Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Wicklow Ride -- 40 Miles

Options
  • 15-09-2008 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭

Anyone out there got a good route for a Wicklow newbie -- i ride around DNS at the moment but i need hills.. ... I think :eek:

Anything starting around a good safe place to park near Dundrum / Bray would be grand... I'll be driving down the m50.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Anyone out there got a good route for a Wicklow newbie -- i ride around DNS at the moment but i need hills.. ... I think :eek:

Anything starting around a good safe place to park near Dundrum / Bray would be grand... I'll be driving down the m50.

Road, or MTB?

A decent loop would be starting in Enniskerry, then out round by Glencree, over Sally Gap and back via Laragh... something like this -plenty of climbing, but worth it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Road, or MTB?

Road--- Great map thanks.... Obviously google rates me...
    Route -- Enniskerry, Wicklow, Co. Wicklow, Republic of Ireland
    65.1 km – about 1 hour 14 mins -- i'll give myself abit longer

I'll try and do this this weekend unless I go for a group ride... I'm in Portmarnock and was thinking about joining the SwordsCC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Road--- Great map thanks.... Obviously google rates me...
    Route -- Enniskerry, Wicklow, Co. Wicklow, Republic of Ireland
    65.1 km – about 1 hour 14 mins -- i'll give myself abit longer

I'll try and do this this weekend unless I go for a group ride... I'm in Portmarnock and was thinking about joining the SwordsCC

Enniskerry - Wicklow -Enniskerry is mostly flat, and along a main road, which may not be the nicest route around there. I'd really suggest heading for the hills and doing some climbing -even if it means you cut your distance a bit.

You could always join one of the boards spins (we go out most weekends from Dundrum)

Enniskerry - Wicklow -Enniskerry

sorry for the confusion -- I was just commenting on opening up your link to ee the times there....

I will join to boards spin once I've done this a few times.... Don't want to hold everyone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

DNS? De North Circular?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

cantalach wrote: »
    DNS? De North Circular?

De Nort Soide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

edit: fukit too slow.

niceonetom wrote: »
    edit: fukit too slow.

stahry bud?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

Understand now. The Cork equivalent would be DNSL (De Nort Side, Langer).

Road, or MTB?

A decent loop would be starting in Enniskerry, then out round by Glencree, over Sally Gap and back via Laragh... something like this -plenty of climbing, but worth it :)

Hugs Thanks to you... great ride. I did it today, left work early and went for a ride. The first bit was a killer but I really enjoyed it. I guess I need to find something harder and loner soon.

Oh yeah, tried to do this on Saturday as well but went a bit wrong on direction and ended up in Rathnew by Wicklow Town.... maybe I should have bought a GPS computer after all.

Do anyone know of a site where a bunch of different rides are listed... if not I guess I could write one... where people could upload routes.

• Advertisement

Hugs Thanks to you... great ride. I did it today, left work early and went for a ride. The first bit was a killer but I really enjoyed it. I guess I need to find something harder and loner soon.

Oh yeah, tried to do this on Saturday as well but went a bit wrong on direction and ended up in Rathnew by Wicklow Town.... maybe I should have bought a GPS computer after all.

Do anyone know of a site where a bunch of different rides are listed... if not I guess I could write one... where people could upload routes.

mapmyride.com has some. Best way to learn routes is head out with some people who already know them. Try the boards spins

Edit: beaten to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Drive out to Kilmacanogue on Saturday or Sunday morning for 10am, Bray Wheelers have their club spins at these times, the routes vary, but take in some hills, usually around 80km+.
    The meet point is under the flyover, you could go over this flyover and park in the Glencormac Inn car park.
    You are more than welcome to come along;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Sorrento are doing a 10am spin, casual, meet Kilpeddar, Saturday morning.
    3hrs. Easy going. Obviously hills, but we always wait for inexprerienced novices. There is never a problem. Believe you me.
    Meet under the bridge at Kilmacanogue. Most welcome. Small club ........but we have a Paralympic tandem cyclist amongst us. And a record holder who has done 22 Ras Tailteann concurrently.
    We also have a double National Track Champion in our midst, Aidan Ryan, who was also voted, '07, coach of the year.

Small club, but quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

pfft, driving to Wicklow. Talk about wimpage. You will never be a true cyclist.

Húrin wrote: »
    pfft, driving to Wicklow. Talk about wimpage. You will never be a true cyclist.

Sorry to disappoint you but wife, child on the way, job, etc.... I never was under the illusion I was going to be a cyclist...... unless of course I take CERA aparently its fine as long as you really want to win.

Advertisement