Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Slate Floor Tiles

Options
  • 15-09-2008 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi can anyone help
    We have put down Chinese Slate tiles in our Kitchen and applied the sealant, however the shinyness only lasts a few weeks. can anyone recommend anything to keep the shine.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,160 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi There,

just looking for some more info on how they were layed and what exactly was used to finish them. I suspect that a sealer only was used which just prevents moisture penetration and staining of the tile surface.i will give them a nice appearance but if you wanted a more obvious lustre you can us a wet look product its like a varnish for slate. There is Fila wet look which is applied twice in opposite directions once the first coat is dry.There is also a HG product its a liquid polish and water based good for small areas but a kitchen floor would need a good product so go with fila one. Best of luck with the job.

Regards
    Builditwell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I would definitely have to go with what builditwell has said above the shininess of the slate depends on the type of sealent that was applied before teh grouting.

There are a number of different products available. I have sold slate for years and have it on my own kitchen floor and the finish is nearly always entirely based on the sealer with some slight dependency on the porosity of the stone itself. As builditwell said HG have a high gloss finishing sealer I have used SMP products on mine as they are once a lifetime application (unless I choose to top it up :) )

Let us know what sealer you used and we may be able to help you further.

Regards
    Tommy

Advertisement