Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Camping this Weekend/any ideas

Options
  • 15-09-2008 8:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭

Going to head to wicklow...wild camping or campsites...anyone got any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Any response to this thread.

I was also thinking of doing some camping soon, in the Dublin/Wicklow area.

I noticed that the only sites listed on www.camping-ireland.ie in Dublin are Clondalkin and Rush.

Also does anyone know any good wild camping spots?
    I see there's a thread on here already but its based around one spot.

Any new ideas folks?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

well we just headed for Laragh and just before you get to Laragh there is a pub(can think of the name)..take a right and drive up the road for about 5 mins...first parking spot you see...take the north route on the wicklow way .

bout a 10 min trek, you will come to a point on the path where you can see up through the ferns. Climb up there and you are totally secluded, it has a nice spot for about 4 tents..surrounded by trees and out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 krellhunter

garytuohy wrote: »
    Going to head to wicklow...wild camping or campsites...anyone got any suggestions?
    :pac: krellhunter here , yeah we know some place's in wicklow to camp, option 1 is troopers town near laragh there's pubs & shops near by or option 2 is much more remote glenmalure valley its good place plenty of rivers & forests etc hard to get a good mobile signal there if you want to stay in touch with youre friends enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

great campsite in rathdrum in wicklow about 1 hour from dublin. It has recently been done up. has a little lake in the center of the site where you can rent a rowing boat for an hour with safety equipment for about a fiver. its a 2 minute walk from around 10 pubs. and bang smack in the middle of Charles Stewert Parnell country. there is also a train line to the town. and Glenmalure is about a 15 min drive away. i havent camped there yet but will soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭c0mpliant

Me and a few of my friends are planning on going camping towards the end of June and I love camping, but I never had to organise it in Ireland before. When I was younger I used to go camping with my Dad quiet a lot and I've done quite a bit in Sweden, but Sweden has such lax laws about camping (and its so big that even it wasn't you could get away with almost anything, just watch out for bears and such). When my Dad was doing it (he tells me now), he just got in a car and drove into the mountains and then popped up a tent and be damned if he cared for laws etc.

I'd like to do it legally and without worrying about rangers/farmers/police etc. I've heard Glenmalure is the best place to go, but I can't find any info on if a permit is required etc etc let alone where to go exactly in Glenmalure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Certa Cito

Lads,
    Does anyone know a good area for "wild camping" in Louth, more specifically the Cooley Mountains?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Certa Cito wrote: »
    Lads,
    Does anyone know a good area for "wild camping" in Louth, more specifically the Cooley Mountains?
    Cheers.

Hi Certa.

I hate to insight moral panic, but here goes ........

I have friends in Dundalk and we were up visiting them a month ago.
    We took a trip in Carlingford and did a spot of walking.
    I asked them whats the best place to go camping in the area as I have recently started to really get into camping (economic reasons, nice weather etc :))

My said laughed and asked if I was joking?!?!?

He is a local of Dundalk and enjoys his outdoor activities, so I would value his advice, but told me never ever think of going camping in the Cooley peninsula. He said its not very safe and reminded me of this...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/two-scottish-tourists-attacked-and-robbed-in-co-louth-314538.html :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Certa Cito

oldscoil wrote: »
    Hi Certa.

I hate to insight moral panic, but here goes ........

I have friends in Dundalk and we were up visiting them a month ago.
    We took a trip in Carlingford and did a spot of walking.
    I asked them whats the best place to go camping in the area as I have recently started to really get into camping (economic reasons, nice weather etc :))

My said laughed and asked if I was joking?!?!?

He is a local of Dundalk and enjoys his outdoor activities, so I would value his advice, but told me never ever think of going camping in the Cooley peninsula. He said its not very safe and reminded me of this...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/two-scottish-tourists-attacked-and-robbed-in-co-louth-314538.html :(

Ouch!! Just as well I've decided to go to Wicklow instead. :)
    It would seem that wild camping is permissable on Wicklow Mountain National Park land, but the one bit I like the look of is owned by Coillte! So I'm trying to get special permission to camp there.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

Bring a pillow and some Hot chocolate!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭CurranBun

Hi Guys
    Muself and my friends are also going to do this in a few weeks - we are from Wicklow, so would like to steer away from there - we dont want to go to an official site - as we will probably be a bit too loud for other cmapers and dont want to disrupt anyone elses breaks.
    So we want to find a nice secluded spot, away from any walkers / public etc or where we might bother someone.
    We also want to be beside w river / lake etc.
    So any ideas / directsion would be greatly appreciated.
    Just to note - we are very aware of our environment and will respoct it at all time :-) :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭roadrunner 1

have a great time:cool:

Advertisement