Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned dog

Options
  • 15-09-2008 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Folks,
    A dog was abandoned near my house on Friday. A neighbour saw her (I think) being dropped out of a van. She has been in my garden since Saturday morning but i'm really not in the position to keep her. The pound will take her but i'd prefer to put her in a shelter so she won't be destroyed. Does anyone know a number? I've tried the Animal Welfare but keep getting the answering machine.
    I'm beyond angry that someone would dump a dog rather than take the trouble to put it in a shelter/pound. I live in the country, there's livestock all over the place, this dog could turn on these animals out of starvation and damage a farmers livelihood. At least we have the reg of the van so we can report them.:mad:
    Please help, she's a lovely but lively thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Howdy,

Try contacting:
    http://www.limerickanimalwelfare.com/

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

a description of type of dog might help. maybe a pic

edit:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054958719&page=15
    posting it here might find it a new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Thanks for the info on the Animal Welfare group. The woman there said they were choc-a-bloc and couldn't take any more dogs. She sounded genuinely sorry so it's off to the pound tomorrow.
    I can't keep her around anymore. I'm living in fear she'll start worrying the livestock nearby and can't have her in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

OMG, I would be realy sorry if you had to bring this dog to the pound.
    What breed/age/size of dog is it?

Musha, I'm afraid I took her in today. She's a lovely looking dog, very sleek and black about 2ft head height. I'd say she's coming up on a year old as she chews everything - particularly fond of childrens plastic toys. She is very frisky, jumps up alot but good natured too. I have a 3 & 4 year old and she jumped up on them and scratched their faces so she wouldn't suit a family of very small kids. Saying that she was extremely good tempered with them. She's clever too cause she figured out how to open my front door.
    I don't have a front wall on my garden and with the young kids and a small baby we weren't in a position to care for her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Sorry to hear that, I know that it takes a good few months to train a dog,
    Our girl is just settling down now after nearly a year. She about 18mths old
    and was a rescue dog. Hubby even trainned her to poo in the front garden and not the back so the kids can play there without us worrying, (now it is Badgers and Foxes :o )
    But the Hubby would have killed me if I brought any more animals into the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Nimblepixie

That sucks. Anyone who abandons animals should be imprisoned.

We found a little kitten 2 years ago. Called Limerick Animal Welfare who were beyond useless. I kow they're busy etc and they do good work but they just said they were full and hung up. We ended up keeping her and she's a lovely little thing.

The little black dog has probably been put to sleep already but at least he's not wandering around the roads being hit by cars or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Actually, the Limerick pound have really pulled their socks up in terms of rehoming, so this little one stands a really good chance of getting a home.

Sorry you felt let down by LAW's response, Nimblepixie. The person you spoke to - a full-time volunteer - probably had a bad call or two before you rang. No excuse I know but the phone is tough going at the best of times as people can be so impatient and demanding - abusive, even. We do try our very best, but if all our spaces are full at the sanctuary we have to wait until some of the animals are rehomed before we can take in more, so we operate a waiting list. Have a look at our website and scroll down through all the dogs and cats that are ready for rehoming!

www.limerickanimalwelfare.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Nimblepixie

Boomerang, I understand you are very busy and full. I didn't once question that. What I did object to was the way in which I rang asking for help with a tiny kitten I thought I couldn't keep and recieved a very curt reply. I was trying to help the kitten (who is now known as Minnie) yet it seemed like she didn't care. You guys do amazing work, no question.

I do understand the incredibly hard work, both physically and emotionally, LAW does. If I told you my real name you would be able to see that I donate to LAW online on a very regular basis.

By the way, it might be a nice idea to organise some sort of confirmation you have received online donations. An automated one would be great so it wouldn't require any manpower. I received an e-mail from someone called Niamh once but any other donations might be floating off into oblivion.

Totally take on board what you say Nimblepixie, if you were to ring us today, I think you'd find a much more sympathetic response.

I got a call a little while earlier from a very nice lady in Corbally. A cat has strayed in to her and she has been feeding it for the last three weeks. She can't keep the cat as her youngest son has asthma. There is no room in the sanctuary for another cat so I am trying to figure out how to help... This probably means she'll have to go in my spare room here at home. (The cat now, not the lady, LOL!) She needs to be spayed and vaccinated asap. I'll be driving over there this evening or tomorrow evening to pick her up - on my own time and in my capacity as a volunteer of course.

So when I say we do our best - this is a good example. We want to help, we will do our best, but we can't work miracles and we can't always provide an instant solution... People who've never had contact with a rescue group just can't understand that. In fact, a lot of people think we are publically funded and think we should be able to do everything on demand. I work in a call centre, but some of the calls I get for LAW are worse than the calls I get at work!

Last I heard, we now have one volunteer responsible for emailing everyone who makes an online donation to us - both as a courtesy to confirm we received the donation, and to express our thanks. This step was taken recently :)

Thanks for your support!

• Advertisement

The Pound as far as I know took on some new staff recently,

I heard lots of negative things from people in the past about its facilities if its the one
    that was down near Mungret and also trying to contact the place used to be difficult.
    Its Great news if things have improved. My Girlfriend applied for a job there before but
    did not get it, I dont think she would have had the heart for it though if it ment that the
    poor dogs had to be put down.

LAW do great work and often have a thankless job pity there is no
    government funding. We donate when we can (not online) but we
    have our hands full Looking after our own animals (and out wallets emptied in doing so)

I've heard quite a few stories of people ringing LAW and getting a not so pleasant response from whatever volunteer answering the phone at the other end but we all of bad days I guess. I know people that work with dogs and deal with callers and members
    of the public and its un-believably stressful. (and not the most pleseant when the
    person at the end of the day needs to vent all that stress onto the nearest person to them........:p )

Since cats/kittens were mentioned............
    A good while back we made the mistake of feeding two feral cats that could not be
    caught to get the snip snip. A few years later end result was nearly all the cats
    you see in the below pics. Now Every female in the neighbour hood is spayed/neutered
    and there is only 2 Entact Tom's left. One of the Toms has had a broken leg we think for the
    last 2 years but hobbles around fine, the other Tom is nearly blind from eye infections and injury's
    Both we cant help as it would mean keeping them inside after vet treatment (which we cant do
    due to other animals)

We have spend thousands of Euros on Feeding, Neutering and on vet bills on these
    little fur balls. Have not gone away from even for weekend's holiday since 2005!!!
    Currently we've got about 12-14ish 4 legged feline friends, and some regular dog visitors.

http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w70/bullets_ie/cats/?start=all

Morale of the story, if you feed a stray and you want to help it, Take the Hit of 70 Euros
    to get it neutered or spayed if you can. Not sure about LAW but the LSPCA sometimes
    offer to pay Half the costs of neutering. You can obtain a docket from them to bring to
    some Vets. (They only make the dockets out to certain vets though as I was talking to
    one of my local vets and they dont use him and he would be willing to accept them)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

A few months ago I rang LAW as I was looking for two dogs to adopt, one for me and one for a friend of mine. I was told to ring back. I emailed the address on the website requesting info so I could adopt and I was told to ring a number, which when I rang went unanswered so I texted a mobile number I picked up during my enquiries.

Bottom line I found it impossible to get in contact with somebody who could help me adopt. Not just one dog, but two. Anyway, my friend ended up getting a pup through a friend of a friend and I just changed my mind. We have three dogs already.

I know I'll be slated for saying this but if Limerick Animal Welfare want to rehome some of their animals they should start by answering their phone or following up on adoption enquiries. I understand the volunteers are up to their eyes but rehoming to good homes should be a priority. I doubt I am not the only person who has experienced this problem.

That's just the thing - we do answer the phone - it rings on average every ten minutes or so, sometimes more, while we are also trying to do the day-to-day work of cleaning, feeding etc. and also speaking with people dropping in. When I volunteer at the sanctuary, I'm usually cleaning out a rabbit hutch or drying off a dog with one hand, and answering the phone with the other! Every day we're just rushed off our feet. Ideally we would have someone just to answer the phones and nothing else but right now we can't afford that. It's really frustrating when you're on the phone to someone who's called looking for advice and you can hear the "beeps" in the background telling you there's someone else trying to get through. (Last week a lady rang for advice on getting a second dog and it took twenty minutes to discuss. In that time, I'd missed at least four calls, which went through to the answering machine because the line was busy.) So, by the time you come off the phone, there's several voicemails left on the answering machine, but it rings again before you have a chance to listen to all of them and call people back... We're the whole day trying to keep up with the calls and the voicemails. We do try to answer every call as it comes in. Not only could it be someone looking to give a great home to a dog or cat - but it could be someone reporting an emergency situation too, as is often the case.

All I can say folks is please be patient with us!

I just had a look on the LAW website and found a dog I'd absolutely adore(well, there were loads I'd love but have only room for 1).

I have called the number on the website and left a voicemail. I've also sent a text so fingers crossed something good happens. There wasn't any update about the dog being booked to go to a home so hopefully he is available for adoption.

I'll contact LAW again in the morning - wish me luck!

I have to say that when I rang LAW about the stray I got through to the number on the website straight away (I rang early in the morning). The woman was extremely polite and apologetic about not being able to take the dog and offered to give me the number of the pound. I found the call to be very professional for what is a VOLUNTARY organisation. As Boomerang said they are run off their feet - keep trying, the moggies and pooches deserve it.

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    I just had a look on the LAW website and found a dog I'd absolutely adore(well, there were loads I'd love but have only room for 1).

I have called the number on the website and left a voicemail. I've also sent a text so fingers crossed something good happens. There wasn't any update about the dog being booked to go to a home so hopefully he is available for adoption.

I'll contact LAW again in the morning - wish me luck!

Don't wait for LAW to find a minute to read your text or respond to your voicemail - we are short-staffed this week so it's really hectic! Ring the Sanctuary landline - 063 91110 - and if you don't get through, keep trying! It's answered up to 5pm.

Which dog is it? I may be able to point you in the right direction.

I called during lunch and was advised the dog I wanted, Turvy, was available and my name is down to bring him home. My partner is going to collect him tomorrow. I'm so excited. I've been looking for a small terrier for indoors for a long time now and I feel I've found exactly what I've been looking for. The dog will be loved by all the family and treated as such. I just can't wait now to get him him.

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    I called during lunch and was advised the dog I wanted, Turvy, was available and my name is down to bring him home. My partner is going to collect him tomorrow. I'm so excited. I've been looking for a small terrier for indoors for a long time now and I feel I've found exactly what I've been looking for. The dog will be loved by all the family and treated as such. I just can't wait now to get him him.

Glad to here that. He looks like an older dog too so its nice for them
    to get a 2nd chance.

I wonder if one of LAW's dogs gets rehomed does that mean it frees up a
    space for another?

I cant help but think Its only a pity that he couldnt of been
    rehomed a few days earlier. It may have freed up a space for the poor fella that
    needed to be sent to the pound by the Original poster.

~B

bullets wrote: »
    He looks like an older dog too so its nice for them
    to get a 2nd chance.
    ~B

Would you believe he is only 18months. He looks alot older than what he is. He is lovely though. I can't wait to bring him home.

The twins Bronte and Soda are beautiful. I only wish I had the room for them. They will make somebody very very happy. I just hope they are not separated when they are rehomed.

WOW he look like an awl fella!

I keep looking that the page and wanting to take them all home alas cannot

~B

• Advertisement
Advertisement