and annoying they can be,they can and do test the patients of a saint.Im not saying what that man did was right but we have all been at the end of our tether at some satge.You cant say waht kind of parent he is based on one situation thats just unreasonable.He could be a brilliant father who momentarily lost the rag.And if the child hadnt been corrected the op would have been sayng they cant control their kids,you cant win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 carolinearc

It's not anybody's business to report anything anyway. All you have to do is to look at your own tail instead looking at others.

I dnt hit my kids because they are very respectable one. I showed them good manners since they were very small. I am not the kind of mother to let my kids go and hang around shopping centres at night time, go and sit besides shops, shouting at other people on the road or even play with other rotten one's. They are aware of that and i am proud the way they are being brought up. There is a time for them to be spoiled and there is a time for them to face the reality. When it's no its no and when it's yes its yes. Some children are very rotten and spoiled here and for me i blame the parents. If your child lives under your roof, he/she has to obey you and follow your rules. If you can't control them, no point of making babies then and enjoy your freedom. If you want to have children, you have to take your responsibility as a parent.

And don't come and tell me it's a bit harsh, i don't think the man would do that to hurt his kid. It's just a way to to punish him. Am certain that the kid won't be doing that again.

It's not my business if you spoiled your children but at least they should behave properly in public and respect other people. I don't care if they doesn't respect you as a parent but at least for the society they should. :)

marti101 wrote: »
    I think people forget when their kids are past that stage how bold and annoying they can be,they can and do test the patients of a saint.

I remember clearly how annoying and frustrating my kids could be when they were small, I was at the end of my tether plenty of times. Nevertheless if the adult doesn't deal with the situation without completely losing it how can you expect kids to learn to behave any differently? That's surely what being a parent is all about, difficult as it is.

The incident as described by the OP was assault, end of. If the guy had hit his wife like that I don't think so many people would be quite so cool about it. Do kids rank a little lower on the scale or something? The kid was misbehaving, sure. He hardly deserved to be thumped and humiliated in public by his 'loving' parent. I'd have said something to him alright, just as quickly as it had been his wife he'd hit. Bullying is bullying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jtbub15

Hippo wrote: »
    If the guy had hit his wife like that I don't think so many people would be quite so cool about it. Do kids rank a little lower on the scale or something?

That a very good point, if he had to hit his wife like that there would have been mayhem in the restaurant. Kids dont deserve to be hit like that IMO. If I ever see something like that again (hopefully not) I am definately going to say something, it has been annoying me since that I never said anything to him. I know some people think that it may not be any of my business but children can not speak up for themselves to a bully like that. Something like that needs to be nipped in the bud before it goes any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I would have done the same. It's time to teach the children some good manners, know how to behave in public, respect other people and of course respect their parents. If the parents let them do whatever they want, thats why there are so may rotten children, behave badly in public and doesn't respect others. Why because "mummy and daddy" let them do whatever they want, spoil them.

It's not an either/or choice between good manners and hitting children. There are many ways to teach children good manners and respect for parents without hitting.

Hitting doesn't teach respect, it teaches them to use violence to get their own way. If it's OK to hit kids, it is also OK to hit shop assistants, teachers, nurses etc if they don't respect me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

I would have done the same. It's time to teach the children some good manners, know how to behave in public, respect other people and of course respect their parents. If the parents let them do whatever they want, thats why there are so may rotten children, behave badly in public and doesn't respect others. Why because "mummy and daddy" let them do whatever they want, spoil them. This doesn't work with me, i brought this child to the world so its my duty to give him/her good education, good manners and good respect
    You're not teaching them to respect you, you're teaching them to be afraid of you because you happen to be bigger.
    Of course you won't always be, I bet then you'll reassess your opinion.

This is just a rationalisation parents use, the reality is they lose their temper and lash out at the child. It's not as if they're making a cool rational judgement that making the child fear physical retribution is the best way to teach them how to behave.
    Who would sit down and ask themselves how to teach their child something, and come up with the answer.. Pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aspire One

doesnt anybody think it is our responsibility as people to give a crap i wish i had had someone to come up to my so called parents and tell them stop and stick up for me. i once was in a dunnes car park got a few bits and was putting them in the boot and noticed a little toddler definately around the one mark and she was in the car all by herself just left there i sat into my car and thought maybe the parent has just gone to put the trolley away and left her tere(which i hate ppl doing) i sat tere for a few minutes and then a second child popt up must av been sleeping or something i guess and this child was no older than 6 the minutes where passing and no sign of any parent at all i could have been sitting there for an hour and this was late at night i took the reg and gave it to the guards the car was unlocked anyone could have taken tese children if they wer paying attention lik i was by now it has gone to social services and it is there job now ppl need to care more about children it is our business!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Please do not drag up four year old threads.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement