Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat Panda 1.1 Active timing 'chain'

Options
  • 15-09-2008 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

Wife's (new model) Panda (Active, 2004) approaching 50k km. She's just had it serviced, with the tool who serviced it enquiring if she wants the belt done.

Cue us wondering ...

(A) We think it has a chain, so it does not need to be changed, we think, a this low mileage - and (b) what needs to be done to 'check' it?

A phone call to the main dealer suggested a 'replacement' @€;350, but that seems entirely unnecessary banditry on their part, especially since the manual refers to a check on the timing belt at 60k, with replacement at 120k.

Is it a good idea to leave well enough alone, and get it 'visualed' at next service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its a belt. It is, however, a non-interference engine so if the belt snaps - the belt has snapped and thats about it. The engine isn't destroyed. I'd get it changed at 60k - was intending to do so on my 1.1 Active till I sold it there a few weeks ago. 50k is too early.

edit: I'm talking miles, sorry. 50,000 km is WAAAY too early for its interval, unless the car is actually pushing 4 years old already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

it's a non-interference engine with a belt.
    If you are tight for cash you could leave it be until it snaps and then all that would happen is that you are left stranded on the side of the road.
    as the engine is under little strain in a very light car like the panda the belt lasts longer than in a Punto.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MYOB wrote: »
    edit: I'm talking miles, sorry. 50,000 km is WAAAY too early for its interval, unless the car is actually pushing 4 years old already.

OP could well be talking miles too and just put in km by mistake. 04 would have miles on rather than km wouldnt it?

Mine did, yes.

I found a copy of an old service sheet here - the one the dealers use - and it has timing belt down as every 72,000 MILES or 5 years - whichever comes earlier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement