Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tail-end charlie's...

Options
  • 15-09-2008 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭

So me and my mate were out for a spin on Sat avo, we passed a fella on a mountain bike at a set of traffic lights and carried on without a thought, about a mile or two later we realised he was sitting on our wheel and at a set of red lights he drifted past us and took off, we caught him pretty quick and passed him again and sure enough after another few miles we could hear him back on our wheels, just when it was starting to get annoying he turned left and off he went.

Less than a mile later as we'd just faced into a fairly harsh head wind we heard the clickety click of gears right on our wheel yet again, this time a fella on a road bike, so as me and my mate took turns burying ourselves into the headwind, he just coasted along around a metre from our back wheels for about 5 miles, never passing us, never falling too far behind, no doubt just enjoying the free ride.

The point to my rambling is that I want to suss out what you guys think about these "tail-end Charlie's" as I call them, I'm all for chatting and cycling with new people but I think its very cheeky to sit on someones wheel without saying hi and taking a turn or something, and it happens a fair bit, to me anyway, would it be cheeky to turn around and tell him to either take a turn or feck off? Its especially frustrating when you're dying coz of the headwind and he's just tapping away, and I do think its happening more and more so I'll have to decide on an action plan soon!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I posted here once about a chap behind me on the Wicklow 200 who didn't come through. It turned out to be one of our forum members, although I didn't know that at the time :o To be fair though, we were both tired, and I just happend to be the unlucky one who found himself at the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

Well it'd be gas if one of the charlies was a member here but I still don't think it'd excuse anything, for me its a bit of a cardinal sin not to take your turn, even when everyone's suffering, obviously if they're in a heap and you're not then thats fair enough but when they're just enjoying the slipstream for mile after mile then its a bit cheeky - I'm thinking next time I'll just drop back after a mile or two and sit on his wheel!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Raam wrote: »
    I posted here once about a chap behind me on the Wicklow 200 who didn't come through. It turned out to be one of our forum members, although I didn't know that at the time :o To be fair though, we were both tired, and I just happend to be the unlucky one who found himself at the front.

That was one of the funniest threads in a long time... "some fecker was all over my back wheel...grrrr"... "um, that was me, I was dying at the time"... "oops!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I am not the most experienced road cyclist (other than commuting), only having gotten hot by the cycling bug this year. So in that regard, I am not sure of what the etiquette is.

I would be often in a situation when exhaustion sets in, but would usually slow down rthaer than take cover on someones tail. To be honest, I would be very embarassed to be pulled along for an entire journey. ONly once did someone tail me, and that was doing laps in the Phoenix Park a few weeks back. There was no wind to speak of, so I was slightly miffed that this bloke on a far better bike than I slipstremed behind me for the best part of four laps. I accelerated he was there, I slowed down, he slowed. It was very frustrating. He never once said hi, was like a constant shadow. I felt violated and not in a good way.

ROK ON wrote: »
    I felt violated and not in a good way.

Haha yeah thats what I mean, it just seems really sneaky to me, and it ruins your spin coz you're trying not to look like a slow coach, so you inevitably bury yourself just to keep face, even though its really the tailgater that should be ashamed of himself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

ROK ON wrote: »
    ONly once did someone tail me, and that was doing laps in the Phoenix Park a few weeks back. There was no wind to speak of, so I was slightly miffed that this bloke on a far better bike than I slipstremed behind me for the best part of four laps. I accelerated he was there, I slowed down, he slowed. It was very frustrating. He never once said hi, was like a constant shadow. I felt violated and not in a good way.

Same story cycling home once. Drove me nuts, no acknowledgment at all when I peeled off for my turn and was parallel to him, looking at him. Not being a roadie and not being familiar with cycling in groups etc, I don't feel comfortable with some stranger glued to my rear wheel.

Re Tackleberry's story. Maybe the mountain biker guy was just trying to have a race, catch up with the roadies, show em what for type of thing. Although overtaking at a traffic lights is vile behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Happens to me from time to time i dont really mind too much it just gives me a bit more motivation to pedal a bit harder and see if they can keep up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Maybe it's time to add a handful of thumbtacks to the list of things to bring on a spin so :D Just be sure to keep it in a different pocket to your spare tube!

kenmc wrote: »
    Maybe it's time to add a handful of thumbtacks to the list of things to bring on a spin so :D Just be sure to keep it in a different pocket to your spare tube!

Jesus not a bad idea kenmc, altho you'd prob end up snottin yourself for your sins.

I've bin a roadie as long as I can remember and as far as I'm concerned you take your turn unless you're suffering like a dog, and even then the least you can do is say hi, or thanks, or complement the awesomeness of person towing you along!!

As for the mountie trying to race the roadies, sure he'd no chance....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Personally I would prefer someone like that behind me rather than in front of me, he will probably only slow you down and be more of a hazard in general. I don't like having someone leading who doesn't really know what they are doing, scary feeling.

That being said, I must hang my head in shame. Myself and 72hundred (both on our road bikes) drafted behind a group of four middle aged cyclists on hybrids (complete with loaded panniers) for a kilometer or two. I think it was just shear laziness at that point, we eventually passed them :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Just pull your trousers down and take a dump.

Should clear any tailgaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

on more than one occasion i found myself playing cat and mouse to a mountie on my route home. I'd pass him(free wheeling!), trackstanding at lights, he'd pass me at the red and 100 meters later i pass him(free wheeling!)
    After a couple of days of this I notice he's on a super high end bike. Being an ex mountie i struck up a conversation. "nice bike!" "do you race it?" " i used to race too"

Last I ever saw of him!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Just pull your trousers down and take a dump.

Should clear any tailgaters.

that made me laugh out loud, too loud for the office, should be working...oops!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

It pretty simple -- if someones ridding your wheel... put the breaks on a little and often.... first time you'll scare the living crap out of them. If you have to do it the second time he'll start thinking this guy it whacked... If you have to do it a third time pull over its probably the TV licence inspector chasing you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    That being said, I must hang my head in shame. Myself and 72hundred (both on our road bikes) drafted behind a group of four middle aged cyclists on hybrids (complete with loaded panniers) for a kilometer or two. I think it was just shear laziness at that point, we eventually passed them :o

Shhhhh! You weren't meant to mention that! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Could you not just turn aroud and say 'get off my tail' ?

I don't tailgate but i have been guilty of doing the following on the way home from work while bored. Someone passes so I up the pace a bit and stay about 30-40 yards behind. After a while they check to see if ur still there. and you are so they up the pace a bit again. I up pace. This goes on and on till they turn off, drop me, or drop their pace so much I have to pass. (is this bad form?)

My other game is seeing if I can catch a light breaker by the next set of lights, self explanatory really.

Could you not just turn aroud and say 'get off my tail' ?
    Better to cheerfully say, "c'mon up :)", or just beckon for them to come up.

Raam wrote: »
    Better to cheerfully say, "c'mon up :)", or just beckon for them to come up.
    Well my yes, my point wasn't to be rude but rather to say something. Rather than wondering If they'll just go away.

actually i've changed my mind again...say the following.

Would you like to follow me all the way home and perhaps stand behind me in the shower too?

Would you like to lie in the bed with me while I hump the missus too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

actually i've changed my mind again...say the following.

Would you like to follow me all the way home and perhaps stand behind me in the shower too?

Would you like to lie in the bed with me while I hump the missus too?

Only advisable if you can definitely drop them ....... in case they say fine I'll tail you all the way home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

That was one of the funniest threads in a long time... "some fecker was all over my back wheel...grrrr"... "um, that was me, I was dying at the time"... "oops!" :D

Lets not forget that I was the offender claimed to be descending from the Wicklow Gap at the time and couldn't spin my his compact crankset fast enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

peterk19 wrote: »
    it just gives me a bit more motivation to pedal a bit harder and see if they can keep up

defo am guilty on this one especailly if there not goin to acknowledge their presence...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

I cycled a bit in California a few months back and everytime i looked over my should there was someone on my wheel. Easy solution 53x11 and drop that wheel sucker

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

Come on you stingy people.
    You aren't using your slip stream.
    It makes no difference to you if someone else benefits from it...it doesn't slow you down....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

Harpz wrote: »
    Come on you stingy people.
    You aren't using your slip stream.
    It makes no difference to you if someone else benefits from it...it doesn't slow you down....

In fact, having somebody close behind actually offers a slight aerodynamic advantage. Your drag is reduced, albeit not to the same extent that theirs is (or even close).

I was drafting a feller one day (uhm, back in my slow days) man, he stank so bad. I guess that's one solution :pac:

Yes, never draft behind something or someone smelly. Also, heading off on the morning commute while the bin lorry is doing its rounds is a big no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Look at it this way. If you are in front working hard, you are getting fitter. It is all very well to sit on but you are not going to get anywhere near as much exercise. When someone is on your wheel, put your head down, pick a big gear and go as hard as you can without looking around. At the next set of lights, take a deep breath and look casually around and without sounding knackered say "hows it going". NEVER show you are suffering.

I dont mind people drafting me (although in commuting I'm not sure how much benefit there is unless its a strong headwind) but i hate when some lad is behind you, crawling along, then passes you to hop through a red light. You pass him again a few seconds later, next red light he passes you again.

Oh, the stubborness of the casual commuter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

yeah that is annoying, especially if they bump off you as they wobble past, through the lights, scattering the pedestrians.
    Couple of weeks ago some lad was in the middle of said manouver, the lights went green and his chain fell off as he tried to go around me. I couldn't help but chuckle rather loudly as I went by him :D

Advertisement