Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairspray: The School Musical

Options
  • 15-09-2008 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭

Anyone watching this on Sky One??? I missed the very first episode, watched last week's and then missed yesterday's, but I'll catch it on repeat tonight.

I have to say, from what I've seen so far, I can't see this being a fantastic production. At least talent-wise, anway. Core production values will probably be quite high because the budget (presumably) will be coming from Sky, but their Link just isn't leading man material (and isn't a particularly good singer), their Tracy is only OK and the rest of the cast seem mediocre at best.

Will be interesting to see how this one pans out...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 exbootie

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Anyone watching this on Sky One??? I missed the very first episode, watched last week's and then missed yesterday's, but I'll catch it on repeat tonight.

I have to say, from what I've seen so far, I can't see this being a fantastic production. At least talent-wise, anway. Core production values will probably be quite high because the budget (presumably) will be coming from Sky, but their Link just isn't leading man material (and isn't a particularly good singer), their Tracy is only OK and the rest of the cast seem mediocre at best.

Will be interesting to see how this one pans out...

What is it about women and musicals ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

exbootie wrote: »

It's a Musical Forum, what the hell did you expect???

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

exbootie wrote: »

What an intelligent reply...

Keepin on thread, I havent seenan episode of it yet Honey, but been hearing pretty much the same thing, that Link is useless etc. But then again, it is a school production, we cant really be expecting a Zac Efron style performance from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I love this programme! I've only seen two episodes and i missed last night's. :( Yer man Link is fairly desperate alright, grand little actor but a woeful singer.

Is it just me or were they pretty generous putting through alot of people? There are a fair few dodgy singers in there imo...

Yeah, I mean, it's a huge school, you'd think they'd have got a bit more stand-out talent just through the law of averages. The only one who really stood out to me was Motormouth, although I will admit that I didn't see the whole audition process.

Fonpokno, yesterday's episode will be repeated tonight on Sky 2.

• Advertisement

Damn I don't have sky 2... I think it's repeated on Saturday on Sky 1 maybe...? :confused:

Motormouth was deadly! She's really really good. Both Tracy and Link are a bit crappy imo! poor dotes...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

moter mouth and penny are the best.

in wihtout love penny outshine link,tracey and seaweed even though shes only a small role in comparison

still love it

oh and billys back!
    swoon
    :P

Anyone still following this?

I have to say, yer man Will (Corny Collins) really surprised and impressed me when they did Nicest Kids in Town for the producer on Sunday. Looking at him and listening to him, you really wouldn't think he'd be suitable for the role in a fit, but he was really quite good - he just needs to up the cheese factor a bit!

Yep, I'm still following it religiously!

Yeah, I thought he was really good, wasn't expecting it at all! You're right, upping the cheese and a bit more energy and he'll be deadly!

Francesco is improving slightly.... slightly. His singing is still so dodgy!

francescos hair eep
    they should have left it as it was

• Advertisement

Yeah he looks about 30 with the hair...

The whole thing is all so very dodgy.

And Denise van Outen going out with Lee Mead?? :eek: shocking!

aww i love lee mead.
    he's a adorable.i jsut wanna pinch his cheeks:P

i dont think itll turn out that well on the night really.though sean who is playing edna improved alot but with the added costume and make up he could go far too over the top.

Lee Mead is delicious. And such a singer. And he is just fab.

Yeah I think it's looking highly dodgy atm, god only knows how it's going to turn out. There just seems to be a major lack of talent really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Sligo 2008

It's a really good musical

I can't believe that Edna was Michael Ball!!! I wouldn't have recognised him in a million years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

I wonder how it will do in the West End this weekend. I don't think it'll be amazing though. It'll either be car crash or just meh.

I've missed the programme the last two weeks, I'm never home on a sunday evening anymore... Is the show this weekend?

The kids just aren't all that talented... There's only so much you can do with kids like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Christopher cap

Good Musical.

Yep, the performance is on this Sunday. They obviously aren't showing the whole thing, though, as the programme is only scheduled for 1.5 hours and that's including the footage from the dress rehearsal too.

What in God's name was the point of doing this whole series if they're not even going to show the entire performance??? I'm feeling very short-changed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 aingeal gheal

Yeah - I agree about being short-changed.
    The least they could do is show the full thing. Maybe they will the following week - who knows!

I'm pretty much in agreement with all the above. Motormouth and Penny are superb, Corny Collins is excellent, coming out of nowhere, and I quite like the Dynamites. Tracy is only ok. Link and Seaweed are pretty horrific. Edna is trying so hard but just not quite getting it. As for little 12 year old Alex - how could you but love him??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Trust Me

They aren't showing the full thing? Damn!

*removes reminder*

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

The show was performed about month ago, if they don't show the whole thing they should show a montage of all the songs.Since it stated I've been looking at youtube , and watch all the video of the songs , I'm now hooked . My favs are Mama I am a Big Girl Now and Without Love.I also think they concentrated too much, on some of the kids we haven't seen any of the one that plays Penny, and Penny has the best lines .

my dad recorded it for me because i was at dancing...cant eait to watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I have to say, having watched the whole thig from the start and bein a bit of a performer myself i thought they did fairly well!!

I fecking forgot to watch this bloody thing. I'll have to hunt down a repeat somewhere... Damn.

What did ye think of it anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

They did ok, though I was disappointed some numbers were left out, maybe the they were there but SKY just edit them out for time .Also where was Ambers mother ? Most of Penny’s line were cut!
    The people that stood out were Will , Sean, and little Alex .

just watched it today and will stood out amazingly!

he seemed so different from the lad he was at the start of the show...hes really great!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Finally saw the performance. And was utterly disappointed. Maybe my expectations were too high but I thought some of it, especially the singing, was really dodgy. And my god the girl who played Tracey was sharp the whole way through...

Don't want to be too harsh though. Some of the kids were great. And it's still one of the most super happy fun musicals ever.

I'm never gonna get to see this! Damn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement