Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadcast wireless in an Estate

Options
  • 15-09-2008 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I have about 6 friends living in the same estate as myself it has about 120 houses. We all have broadband with eircom and are paying the line rental for the broadband alone (we do not have any wireless providers in the area). We were wondering if it would be possible to broadcast one signal over the entire estate so that my friends could use it, are there any legal rules blocking us doing this??

Rgds
    Tony

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Yes it is possible but;a) you will be almost certain to need more than the legal power allowed and;b) Eircom might not be too happy with you either. Check the small print in their terms and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You would also be liable for whatever was downloaded unless you intend to run a proxy server to track usage, but still you'd be responsible for the downloads of others.

MC

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You would also be liable for whatever was downloaded unless you intend to run a proxy server to track usage, but still you'd be responsible for the downloads of others.

MC

Yes I think that would be a very important point - no matter what people might promise. Also bear in mind how you would be increasing the contention levels on just one connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

LOL yes Sir, contention level of 256 : 1 is normal on our service ;)

Advertisement