Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator Problem

Options
  • 15-09-2008 11:26am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys, I have a radiator problem. The radiator in the upstairs bathroom is not heating up at all.

The rest of fine but my plumbing knowledge stops at connecting a washing machine.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'm not a plumber but if the rad is warm at the bottom it might just need to be bled.
    Get a rad "bleed key" in any supermarket of hardware store. Oil screw then Use key to loosen nut at top of rad, until water starts to drip out. Tighten up screw carefully.
    (I turned a key too much and broke the screw on an old rad, eventually had to replaced rad)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Also check the outlet valve -- it's the one that has a crosshead screw spindle rather than a knob. Make sure it's fully open. If the rad has a thermostatic inlet valve, turn it from minimum to maximum and back a few times as it might be sticking (they do). Alternatively take off the thermostat head and make sure the valve is actually opening properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Sorry to hijak this post, but thanks for the advice! Worked a treat on my new towel rail that was hot down below but cold up top!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

if your satisfied its turned on on both valves either side of the rad you could try turning off a few of your other radiators for a couple of minutes.
    often after a few months of not being used the water in some radiators can become stagnent so turning the other rads off will force the flow through it,
    thats a common problem this time of year,other then that it could be a hundred things, rad valve jammed,trv head faulty, sludge, low pressure,system off balance, to name but a few problems

Advertisement