Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New LLU wholesale prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Must be the funniest title of a report I've seen in years, €ircon reviewing after a comreg intervention, yeah right...

* Eircom to reduce Local Loop Unbundling Ancillary Charges following ComReg Review

LOL

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The last Comreg directive that Eircom appealed to, followed by Comregs U-turn was to do with line share pricing, ie. the line rental price that Eircom charge to LLU operators.
    This is different and has more to do with access costs to exchanges, connection costs, engineer visits and the like.

?
    kaizersoze wrote: »
    The last Comreg directive that Eircom appealed to, followed by Comregs U-turn was to do with line share pricing, ie. the line rental price that Eircom charge to LLU operators.
    This is different and has more to do with access costs to exchanges, connection costs, engineer visits and the like.

?

What needs explaining?

Just the thought that Comreg think they can make Eircon do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd imagine that this will be of more benefit to BT and Magnet then it will be to Smart.

These cost reductions mostly benefit unbundling new exchanges, rather then on going costs.

So given that Smart already has lots of exchanges unbundled, while Magnet and BT only have a few, it is likely to be more of an advantage to them, allowing them to unblundle new exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Bit of both to be fair.....it applies to some ongoing costs.

It's a small step in the right direction but only a small step.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

crawler wrote: »
    Bit of both to be fair.....it applies to some ongoing costs.

It's a small step in the right direction but only a small step.

Yes, there are some discounts, but I'd say you guys are disappointed that Comreg caved on the LLU line rental reduction, it would have been much more beneficial.

bk wrote: »
    I'd imagine that this will be of more benefit to BT and Magnet then it will be to Smart.

These cost reductions mostly benefit unbundling new exchanges, rather then on going costs.

So given that Smart already has lots of exchanges unbundled, while Magnet and BT only have a few, it is likely to be more of an advantage to them, allowing them to unblundle new exchanges.

BT have 54 or 55 unbundled. Smart have somewhere between 30 and 40 at the most I'd say.

BT have 54 or 55 unbundled. Smart have somewhere between 30 and 40 at the most I'd say.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I think BT have only about 20 and they are listed here:

http://www.btireland.ie/llu_exchanges.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I think BT have only about 20 and they are listed here:

http://www.btireland.ie/llu_exchanges.shtml

There's more than one exchange listed in some of those regions. Looks like almost 60 in total to me.

Onikage wrote: »
    There's more than one exchange listed in some of those regions. Looks like almost 60 in total to me.

No the opposite, each exchange serves a number of areas, e.g:

Dolphin's Barn exchange:
    Parts of Dublin 8, Cork Street, Thomas Street, The Coombe, The Liberties

So the Dolphins Barn exchange serves all those areas, it is really quiet clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

That list does look understated. Wasn't Roches St, in Limerick, one of the first to be unbundled (and heavily grant-aided at that).

Anyway IrelandOffline last had the list as per this post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

So the Dolphins Barn exchange serves all those areas, it is really quiet clear.

Clear to a sober person, maybe!

We can also take it that the list of exchanges on the BT site is just for exchanges where 24Mb is now availble and not a complete list of all their llu exchanges.

cgarvey wrote: »
    That list does look understated. Wasn't Roches St, in Limerick, one of the first to be unbundled (and heavily grant-aided at that).

Anyway IrelandOffline last had the list as per this post

That is interesting it looks like they are only offering the 24mb/s on exchanges mostly in Dublin. I assume they most not have sufficient backhaul for the exchanges out side Dublin. Looks like they need to do a deal with the ESB Network and E-NET for the MANS to enable these other exchanges.

That is interesting it looks like they are only offering the 24mb/s on exchanges mostly in Dublin. I assume they most not have sufficient backhaul for the exchanges out side Dublin. Looks like they need to do a deal with the ESB Network and E-NET for the MANS to enable these other exchanges.

This an updated list of BT unbundled exchanges. 49 in the list but I was told of 5 more that I forgot to take note of.
    • Arklow
    • Athlone HPO
    • Ballina
    • Ballincollig, Co.Cork
    • Ballinasloe
    • Beggars Bush, Dublin 4
    • Belcamp, Dublin
    • Blanchardstown, Dublin
    • Churchfield, Cork
    • Clondalkin, Dublin
    • Clonmel, Clonmel
    • Cork Central, Cork
    • Crown Alley, Dublin 2
    • Dolphins Barn, Dublin 12
    • Dooradoyle, Limerick
    • Douglas, Cork
    • Drogheda, Drogheda
    • Dunlaoghaire, Co. Dublin
    • Enniscorthy, Enniscorthy
    • Foxrock, Dublin 18
    • Galway, Galway
    • Gorey
    • Greystones
    • Kilkenny, Kilkenny
    • Killarney, Killarney
    • Mallow, Mallow
    • Merrion, Dublin
    • Mervue, Galway
    • Mullingar, Mullingar
    • Naas, Kildare
    • Navan, Navan
    • North Main, Dublin 2
    • Nutley, Dublin 4
    • Portlaoise, Portlaoise
    • Quaker Road, Cork
    • Roslevin, Athlone
    • Ship Street, Dublin 2
    • Sligo, Sligo
    • Summerhill, Dublin 1
    • Swords, Dublin
    • Tallaght, Dublin 24
    • Terenure, Dublin 6W
    • Thurles, Thurles
    • Tralee, Tralee
    • Waterford Central, Waterford
    • Waterford Tycor, Waterford
    • Wexford, Wexford
    • Whitehall, Dublin 9
    • Wicklow, Wicklow

The list on the BT site are only the ones they upgraded to ADSL2+ and offering the higher speeds.
    All their LLU exchanges are located on or near their own fibre and they have no shortage of it. Some of the MANs and smaller ISPs use it for backhaul aswell.
    They're only offering the higher speeds mostly in Dublin for the same reason the other LLU operators do it...more potential customers.

The list on the BT site are only the ones they upgraded to ADSL2+ and offering the higher speeds.

I couldn't be happier to be proven wrong on this, the more people can get LLU the better.
    All their LLU exchanges are located on or near their own fibre and they have no shortage of it. Some of the MANs and smaller ISPs use it for backhaul aswell.
    They're only offering the higher speeds mostly in Dublin for the same reason the other LLU operators do it...more potential customers.

But then if there not offering 24mb BB, it isn't so great.

I don't think it is about density, other cities like Cork, etc. have equivalent densities, it seems like there just not bothered to use alternative backhaul like the MAN's and the ESB network.

Note other ISP's like UPC and Smart do offer BB outside Dublin via the MAN's and the ESB network. It just looks lazy by BT.

Advertisement