Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting Apple trees - Damp or dry area?

Options
  • 15-09-2008 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi

I have 2 apples tress to plant.
    One side of my garden is pretty marshy. The other side is relatively dry.
    Both sides would get good light.
    Where would the apple tress be happiest?

Also, these tress are about 6 foot high. They have being in pots for at least the last 6 months while I was waiting for building work to finish. They don't look too happy. Should I leave it until november when when it is recommended to plant bare root trees?

I have seen on gardening programs on tv where there is some powder ( whitish) that they sprinkle in the hole first before placing the tree. What is this and should I get some?

Anything else that I should keep in mind when planting them?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 familykane

Hi,

they say dry side is best but I have a cox's pippin planted in a reatively damp part of my garden and it seems to be doing fine.

Trees in pots need more attention than when planted in the ground so they may need to be fed and watered. that could be why they look so sad?

I find mulching the top of the pot with Gee-up or B&Q farmyard manure works pretty well. you can get Gee-up in any garden center. lash a load of that into the whole before you put the tree in the ground as well and you'll see the benefit next year for sure.

depending on your soil type (mine is claggy sub soil) it might be worth it to chuck the stuff you dig out to put the tree in and buy some screened top soil. again mix it with some of the framyard stuff and you tree is off to a great start.

the whiteish stuff is usually bonemeal or it could be a specific fruit tree fertilizer. I never really know how much to use so I prefer the mulches than the powder.

the other thing I would suggest is to put the tree stake in the whole before the tree. that way you don't damage the roots

happy planting,
    Roy

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Blinder

Thanks Roy

Advertisement