Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Freshening up car's interior

Options
  • 15-09-2008 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭

Howdy, a bit of advice needed here if possible. Got a second hand car last week and although it was very clean, there is still a lingering trace of cigarettes in it. I'm slightly OCD when it comes to things like this and want to remove it ..... myself.
    The seats are leather so they can't really be shampooed. Also, I really want to give the interior a really good scrubbing myself. I'm one of these people who likes to do these things myself instead of sending to to a car valet.
    Has anyone any recommendations as to what to do or what products they would use to give the car a good going over inside?
    Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

get into the car the morning after a massive feed of guinness and curry, wind up the windows and let rip a few times. ever after, the smell of cigarettes will be positively sublime.

- edit: air it out and spray febreeze all around (including the floor) for a week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Heroditas wrote: »
    Howdy, a bit of advice needed here if possible. Got a second hand car last week and although it was very clean, there is still a lingering trace of cigarettes in it. I'm slightly OCD when it comes to things like this and want to remove it ..... myself.
    The seats are leather so they can't really be shampooed. Also, I really want to give the interior a really good scrubbing myself. I'm one of these people who likes to do these things myself instead of sending to to a car valet.
    Has anyone any recommendations as to what to do or what products they would use to give the car a good going over inside?
    Thanks in advance. :)

for the leather get some gliptone leather cleaner and gliptone leather conditioner, that will clean the leather and give it a lovely leather smell.

id also get one of those comma air con refresher sprays.

After that id give everything a good clean and fabreze or similar all the carpets and head linings until the smell goes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

have a bath:D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

The thing about ciggerette smoke is it gets EVERYWHERE.

You need to clean the matts, carpets (incl. under seats), headliner etc. Basically any fabric in the car needs to be scrubbed and then freshened up by something like Febreeze. If you have access to a wet-vac it'll come in handy.

You'd also want to scrub the dashboard plastics/inside of windows...as the smoke inside the car can form a film over them.

Why anyone smokes in a car, i'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Cut a couple of onions in half and leave them in the car over night will get rid of the cig smell and then clean the car as normal and air and the onion smell will be gone.

I was told that baking soda is great for getting rid of smells when your cleaning fabrics etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement