Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Live looping? (without laptop)

• 15-09-2008 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hey there,

Looking for some advice with live looping. Want to start experimenting in that realm but don't want to get too lost down the audio technology rabbit hole....

What I'm after:
    I want to find a simple way of building up loops (small percussive stuff, voice), apply some effects, save patches, & be able to jump back & forth between different saved patches (as opposed to just building & building...).

I want to keep the gadgetry to a minimum (definitely don't want to get into laptop territory). I don't need loads of functionality & and am not concerned with getting pristine quality samples. Simplicity & ease of use are key.

Was looking at the Boss SP-303 - anyone have any experience with it? It seems to do what I need but it may be setup more as a sampler than a looper. One thing I would need is to be able to add a footswitch to control recording in loops, not sure if it allows this... The 26 effects really appeal to me too (even if they're low quality), just want to be able to mess with the sounds.

Was also looking at the RC-20 but it's pretty low on features outside of basic looping.

Any thoughts much appreciated.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

have you considered Ableton live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Nolberto

Zascar wrote: »
    Running ableton through a laptop you mean? Heard great things about the software alright but I'd prefer to keep the laptop out of it if possible.

At the same time I don't want to end up buying 3 new pieces of hardware to replace one either....

Will check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Zascar wrote: »

I second that motion...Ableton Live is the way to go. However deep you decide to delve into the "audio rabbit hole", this will be by far, the most sensible choice. Not to mention the economic sense of it all.

:pac:ACMAN:pac:

acman wrote: »
    I second that motion...Ableton Live is the way to go. However deep you decide to delve into the "audio rabbit hole", this will be by far, the most sensible choice. Not to mention the economic sense of it all.

:pac:ACMAN:pac:
    Had been hoping to keep the laptop out of the equation but will give ableton a go and see how I get on.

Would still be interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with any hardware loop stations/pedals.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

pioneer efx 1000.its expensive but got some good effects.
    theres also the redsound soundbite
    http://www.redsound.com/products

ive read countless reviews about this thing and its meant to be incredible for looping.plus its not too expensive

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

yes agreed, a mate has one and its very good. the Pioneer efx's are aparently good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

How about the boss RC 50, lots more features and in a different league to the rc 20.

I do a one man live act with it and my guitar and its awesome for my needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

Hows it going,

I've got a boss SP303 I'm not using if you're looking for a cheap alternative.

I've switched to laptop. The SP303 is dead handy, the only issue is that it does not have its own midi clock built in so if a loop is out at all it doesn't keep time 100%. It recommends in the user manual to take the midi clock signal from an external controler like a seperate sequencer, if that makes sense to you.
    I used it for DJing and dropping in vocal samples but the unit also has a fantastic effects section that can be used on the loops but also on external sources that can be ran through the unit, such as a microphone, guitar or an effects send from a mixer.

I've got a boss SP303 I'm not using if you're looking for a cheap alternative.
    I'd certainly be interested in taking a look!

What price would you be looking for? Good condition? Boxed with manuals?

The more I check stuff out the more I'm thinking a really basic loop pedal may be more what I'm after. But the effects on the 303 look great I have to say.

Also, to everyone who's replied re: Ableton, cheers for the advice & I realise it's a much more efficient way of doing it. But I don't want to go down the laptop route if at all possible.

I think I just just want/need to buy some new gear.... :o

Frankly, let us know the story with the 303.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

Nolberto wrote: »
    I'd certainly be interested in taking a look!

What price would you be looking for? Good condition? Boxed with manuals?

The more I check stuff out the more I'm thinking a really basic loop pedal may be more what I'm after. But the effects on the 303 look great I have to say.

Also, to everyone who's replied re: Ableton, cheers for the advice & I realise it's a much more efficient way of doing it. But I don't want to go down the laptop route if at all possible.

I think I just just want/need to buy some new gear.... :o

Frankly, let us know the story with the 303.

I'll PM you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement