Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bhp/Litre

Options
  • 15-09-2008 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick question...

Now from what i can remember, one of the first normal production cars to break the 100/litre was the Fiat Uno Turbo. Am I right?

Nowadays this is a piece of piss, infact diesels are nearly managing this...:pac:

Question I have is, has any manufacturer broken the 200/litre yet or has that come and gone while I had my head buried in HGVs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Ah good find... though the only one I'm likely to see is the FQ400 and they are as rare as hobbie horse sh1te where I am!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The current M5 was the first normally aspirated petrol engine to break the 100bhp per litre mark. Sticking turbos and NOx tends to bump bhp figures way up as you can see from Mr. David's link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

kbannon wrote: »
    The current M5 was the first normally aspirated petrol engine to break the 100bhp per litre mark. Sticking turbos and NOx tends to bump bhp figures way up as you can see from Mr. David's link.

Was the S2000 not the first? The E46 M3 does too, it has been around longer than the E60 M5 too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Victor_M wrote: »
    Was the S2000 not the first? The E46 M3 does too, it has been around longer than the E60 M5 too.
    I think he means without the use of variable cams and timing.

I can only pray this doesn't descend into the usual babbling stream of Honda engine codes which flows whenever specific output is mentioned...

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    I think he means without the use of variable cams and timing.

I can only pray this doesn't descend into the usual babbling stream of Honda engine codes which flows whenever specific output is mentioned...
    Ha ha, the Honda boys love their engine codes!

I meant factory output.

No NOx or that sh1te. Variable cams I reckon are acceptable as are turbos and 'chargers

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Victor_M wrote: »
    You are indeed correct. I don't know why I had that in my mind - I should think before posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

kbannon wrote: »
    You are indeed correct. I don't know why I had that in my mind - I should think before posting!

The Civic was there long before the S2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

BHP/Litre - on turbo cars there are too many to mention. However N/A cars are a different ball game. They are still relatively few and far between. Honda, Mitsubishi and Nissan all had 1.6 litre N/A cars back in the mid 90's with 160bhp or more. Honda have 1.8's with around 190. BMW have the E36 M3 Evo, with 325 (approx) bhp from the 3.2 litre.
    The S2000 is fairly late in the game, but that has not far off 120bhp per litre. The Ferrari 355 is another case - 3.5 litre engine, what's the bhp? Something like 370 or 380 is it? Can't remember off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

honda S2000 has (was?) the highest bhp/litre from a normally aspirated engine but it wasn't the first to break the 100bhp/litre. (Fiat coupe 5-cyclinder turbos had 220 bhp from a 2 litre in the late 90's and they weren't first either)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automotive_superlatives#Most_specific_engine_output_.28power_per_unit_displacement.29

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

a 1996 JDM honda Integra Type R has 197bhh from a 1.8 engine : 109 bhp/L

pretty good imo, and am i right in saying that the S2000 didnt appear until after this?

edit : yep first appeared in 1999 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_S2000

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Nissan pulsar vzr n1 has ~197 bhp from a 1.6 litre engine :pac::pac:

~123 bhp/litre

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

The FQ400 would give you 200bhp per litre,albeit with the help of a turbo charger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

not entirely on topic but some interesting stuff here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automotive_superlatives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

again it's not entirely on topic but one thing i always found amazing was the amount of power produced by the most powerful engine ever seen in formula 1.

The BMW M12/13 F4t used in the Benetton B186.

It produced a claimed 1500bhp, in qualifying mode, from a 4 cylinder 1500cc engine! Yes thats 1000bhp per litre!!

benx86pe.htm

image here...

http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/other/benx86/benx86pe.htm

Even more amazingly the block was based on a production engine from the 1969 type 2002!

more info here...

http://www.research-racing.de/bmwturbo.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

kdevitt wrote: »
    The Civic was there long before the S2000.
    afaik the first was the jdm integra in 1989
    kbannon wrote:
    The current M5 was the first normally aspirated petrol engine to break the 100bhp per litre mark.
    thats the 2nd time in a matter of days that someone had thought a recent bmw was the first na over 100 per litre - is this a conspiracy!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    again it's not entirely on topic but one thing i always found amazing was the amount of power produced by the most powerful engine ever seen in formula 1.

Those mid 80s 1.5L turbo f1 engines were amazing, Like any turbo engine ya can just keep turning up the boost and the power will rocket, of course at the expense of relability. The engine would be run at about 800bhp normally for practice/race, but for the one qualifying lap the engineers would bump up the boost so at the engine would knock out 1200bhp+ (and as much as the 1500bhp claimed by bmw). Any more than one lap and the engine would more than likely blow I'd say!

I saw a program about these engines and the blocks were left outside in the rain prior to being built

Advertisement